•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Rear Lift Gate Repair

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Well, I've been looking for a reason to take it off, sand up in the channels, paint to prevent surface rust, fix that aggravating Glass/Gate Handle, put on new pieces on the side (the parts that catch the stud and keep it closed, etc...), fiberglass/repair the broken fiberglass where said door latch remained in closed position and some slamming got done as well as get my gas lifts in the right spot for the window to open higher...

SO, the reason I get to do all this is because when I was loading up the truck after working at hunt camp all day, I noticed the pin that goes through the latch on the passenger side does not go all the way through and the hole isn't lined up so I could hammer it through (bent the pin trying) and looks like maybe a part of it is missing on the very end (maybe a 1/4 inch).

Anyway, pics to come...I suppose the easiest thing to do is unbolt it up there and put it on sawhorses while I'm making fiberglass repairs and fixing the latch...any "Best Practices" for fixing the locking mechanism (there is a "sticky" somewhere or a technical bulletin for this on here I know) and replacing the 2 side latches?

Heading to rockauto and lmc now to look for parts...

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
No sure what part you are looking at. The hinge pin for the liftgate? Or the pins that the latches hook onto.

I am sure the pics will make it clear when you get them.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock

This piece...probably won't be able to find it, but I can use a bolt I'm thinking...

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
So the right hand side of the upper portion of the hinge has decoupled from the pin?

I am not sure how all that is held together but the odds are you are correct you can fit a bolt thru. I would think double nuts at the end with the nut so they stay in place without having to tighten it.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like you need another part off that $500 donor B2.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
I thought about that but I need to decide if I can get them out without bending them...last question...could I take the side windows out of an 88 and put them in an 85 - totally off subject but I like those rubber sealed windows a lot!