•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Project Micro Machine

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
So thanks to all the guys today helping swap the bodies and getting the frame ready for paint.

Awesome new body lift idea. What do you guys think?:icon_rofl:

Onto the real part of the swap. Here is the progress made.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Well alittle update started wire wheeling the frame and suspension. 1st layer is rubberized undercoating then 3 coats of black paint. Getting ready to put it all back together.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
So now comes the time for coil springs. I am looking at going XJ coils for a 6.5" lift. My question is do you really need dual shocks? Or can I get away with a single shock on a f250 mount? My RC lift is going to Rangurr and I need to figure out the PPI I need. With no longer having the b2 body on and the heavy 2.9l and a4ld. I have lost a lot of weight. Doing the math the D-tec, M5od, and BW1354(with shiftser) it weighs it at around 400lbs. The 2.9l, a4ld, and BW1354 (electric motor) it weighed in at around 600lbs. Losing 200lbs from this drive train swap. Next comes the bodies, the B2 body is roughly around 1500lbs and the ranger cab is around 1000lbs. Losing 500lbs there. I know the axles, tires, frame, and a full tank of fuel weigh in at around 1400lbs at my buddies shop on their truck scale. In the end with bumpers, flatbed, cab, frame, axles, tires, fuel, drive train, sliders, and winch I am looking at around 2900lbs. Seem correct? This is starting with the curb weight of a B2 of 3287lbs then adding 200 lbs of tires. Maybe 100lbs for suspension. So if my math is correct I should be around 1740 lbs over the front axle, now minus 300lbs for dana 35, tires, wheels and I get 1440lbs. Divide by 2 (1440/2=720lbs) times by 1.5 (720lbsx1.5=1080lbs) then divide by 6” of ride height (1080lbs/6=180PPI) If anybody objects to these calculations please tell me.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Oh and I changed out the RC axle drop brackets for skyjacker 6" brackets. Along with the FA600 pitman arm.

Last edited:

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
This thing is gonna look so cool. I might have missed it but what are your plans for the bed?

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Oh and I sold the dana 35 today to another member. The ttb brackets are in the way of the oil pan. Can't move it back or forward. So dana 35 had to go. Plus the oil pan is so tiny already that I can't modify it to clear. It would require me to cut out 7" section of the corner and I wouldn't have an oil pan left. So a dana 30 is going in its place so I can create a custom crossmember.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Ya I am trying to build it as a dd expedition rig. The only thing different from that bed then what I am doing is adding a black canvas cover on the top of the bed.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
What are you going to use for your side compartments/storage?

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
I plan on using 1x1 square tubing for the frame of the storage boxes, then wrapping it around with 3/16 plate. Then building locking doors with cables attached for support when they are open. So I can use it as a shelf if need to. And down the middle I have tons of the storm cases to hold alot of things also.

Also now that I removed the B2 gas tank. I think I might find a shallow water tank to put in it's place. Since that new fuel cell will sit on the top of the bed right behind the cab.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Looks like I am slacking alittle bit with updates. Not that I have too many. Working non stop 7 days a week killed the project. So I have been completing little things when I can. Hitting it hard this week. All the parts are here to install the dana 30 in the front end. Just have to burn in the frame mounts and weld up the DOM for the control arms. After that my RuffStuff 3/4 ton steering will be fitted and welded up.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Took a week off from work to finish the project. Learned how to weld better also.
Day 1

Last edited:

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
They are rubicon express coils for an jeep xj.

DOPIESLC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
01'/90'
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
D-tech 2.3L
Well had a set back last night. The bolt on the hoist chain pulled out of the block and dropped the motor on the ground. Now I have a cracked block, busted oil pan, and an exhaust manifold that ripped out of the head. :bawling: