•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Parts from 92-94 Explorer to 86 B2?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I am saving my money now so that hopefully around Christmas time I will be able to buy a 92-94 ford explorer. I am buying the truck to use the d35 axle and the engine to put in my 86 B2. My question is what else can I swap from the explorer to the B2 without any major fabrication because I am only a novice mechanic. My B2 is a 5 speed now but when I swap it with the other engine and tranny it will most likely be an automatic. So can I swap the dash out so that I can use the explorer's steering column? In the case of the 4wd shifter do I leave it where its at or will the 92-94 explorer have a different one? I am trying to sort out all these questions so that when the time comes I can get to work instead of piddling around on here trying to figure out how :icon_welder: Thanks!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If your donor has a manual shifted t-case, the linkages will be different.

My advice is to take everything and it's brother. Engine, all wiring, dash, column, front axle, trans, t-case, rear pinion flange. You will need a rear driveshaft from an auto or 88+ B2. The Explorer's trans will be too long.

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Don't forget things like the radiator, front seats that are (most likely) in better shape than yours and bolt to your BIIs' rails, springs (front AND rear) Charcoal canister from the X, brake booster/M/C, TTB mount brackets that are still good, along with the coil buckets, steering gear, etc... Basically, if it looks usable, TAKE IT! The wiper motor fits, the blower motor fits and is a higher cfm, the heater/A/C box fits, and so on. Like I said, if it looks usable, TAKE IT!

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
If your BII has an FM146 manual tranny noy the comment about needing a new driveshaft is incorrect. The FM146 tranny is the same length as the auto.
You want to make sure if you just change out the front axle that the new one has the same gear ratio as your original axle or you will be buying some expensive parts to replace the broken ones when you lock in 4x4. I would recommend swapping the rear axle also. It's not real hard to do and you get a stronger one by doing this as well as gear ratios matching.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If your BII has an FM146 manual tranny noy the comment about needing a new driveshaft is incorrect. The FM146 tranny is the same length as the auto.
You want to make sure if you just change out the front axle that the new one has the same gear ratio as your original axle or you will be buying some expensive parts to replace the broken ones when you lock in 4x4. I would recommend swapping the rear axle also. It's not real hard to do and you get a stronger one by doing this as well as gear ratios matching.
His BII doesn't have an FM146. He has an 86, that has the FM145. The 46 came out in 88.

The rear axle swap from an Explorer is not bolt in, the perches and shock mounts have to be moved/added. It is a good upgrade though.

The rest of that is spot on, you will blow something up locking into 4x4 with mis-matched gears.