•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Pulled Old Engine need help w/ torque Conv.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I just pulled my old engine and the torque converter came off attatched to the flywheel... Have I mad a mistake? SHould I have removed the torque converter before pulling the engine? or can i pull the torque converter and just pop it back on the tansmission stem? Im putting the flywheel on a used engine I got. Also I read I should mark the flywheel posistion, but since its going on another engine, I dont see what good that would do. Any COmments would be great. I only have the engine hoist til the end of the day.

Thanks,
Chaz.

Oh Its a 86 Bronco II 4x4 Auto.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The converter nuts should have been removed to allow the converter to stay with the trans. Removing it like you did, while sometimes necessary runs the risk of damage to the converter or it's seal.

It absolutely HAS to be placed back on the trans and inserted completely before final reassembly or the converter will be in the wrong spot when you start the engine and damage both the converter and fluid pump. It has to go back on the stem 3 clicks.

In your case, I would pop it back in and try it. If something is wrong it is easier to remove a trans than and engine.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What he said- You'll know it is either wrong or right when you mate the engine and tranny back together- always make certain the converter can rotate freely when the two are bolted together tight or it isn't right. I always check as the two are coming back together, and when they are being bolted down. If the converter starts binding, pull them back apart and get it right. As Adsm08 said, three clicks- you may have to rotate and jiggle the converter quite a awhile to get it on that last click.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I got it back on, all thats left is to redo the rear main seal and the flywheel and back in it goes... WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!

Chaz