•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

porting the 2.9

Krowzer1139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i was thinking about porting my 2.9 and the guy at summit racing said that would be a back idea all it would do was hurt the motor. i should just buy the world cylinder heads because they are custom casted for the 2.9 and wouldnt need ported. mine have not cracked and im just tryin to get a little power. any suggestions? should i port?

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
For the price of world heads, gaskets, and head bolts, you could find a decent used 4.0

Porting a 2.9 is all well and good but the results won't come close to matching the power increase of a good 4.0

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
For the price of world heads, gaskets, and head bolts, you could find a decent used 4.0

Porting a 2.9 is all well and good but the results won't come close to matching the power increase of a good 4.0
Some people do not have the skills of swapping the 4.0 in place of a 2.9.

Krowzer1139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i dont have the knowledge or the tools. im contacted a lot of shops wont touch a 4.0 swap or i would have just done that one shady junkyard said they would do it for $1200.00 but i donno my 88 B2 engine only has 80k miles so i want to wait on a swap when the engine goes ill change trans and swap 4.0. how is the fuel eco on a 4.0?

fordwheelinman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
just porting the heads wont do much for you, neither will buying the world heads. Your not going to see much of a gain on anything unless you have the whole thing torn down, bored, full head job including porting, performance cam, port matched intakes, larger throttle body, and maybe bigger injectors. But there again, your looking into fixing something that isnt broken. Its like pissing into the wind, or kicking a bull in the nuts, doesnt make a lot of sense. The only reason i bored my 2.9 .060 over, ported the heads, and will be port matching the intakes is simple. The machine work was free, the rebuild kit was good stuff but cheap, a former NASCAR and NHRA engine builder/team owner/driver was doing the porting, and i had 2 2.9's in pieces around the house. the sad part is its still on the engine stand waiting to be finished........

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
What axle gear ratio and tire size do you have? It's very possible big gains can be found in that area.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What axle gear ratio and tire size do you have? It's very possible big gains can be found in that area.
I was just about to say that!

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
both heads on one of my 2.9's cracked and i got lucky and found a brand new set of world products heads with all the gaskets on ebay for cheap. I just smoothed out the ports (not polished) and port matched the heads, exhaust, and upper and lower intake. and on the seat of the pants dyno i can notice a little more quickness, mainly the top end. And every once in awhile my mileage goes higher than it did before. But i wouldn't do it just to do it. I had to change my heads anyway and i just thought, it's apart so i'll just match the gaskets to everything and smooth out the casting bumps a bit and i at least got some good results from doing it.

Krowzer1139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
to be honest i have no idea what gears im running its a stock 2.9L 88 bronco II with a standard tranny. i just pulled a 86 throttle boddy sence it its larger than my 88. im doing a full high pro tune up with ignition box, pacesetter headers custom 2.5 single exhaust, porting and matching heads, 180 therm. im not sure about boring i havnot ready anything about it or done it but i would love to hear how and what would be involved and as far as gears if i can get some good gains that would be awesome. what should i look for in gears and where? any advice is really appreciated. thank you to those who have posted. oh and what cams would you suggest?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
Not to be a dick, but:

A) im doing a full high pro tune up

This is good. :)

B) with ignition box

Waste, stock ignition is fine for the mods outlined.

C) pacesetter headers custom 2.5 single exhaust

Won't give much gain, but better than manifolds. Have fun installing them. :)

D) porting and matching heads

See posts above. Upper and lower intakes don't match, you might look there.

E) 180 therm

Waste

F) what would be involved and as far as gears if i can get some good gains that would be awesome.

You won't gain any horsepower. It will just make it easier for the engine to turn the back wheels in exchange for some top speed (which stock will never see anyway).

G) oh and what cams would you suggest?

Anything that's not a base circle cam. Camcraft makes some computer friendly cams that would work well, it really depends what you want out of it. You wouldn't want to build it to be a rock crawler and primarily use it on the street. From what it sounds, you will want to stay away from non-computer friendly cams.

Talk to Charles at CamCraft, he is very smart and can make a better reccomendation.

Base circle cams basically have a certain amount cut off the base heel, which pretty much lowers the valve train (needs longer push rods sometimes). These cams are typically cheap and tend to flex at higher RPM. I've ran one for 4 years and it really didn't hold up well. Instead of fixing and wasting money on a low displacement dying off engine, I am ditching this engine for a roller 5.0L.

Anything you buy for this, from experience, you will get what you pay for. Get the cheaper pacesetters, get pissed off when they don't fit right (it's possible to make them work though). The slip fits are a joke. JBAs are much better quality, but much more expensive.

Pete

Krowzer1139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i have had a hard time locating jba headers besides through jba and i have heard about the pacesetter headers not fitting right so ill look more into the jba.

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have port matched the upper and lower intakes on one of my 2.9's, I noticed a changed exhause tone and the power band seemed to go up about 2-300 rpms, and it did help in the butt-dyno, I think it was worth it, for just the intakes anyway,
But if you do the Intakes, TB, heads and the Headers, I believe you will see a noticeable gain.

But is all that work worth it? i'm not sure, never done it all;missingteeth;

WildSide

Reaction score
Porting is fine as long as you don’t hog out the ports and reduce flow. Then pick up a good CD ignition, a cheap nitrous system and have some fun. Keep the pride alive and do it yourself.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
to be honest i have no idea what gears im running its a stock 2.9L 88 bronco II with a standard tranny. i just pulled a 86 throttle boddy sence it its larger than my 88. im doing a full high pro tune up with ignition box, pacesetter headers custom 2.5 single exhaust, porting and matching heads, 180 therm. im not sure about boring i havnot ready anything about it or done it but i would love to hear how and what would be involved and as far as gears if i can get some good gains that would be awesome. what should i look for in gears and where? any advice is really appreciated. thank you to those who have posted. oh and what cams would you suggest?
Check for the axle code on your door sticker, then you can look it up here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

Your tires 205/75R15 or 215/75R15?

Krowzer1139

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i think its worth it i love my truck, i did take the advice givin to me and i called charles at cam craft hes checking on the pro heads as far as a price and avalibility. im going to pick up the rocker spacers, better cam and some bolts. if all goes well ill try to post pictures for anyone else looking to do some mods to the 2.9L i know i have been helped out a lot her i would like to return the favor to others in need. thanks again guys. and as far as axels im not sure its in the shop getting inspected so ill check back when i know.