•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Push Button 4x4. No Low Range.

1989-Bronco-Two

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My 89 BII's 4x4 has started to act up recently. First it started out not wanting to come out of 4x4. Then when trying to engage low range the light just flashes. I looked in the Tech Library and was thinking that the transfer case shift motor might need to be cleaned. But wanted some opinions before I started the project.
So whats my best bet?????:dunno:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
just to be clear you are trying to go into 4low with the transmission in neutral(auto) or pushing the clutch in right?

otherwise its probably dirty contacts on the back of the shift motor. remove 3 screws and clean them up

1989-Bronco-Two

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
just to be clear you are trying to go into 4low with the transmission in neutral(auto) or pushing the clutch in right?

otherwise its probably dirty contacts on the back of the shift motor. remove 3 screws and clean them up
Yes sorry, clutch pressed in light still flashing.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
i'd still start with cleaning the contacts on the tcase shift motor.. by far the most common problem with shift issues.

the transfer case shift module uses the switch contacts on the back of the motor to sense what position the transfer case is in.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
i think it only needs to be pushed in when you want 4low.

i could be wrong since i've never owned one.. only driven them and diagnosed a few. but i have a poor memory

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yep,
Just for low. Although both my trucks will go into 4 low while in gear but will only come out when fully stopped, in N (auto) and clutch in (manual). Also both my BIIs have BW 1354s in them and 4 wheel high engagement per Ford's info says they are shift on the fly to 4 wheel at any speed, manual or electric motor. I personally don't do that on these trucks. Even on my Silverado I don't shift into/out off 4 wheel at anything more that around 30MPH.

Those contacts are indeed usually the culprit. I even got a brand new motor with one of my transfer cases because only the contacts were dirty on the one in it. Ya for spares ;)

Last edited:

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What's weird is that before I could push the buttons and I would hear what sounded like a relay behind the driver's seat in the side panel and now nothing at all. Reseated the connector to the transfer case cannon plug and reseated the connector to the push 4x4 console and now nothing at all. I put that electrical grease the transfer case motor before.

My question is, is there like some kind of connector I can check in the side panel behind the driver's seat if that makes sense.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
my b2 had to be in 1st gear, clutch pressed in to go in 4L. i have a manual tranny tho.

take the shift motor out and clean all the pigtails going to it. maybe even put some dieletric grease in them. it'll keep mud and shit out of there.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Mine is manual as well. Pretty simple to pull shift motor out to clean?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
yep. 3 bolts and it'll pull right out. if you've ever assembled an erector set, i'm confident that you could do it lol

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Found this on another forum, wondering if this is a possiblity "The magnets in the round part of the motor case have apart from the walls and are touching the coil. Thats prevents the motor from turning. Banging on the motor case will get it to turn sometimes but sooner or later it will wedge and not move again no matter how hard you hit it."

Last edited:

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Steeda,
Being military I know your experienced with "hands on" MX and that sometimes entails a gentle whack to a part now and then....

As for the clicking you heard that is the 4-wheel drive controller mounted behind that rectangular panel just aft of the driver's door. There are control relays for engaging the 4-wheel drive and then routing that command to the shift motor. Rare for them to fail but you can shoot for power and signal to/from them to see if they are at fault rather than the shift motor.

Last edited:

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Steeda,
Being military I know your experienced with "hands on" MX and that sometimes entails a gentle whack to a part now and then....

As for the clicking you heard that is the 4-wheel drive controller mounted behind that rectangular panel just aft of the driver's door. There are control relays for engaging the 4-wheel drive and then routing that command to the shift motor. Rare for them to fail but you can shoot for power and signal to/from them to see if they are at fault rather than the shift motor.
Yeah, I hear ya. With my vehicle I just wanna learn it the right way without messing anything up since it's my DD. But I will deal with the shift motor sometime this week. If that don't fix it then I will shoot for the control relays.

big red 138

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
its the transfer case control module, i had the same problem. you can run a self test on the module ( located behind the drivers door in the side panel) turn key to the on position and push the button on the right side of the module. it should flash once every second, if so its good to go. if it stays lit or doesnt light at all, theres a malfunction. you can dig one out of a B2, an explorer up to 94 or a ranger from of the same years. i got one for like $11 at pinknpull.

in explorers its in the trunk on the left side. I cant remember where they are on rangers, hope this helps

Last edited:

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
its the transfer case control module, i had the same problem. you can run a self test on the module ( located behind the drivers door in the side panel) turn key to the on position and push the button on the right side of the module. it should flash once every second, if so its good to go. if it stays lit or doesnt light at all, theres a malfunction. you can dig one out of a B2, an explorer up to 94 or a ranger from of the same years. i got one for like $11 at pinknpull.

in explorers its in the trunk on the left side. I cant remember where they are on rangers, hope this helps
It should be a lil red light too right?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
There is also a locator pin that rotates with the motor gearing that sets the positioning contacts correctly for the computer to know it's in the right position. It originally has a rubber bushing on it that acts as a bump stop. Often this rubber bushing develops flat spots, or breaks down altogether, and this causes the contacts to be out of position. The computer then doesn't know what position it's in so does nothing. I saw a write-up somewhere about it, but can't seem to find it quickly.
Anyway, I've had to replace this rubber bushing on two different shift motors. Just a simple piece of rubber hose works fine. You might take a look at that.

big red 138

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yeah its just a little red bulb right next to the test button. its a good way to know for sure if you need a tccm or a shift motor.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, I did the check tonight and the light stayed on. So I'm guessing check the shift motor first?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
1989_Bronco_Two

Did we ever answer your question? Any success in fixing yours?