•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Ranger 8.8 to a Bronco II

whocares

Reaction score
I have read, and re-read everything on here and maybe I'm missing it. The 7.5 with 3.73's in my BII is about shot. I found a ranger with the 8.8 and 456 gears at the junkyard. What all is involved? direct swap? I read about the explorer swap and understand the mods needed for that but am unclear about ranger to bII? Any help guys? Will the front axle be a direct bolt up as well?

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
The Ranger spring perches are about an inch narrower than the BII. Depending on the year the whole axle may be a bit narrower as well.

whocares

Reaction score
Are the shock mounts in the same spot, I would just have to move the spring pads? Unless I misread the tech article, 95 and up should be the right width for the BII? JUst trying to confirm some things before I buy this thing lol thanks

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
The axle width itself is very close on 93+ rangers but the spring perch spacing is too narrow. Yes the shock mounts are correct.

whocares

Reaction score
The axle width itself is very close on 93+ rangers but the spring perch spacing is too narrow. Yes the shock mounts are correct.

Gotcha. I assume there would be no problem/difference with getting the 8.8 from a 2wd ranger ( with the 4.56's) and putting it in my B2 thats 4wd?

Basically I'm wondering if the 2wd rears and the 4wd rears have the same or a different offset pumpkin to line up with the transfer case?

Thanks for the help.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
As far as I know there isn't any difference between a 4x2 and 4x4 axle. They just put a block between the spring and axle on 4x4's to raise it up in the rear to match the front. As far as the front axle goes shoulb be a direct bolt in swap except that the D35 front will require a shorter(1.5 inches if I'm correct) front driveshaft.

whocares

Reaction score
As far as I know there isn't any difference between a 4x2 and 4x4 axle. They just put a block between the spring and axle on 4x4's to raise it up in the rear to match the front. As far as the front axle goes shoulb be a direct bolt in swap except that the D35 front will require a shorter(1.5 inches if I'm correct) front driveshaft.

I didnt think there would be, just wanted to confirm. I looked under a 2wd explorer today at the junkyard and it had a 4:10 tag on the axle. Just appeared that the pumpkin was more offset towards the passenger side, whereas mine (b2) seemed more centered. Just going from memory, and thats been flawed from time to time.