•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Prerunners B II under construction (finally!)

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
I've also decided to stop looking for the "right" wiring harness. I'm going to use the one in the '96 Exploder. I'm swapping the engine, trans, steering column and AC so adding the dash and full wiring harness gets this closer to plug & play. I kind of wanted the dash anyway, though maybe in a different colour. lol
The '96 AC unit is a few inches narrower than the '90 Bronco II one so I should have a hole to fill in the firewall, which is how I'll get the computer inside my Bronco. I ain't saying this will be easy but I did find where member "runningman" swapped a '97 dash into an '84 Ranger so it can be done. Hopefully he's watching this and can give pointers.
The narrower AC and later wiring should make future engine swaps (like the SOHC?) easier too. :icon_surprised:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
wait... why do you need to get the computer thru the firewall?
it unplugs?

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Don't get me started on tools. lol Mine are junk and I know it. Mix and match with a few Craftsman thrown in. I'm in Canada so I can't get Matco anyway. I think the better ones in my toolbox are cheaper than Craftsman.

4.0 B2, yeah, carded down everything with PB and still pretzeled a 12 mm wrench. Luckily, since the bolt never moved, I put it back on and pushed it back into a less mangled shape. Its still toast though. :rolleyes:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
I know but its at the top of the engine compartment in the Exploder, so I assume the wiring is short. I want it inside the cabin.
I will unplug it to install it the way I want through the firewall with a grommet.

It'll be mounted to the firewall under the dash, but accessible.

Edit: Just looked at the picture in post #17 and there is a fair length of wire for it. Its the thing on the firewall just above the heater hoses. I still want it out of the engine compartment.

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Okay, the 2.9 is out. I struggled with the driveshafts all through yesterday and wouldn't post about it. I decided to yank it out without removing either. It worked and with minimal damage.
Pix?

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Took a lot of prying to get it past the driveshaft and that lip on the firewall.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
But considering I left the T-case and exhaust on it came out pretty clean.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Started the teardown of the Exploder today. That rad may be too big for the Bronco. I mocked it into there and I'm going to have to get creative to make it fit. I dropped a '91 - 94 Sploder manual trans rad I had kicking around into it and its the same as the B-II one. The '96 AT rad is wider and puts the lower outlet right into the front of the steering box.
Oh well, "some assembly required" was implied when I took this on. :shok:

And another side project: the hood hinges from the Sploder onto the B-II. No more prop rod. :)

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Not much of an update but I'm kinda stuck. The rad support on the B-II is badly rotted out and I haven't had time to locate a replacement yet. I think I'm gonna just remove the front sheetmetal for the time being or at least until I can locate something better. Will a '91 - 94 Explorer rad support interchange? I can't weld so I can't just patch it.

The Exploder is coming apart slowly. I've started cutting wires I think will be useless on the B-II like airbag sensors. I'm going to leave the AC in it until the engines out then transfer it before the 4.0 gets stabbed into the Bronc.

I keep finding parts and parts vehicles I'd like now that stuffs apart and moneys tight. Ain't it always the way? lmao.

BTW, its definitely getting a SAS in the not too distant future and I've decided on the Chevy springs in back. :icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Wow. Long delay between posts. As far as I can tell, the 91 - 94 Exploder has the same rad support so I'm back searching for a second gen 4.0 Ranger or 1st gen Exploder as a parts bucket. Mine is pretty well toast.

Not much point in patching that. See 4.0B2? Ocean! lmfao!

Should have the engine & tranny out of the Exploder today if all goes well. :icon_thumby:

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
I'll stick to my southern no rust rigs...
the only way we have rigs rust like that are either from the north (dang yankees) or rigs that people have flooded and left stuck in the pond for weeks at a time

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
The Exploder is nearly finished. Dropped the 2.9 and A4LD into it to reduce clutter around here. I hope this is the only 2nd gen Exploder I use for parts. Was not fun getting the driveline out. Oddly, the 2.9 went in pretty easily. lol
Saved the complete AC system cause it works. Just need the axle and springs, dash, wiring and column and its outta here. :icon_thumby:
Hopefully today. :)

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Just a quick update. Exploder is gone as of yesterday. Didn't take the column or dash. Project is on hold for a week or so. Woman wants me to work on the yard, Will add some B-II pix later. :icon_confused:

Last edited:

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Dude, awesome job on pulling engine, tranny and t case together. I would of never tried it.

Good luck on the project.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Dude, awesome job on pulling engine, tranny and t case together. I would of never tried it.
Heh. I even left the exhaust on.
If I'd known what a PITA it was I would done it differently too. In the end I gained nothing pulling it all out at once anyway. I'm looking for a 5 speed parts truck if I can get one dirt cheap.

Good luck on the project.
Thanks. :icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
I gotta get the last of the inner fenders and rad support off this thing so I can hang the 4.0 in it. Be nicer to work on the front chassis and firewall then too.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
I'm not sure this is the rear I wanna run. Seems like for every few people who love the 8.8 theres one who hates them. I might run it for a bit since I have it, but I'm probably going to go with a Dana 44 instead.

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Well, after like a week of yardwork, a little time to play with my Bronco II. So, of course I ripped it up some more. :)

Took the rusty tin off without really knowing when I'll be replacing it. For damn sure it ain't going back on. Have a line on a cheap ($300) '93 Exploder thats been badly beaten and laid on its side but its a day to get it here and probably another $150 cost. Mostly I'm thinking about it cause its a 5 speed. :icon_thumby: