•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project Budget Bronco

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Progress!

Geometry seems to be a little off with the front axle, looking into some radius arm drop brackets...

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Picked up a set of radius arm drop brackets, that should correct the front axle and even out the lift level I think. I'll continue posting progress when I get the chance.

In the meantime, I noticed all my original progress pics were gone, so here they are again:

It started out as a MUCH simpler project than what it's become lol

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
As promised, here are pics of the sealed setup underneath the hood.

I would imagine this would be similar on a fuel injected engine, just to a throttle body instead of a carb plenum.

Been having some issues getting everything level on the lift. :damnit1:
The original lift was simply a 2.5" front coil spacer, and a 2" rear block. My "just add an inch and a half" plan didn't really work. :badidea:

The first shot is 3.5" rear blocks, and the front has Rough Country 1.5" leveling springs, plus the 2.5" spacers. The front still sits lower.

The second shot is still 3.5" rear blocks, but the front now has 4" skyjacker coils and a small spacer to make sure the 32" tires clear at full lock. The rear sits just a little lower, but we still have to put in a 6 degree shim to get the pinion angle right, we are hoping that gives the rear just a little boost to level it out.

This is a comparison between stock, 1.5" leveling, and 4" coils. Also the original spacers and the new short spacers.

mightyleon84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
What brand of tires are those?

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
What brand of tires are those?
They are Achilles Desert Hawk X-MT's

They have really good reviews and are reasonably priced, I am satisfied with them so far...

What are the spacers from?
They are fabricated, some round stock, etc. Nothing "off the shelf" I'm afraid. I'll ask what exactly he used, for someone who has welding experience, I doubt they'd be too hard.

wend3lrt

Reaction score
Vehicle
Bronco ii
Nice work! I really like the front bumper because it is not bulky.

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Nice work! I really like the front bumper because it is not bulky.
Thanks! My mechanic built it, as far as i know it's just rectangle stock, ends capped, and some braces for the winch, sanded and made pretty. I'm no fabricator, but it seemed like a simple build.

Rear driveshaft situation solved! We simply drilled and tapped the flange on the 8.8 to accept the u-joint assembly from the BII, which is a ridiculously tiny 1210 joint. I'll get some photos when I have the chance. But the point is, it's drive-able now! :yahoo: Still have to wire up the lights, install a air compressor/tank in the rear, and a power inverter. There are a few other odds and ends, but that's about it!

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
As promised here are some fresh pics...
Front axle detail with steering linkage installed:

Detail of the crazy small BII u-joint mounted to the larger 8.8 flange:

Improvised radius arm drop brackets, he built these before I had the chance to tell him they could be purchased lol:

An update on how the truck sits now:

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Well, I took the truck home to clean some of the junk out of the back, took a few pics in the driveway. Unfortunately, the drive to and from the shop revealed that the front main seal on the 2.8L had failed. And by failed, I mean a total loss. It's bad. By the time I got back to the shop the oil was pouring, not dripping from the seal, and had coated the engine bay. Yay! More nickle and dime crap. I suppose I'll replace the power steering pump while I'm at it...

alwaysFlOoReD

Blang - not bling
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '93, '98
Vehicle
Various
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0, 4.6
Suspension Style
4wd
That really is a sweet looking B2.

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
That really is a sweet looking B2.
Thanks! It's getting there. The mechanical stuff that's popping up from it sitting for so long is getting frustrating though. I guess I should have expected it...

whtknght

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
It's an eBay special land cruiser 60 series snorkel. Really good fit actually. The whole kit was right around $150.
Looks like it was made for the B2

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
What did the D35 and 8.8 come out of
Had a junk yard pull them both out of a 1993 Ranger 4.0L 4x4 for me. Aside from some rear driveshaft problems, everything pretty much bolted up.

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Well, the mechanical stuff is all buttoned up, and she's running good again! Now just getting the lights wired up...

Greengoat88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Firstly, freakin awesome build man!!! Secondly, are you having any problems with full bump? Any issues with the tires and the fenders front and rear? Thanks!