•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

radius arms: Skyjacker vs Superlift vs James Duff

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Just wondering what the general experience is with comparisons on these.

I couldn't find any published lengths for JD or SL but Skyjacker claims to be 15" longer than stock. Are they all the same length?

I know JD has heim joints and the other two appear to use bushings. This BII is a DD so I'd prefer the longevity of bushings. Can the James Duff arms be adapted to use bushings?

Can all these radius arm kits be purchased separately from the lift kit? The thing about my budget is I can do the whole thing, but it's a lot easier to do just the lift and then get the RA's a few months later. Apparently my marriage contract says something about spending $600 twice is ok but $1200 all at once is not... :icon_confused:

I'm leaning toward a Superlift kit because they're about the same price as skyjacker but they appear to include a lot more in the package - namely shocks and drop pitman arm. But if I buy the RA's later, I have the option of choosing whatever RA's I want - whichever fits my application the best, really.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Stay FAR away from Superlift. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Superlift's shit broken.
My own:

JD is much better, although agreed, the heim likely won't be as good for a DD that will accrue some mileage. I've come across two broken JD arms (current style arms).

Skyjacker is by far the most popular here (and has been for nearly a decade), yet I've only once ever seen a broken SJ arm, and it appeared to be because a bolt came loose, not because the arm had a defect or anything.

All 3 do sell their arms separately from the rest of the kit.

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
i've been very hard on my JD kit the last few years.jumped it,slammed it,wrecked it and abused it.knocked the toe out twice and the hiems are still tight.i think duff said their arms are 15" longer too but i don't remember.

if you want the duff dual shocks and great handling its a good kit.duff warantees their arms from what i hear if you do break it(not likely)

the general consensus seems to be that the skykrackers are a better value,they are cheaper.i'm not sold on poly bushings for a radius arm though.they don't last a long time in offroad suspension app's.

if you have welding skills you should read up on making your own its pretty simple and has been covered here a few times

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I've been through the custom welded radius arms and they look like a great option, but not totally feasible for me. I don't have a welder or easy access to one, not to mention ZERO welding experience. I'd like to get a welder and learn, but I'd feel more comfortable starting with something like rock sliders or patching the rust holes in my doors than something that could break on the highway and kill me.

It sounds like skyjacker is the way to go for me then...I'm the kindof guy that's willing to spend more for quality but not just for a name...and you guys have pretty much confirmed that the extra $$$ for the SJ isn't just the label.

I had a skyjacker 6" on my fullsize Bronco, but it was already there when I bought it. Never had any problems with it, but unfortunately it just had the radius arm drop brackets instead of the extended arm kit.

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I guess the other thing I need to find out about is the sway bar relocation bracket...superlift comes with it, skyjacker appears not. :(

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
take it off or get longer links for it