•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Prerunners B II under construction (finally!)

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That looks to be a jeep wagoneer Dana 44 since it has a 6 bolt hub. I went with some rancho 44044 springs for my front, they give a pretty good ride and flex decent.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
That looks to be a jeep wagoneer Dana 44 since it has a 6 bolt hub. I went with some rancho 44044 springs for my front, they give a pretty good ride and flex decent.
I hadn't considered that it might be a Wagoneer axle. I'm going to have to peel the paint off the axle tubes to find the BOM. I'll need the info to find or order missing axle shafts.
The spindles have the old style Chevy disc brake mount which makes me think they're Chevys. The guy I got it from said the axle was a "70's Ford" but he got it from a buddy who'd mocked it up under an S-10. So really, who knows?
Pretty cool Ranger by the way, Ford78 and yeah, it flexes pretty well.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Found the BOM #. 603368.7 . Referenced it at http://manuals.forever-ink.com/Dana_BOM.pdf (shows all Dana BOM codes from 1967 to 1978): 603368 - Ford - 44 - Front - 1973 U-100 Bronco

This is good news and bad news. Good, I know what it is now and it is upgradeable. Bad, its one of the weaker versions of the 44.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Decided to stay with Chevy spindles though I'll replace the right side one. Brakes, outer shafts and locking hubs are strong but cheap. I'll convert to F150 hubs and rotors to get back to a Ford 5 on 5 1/2 pattern. I have wheels for that.
The Dana 44 articles from "Mr N" are the best research tool out there.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44 (long list of links.)

I'll find another complete D44 Chevy axle soon for extra parts. (Yay Craigslist!)
I need a left inner axle (U-100 Bronco) & Chevy D-44 outer (stub) shaft.
And, I'll try to keep y'all posted.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Its sad. I keep finding parts but can't run & get them until payday. :(

I found a new in-the-box G2 4.56 ring & pinion for $100 obo (though I think I'll need 4.88 or 5.13's), but its hard to beat that price. Spare Chev D-44's are cheap & plentiful.
I want either an aggressive limited slip or soft locker of some sort for the front axle. Any recommendations for a budget build?

Its looking like a Jeep leaf spring will be my best bet on front. Thanks Ford78 for that recommendation. :icon_cheers:

Edit: Has anyone used the Auburn pro series positraction? I found a new one for $366 Canadian, local.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Okay, its looking like the better way to set this 44 up is to keep it as Chevy as possible. The Jeep guys have been building 44s up for their rigs like this for ages and their method is proven. Chevy from the knuckles out, except for discs (78- 86 F150, fs Bronco), high steer (Chevy 73- 76) with 86 Blazer tre's (one ton spec) and Warn premium hubs. Pirate 4x4 site includes every part number. ( http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Steering/Steering_Research/steeringresearch.htm ) Mr N's site has too.
I'm picking up the Auburn positraction this weekend. The guy said it was fine for a front axle as long as it wasn't reverse rotation. (I know, pix or it didn't happen.)

Btw, the Dana 44 has 4.09 gears already installed (dated 1973). :yahoo:

Edit: Won't be picking up the posi this weekend, they're closed for the long weekend. Next maybe?

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Picking up another Chev D 44 this weekend for $75. That and the posi will eat my budget for another two weeks. :annoyed:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Picked up the Chevy Dana 44 today for $75. Bonus: has Warn standard hubs. Minor inconvenience: only one flat top knuckle.
The tie rod has a hole in it (originally for a steering stabilizer) that I'll convert to a link for 'inverted 'T' steering.
(upside down in my Exploder) I'll try for better pix tomorrow.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Also picked up the Auburn Gear Pro series positraction for the Dana 44 this afternoon. Tyller at North Shore Off Road seems cool to deal with. This was something they were selling through Craigslist for some reason, discounted to $366. (cdn)
$409.92 total. :icon_thumby:

I figure at the speed my budget allows me to build this it'll be 3 to 4 months before it can be mounted. Next up: G2 4.88 ring & pinion, High steer arms, install kits for both.

Edit: turns out I still need a right side high steer knuckle. The extra axle didn't have one and the early Bronco one needs replacing. May source from http://www.northwestfab.com/ . They're local.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
I might downgrade to 4.56 gears since theres a couple online. Would it work better with 4.88's? Probably a bit - but the actual numerical difference is tiny (.32). So in the real world I think I'm better off putting the 4.56's in and putting the $$$ I save towards a doubler or small block swap. (Or both?)

