•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Radio resets itself randomly

TillamookB2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have some whatever cd player in the dash of the B2. I drive it for work and it seems that two or three times a day, the radio clears its memory. On motor start, the radio doesn't turn on. I have to press the power button. Its always sometime between when I stop the motor and when I start it again. Its wired properly.
If I don't notice its off while I'm driving, a few times its turned itself back on and kept its presets. But, its only happened a few times.
Suppose its due to a crappy radio? Or do you suppose its the truck being old and worn?

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
sounds like the wire that is supposed to be run to constant power is in a circuit that loses power while cranking.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Had that exact same thing happen to my 87 with a Sony had unit. Turned out the ground wire was bad. I got real tired of pulling it out to T/S before I found out what was causing it. Replaced the wire and lug, no more random radio nonsense.

TillamookB2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It turned out to be a bad ground. Fixed it and the problem went away.

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks for this thread.

I am working with a 89 BII and the radio just keps searching when turned on. I have no idea what where to do. Where is the ground and where do I check the antenna connection?

Thanks! :D

Ohh....if I put a used 2 year old CD player in where the cassette player is....Do you think it will work or should I get it pulled before Auto parts stores closes early? I am guessing I may need adapters? Current radio has LED display lights. Sundays they appear to close early. Thanks again...and again.

Last edited:

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well,
The factory ground is from the harness and if you use the adapters then the radio will use the farctory grounds. In my case the PO had cut the harness and used a ground lug to the dash, not good. The antenna adapter is a straight line from the antenna connector, in the right side inner fender, to the back of the radio. The adapters are worth it in my opinion, I use them on every install. And that's how I fixed my radio issue. As for the search just, well searching, that could be the antenna coax or the tuner in the radio. If it's cheapy type radio, that would be my bet. But of course check the coax first as that costs you nothing. If you ahve the factory radio in it then that is most likely thre culprit. Pretty much anythying is an upgrade. Good luck!

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Look on the front of your truck. If there is a Transformer symbol anywhere, it is likely "Bumblebee" and he took the form of your truck to protect you. He is trying to communicate with you. ;)

PonyUp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
:icon_rofl: << unolesu

THanks for replies. Going to get adapters in the morning. Brother said I might have to do some wire connecting as it is a factory radio/cassette.

WooHoo! A CD player.:D