•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Questions about the article about the K&N filter for B2 in tech library

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/K_N_airfilter.html

I was reading through articles in the tech library and came across this one. It is where someone eliminated the air box and clamped a K&N filter directly to the top of the end. This leaves the filter exposed but i have some concerns about the application i hope yall can help with. With the exposed filter would it affect the engine more when offroading? I am not going to do a lot offroading but i will occasionally. I would love to eliminate the air box if possible. Here in SC we dont have vehicle inspections anymore so smog regulations is no concern. Thanks everyone!

oksleeper

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1985
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4 bangers for now
Im not sure where the problem is, im not the one who posted but i have done the same. It did affect the filter in that driving offroad it did get dirty quicker but no quicker than in the air box and i just blew mine off on occasion and went with it

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Water didnt affect it? I know with my intake now the tubing allows the water to settle before it hits the engine i just didnt know if the elimination of that tubing hurts it against water.

chrwilkins30

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If waters getting in your intake seal it up completely. I wouldnt put that filter on especially that close to the open elements.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
All that extra air coming in the air intake won't do anything at all if you don't have the engine CNC Ported to be able to get all that air, and upgrade the exhaust to get rid ofall that air...the bottleneck is in the engine itself, not the air intake. IMO you'd be better served getting the K&N reusable filter that goes into the stock airbox. You'll get the added filtration of the K&N, but the box will keep large debris/water out of your engine.

Another point is that the mounting point in the article doesn't appeal to me at all...that person has moved the stock air intake location from the side of the engine compartment to right above the engine...its like a reverse cold-air system, a hot-air system if you will. :D I would guess any benefits gained by the larger intake would be negated by all the thin, hot air its sucking in.

Just my two cents.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I agree with yall I do like the cool look it gives and the more space you get in the engine compartment but I figured the first time you actually hit a large amount of water the engine would suck all that in. This would be a cosmetic change that I would make to my street truck but I do not think it is a smart move for an off road truck. Thanks for the input guys!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Why would you want to do that? Unless you put a functional scoop in the hood it is worthless, and actually a downgrade. The point of the design of the 2.9 intake before the air box is to get actual cold air from outside the engine bay. That will suck hot engine bay air and hurt performance.

Also, the presence of the stock air box will not have any effect on the outcome of an emissions test or any significant effect on tailpipe emissions.