Been leaning towards a 9" rear for it lately. I haven't totally decided cuz I might part the Exploder Centaurus into it. That thing sucks, I hate it. So the 8.8 disc rear might become available. I've found a few interesting non truck 9" axles, like a '57 wagon 9" (narrowest 9" made) and two Lincoln Versailles (disc brake 9" correct width) rears. I want the light truck 5 on 5 1/2 pattern though and haven't researched axle shafts for these yet. I might have to wait and see what pops up.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
This is getting embarrassing. Some unexpected expenses have come up postponing this yet again.
BTW, it won't get 4.56's. Not really enough of an upgrade from the 4.09's. I'm thinking 5.13's now. It'll work better with the 35 - 37" tires I want on it.
Until its assembled I reserve the right to rethink every part going in this. lol
:icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
I'm picking up a BW 4406 TC today or tomorrow. Going to look at a V8 Exploder in the next few days. As much as I hate paying taxes, tax return time is helping this project now.

The TC is from a '97 F-150, floor shift. Might include the front d-shaft.

The Exploder is a 97, has engine problems. If it doesn't pan out another guy has just the trans (and 1 speed case) from a '96. This isn't an ideal way to small block this thing but I was having a hard enough time with the German engine, French automatic swap (into a B-2 that had one originally) as it was.

I'd like to get done gathering the major parts soon. The rear axle is proving to be harder than I figured to find. Ideal would be a '66 - 77 Bronco 9", after that I guess a Scout II dana 44 or maybe a Cherokee 44 (wheel pattern change) might be okay. I don't really want an 8.8. I'm trying to keep the track fairly narrow for streetability but with tough axles for the trails.

This thing keeps changing directions because the parts situation here is killing me. I'm trying to be patient but I actually wanted the truck running last year. When I have a little money theres nothing. When I'm broke something comes up.
Mind you, this is transforming from just a simple 4.0 swap. I hope by changing most of the drivetrain and suspension to stuff from somewhat heavier duty models this gets easier to piece together.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Picked up the 4406 T case tonight. Unbolting it from the trans in a downpour sucked but I got it complete with shifter mechanism (less the actual shifter) and the F-150 front driveshaft for $300. Compared to the 1354 I have for the Bronco II - this things huge. :icon_thumby:
I'll take a pic or two tomorrow.
Here ya go:

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Another couple:

Thing hanging over the top is the shifter mechanism. I don't think the shifter itself will be hard to find (or fab, if necessary).

dieseldane

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1995
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/5.0
Think you could take a couple measurements for me? I want to see how much bigger the 4406 is than the 1356. Could you measure the from the center of the input shaft to the center of the front output shaft, and from front mounting surface to the end of the tail shaft, and the width of the case at the widest point?

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Sure thing Dieseldane,
First off the 1356 full size truck transfer case is wider. My comparisons are with a 1354 '93 Ranger case. (Comment from Explorer forum: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2070439&postcount=230 )

These measurements are probably not perfectly accurate but will do for comparisons. front mating surface to end of tailshaft housing: 21 3/4".

Center of front input shaft to center of front driveshaft 10 1/4"

Overall width 22" (could be trimmed though, as there are cast lugs on either end.)

'97 BW4406 next to '93 BW1354.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Two more for comparison purposes:

:icon_thumby:

dieseldane

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1995
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8/5.0
Thanks, now I need to go measure my 1356 and see if it would be worth it to find a 4406 to use in my b2.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
If your gonna, try to get one from a pickup. Most Suv's had the electric shift and from what I gather, its not worthwhile to try to convert to manual linkage.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Can anyone recommend a good, flexy rear suspension for a B-II? I know the Chevy 63 inch won't easily fit, so its kind of out.
Just waiting for some things to come through. A Scout II rear axle next weekend. Has 4.10's and disc brakes already. (cheap, too.)

Also reevaluating putting leaf springs in the front, whether to V8 it right away - gas isn't getting any cheaper. Might just get a V6 parts rig to get it running. Its been apart way too long already.

*Edit:* Just bought a '92 Exploder as a running parts bucket for $450. Its tires will go onto the '96 Sploder cause the rears are as bald as an egg. I'll salvage whatever else I can for the Bronco II. :icon_thumby:

Last edited: