•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Redneck ways to fix a oil leak?!

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Dont use a 2.8 they like to leak around the fuel pumps and throught them, ask me how I know..... and also ask me how I have used JB weld to hold the bellhousing bolts to my trans, so far it is working great...just dont expct and easy change out of the slave cylider either (internal one between the bell and the trans).

But in all reality, I know it sucks, your going to hate to do it, cuss at it and whatnot, pull the engine, change it out. Be sure to check all surfaces and whatnot.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
OK.... let me try again...

2.8 V6 swap..... that will fix it!
The oil pan will be the least of your problmes, as near as I could tell mine just oozed oil from everywhere just because it could. If it wasn't leaking or burning a fluid it was because I needed to add more.

If it were me, and I was doing this redneck style, I wouldn't use silicone. I'd use Permatex's Form-a-Gasket 2. I've been using it for about 15 years, and it works great.

Still won't stick to oily steel.

I don't know if they are available for whatever engine you are dealing with, I picked up a one piece gasket made of steel and rubber for my 302. It worked great. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Still won't stick to oily steel.
I've never seen it blow out, period. Can't say the same for paper, cork, or silicone.

Sent while I should be doing something else

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1936/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
V-8...Carbed/fo-barrel
Alright guys y'all killing me, but I'm just gonna slide the tranny and transfercase back, pinpoint the leak, unbolt a few of the pan bolts just enough to get a small gap to put a large bead of rtv in bolt it back up tight, wait a day, cross fingers, and Hope to God it works! If not looks like I'm pulling the damn thing again.
O.K.......forget my 500 word thesis.....

try this instead.....unbolt the pan just enuff to SPRAY THE GAP WITH BRAKE CLEANER TO FLUSH ALL THE OIL OFF THE AREA to put a large bead of rtvin--bolt it back up tight, wait a day. cross fingers/toes, & hope to God it works! ;missingteeth;

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Hey 85, where did you get that oil pan gasket for your 302? That's really slick. I have the same type for my valve cover gaskets. I've re-used them twice, and I've had them on there for about 12 years. Not one drop has made it past those.

I wonder if I can find those for my 4.6 valve covers???????

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Nice, thanks!

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I resent that!
You can do whatever you want with that :D

Hey 85, where did you get that oil pan gasket for your 302? That's really slick. I have the same type for my valve cover gaskets. I've re-used them twice, and I've had them on there for about 12 years. Not one drop has made it past those.

I wonder if I can find those for my 4.6 valve covers???????
Yeah, it is a Felpro I got mine from O'Reilly's. I have Victor valve cover gaskets that seem like they are a steel frame coated in blue silicone (really mushy but actually gray)... they do a very sad job of holding oil. I kinda wonder if my chrome valve covers are not partially to blame though...

Last edited:

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You can do whatever you want with that :D

Yeah, it is a Felpro I got mine from O'Reilly's. I have these valve cover gaskets that seem like they are a steel frame coated in blue silicone (really mushy but actually gray)... they do a very sad job of holding oil. I kinda wonder if my chrome valve covers are not partially to blame though...
I have a set of steel valve cover gaskets hanging up in my shed that were stuck to my GT40P heads when I bought them. I wondered if Ford switched to them late in the 302 production.

Also, when I did my intake manifold gasket on my 91 Explorer, those were also steel. That is the only set I've ever seen on a 4.0 too.

EDIT: Late Model Restoration sells the 289/302/351 sets for 15 bucks shipped:

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/LRS-6584L/1979-95-Mustang-50L-58L-Rubber-Valve-Cover-Gaskets

Last edited:

koda6966

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If anyone says JB weld, no it wont work.

Trust me, I'd know :D

Pbheadshots

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/8 mix
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well guys heres a bit of background, it's a 2.9 v6 and I've changed every gasket on the damn thing and the only one that wants to leak is the two piece felpro oil pan gasket. Which I figured misalligned somewhere in the process of pulling the pan back on. Since I didn't use a engine stand I couldn't turn it upside down to do it the easy way. Hind side says I should of got ahold of a buddies stand...

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Hind side says I should of got ahold of a buddies stand...
An ass told you you should have got your buddies stand? :confused:

Sent while I should be doing something else

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
if you put the seal on the oil pan then reach in and pull it out, reposition thats exactly what happened when i did my oil pan gasket lowered the motor back down wasn't on there all dandy like so i dropped the pan a little bit reached in there and grabbed the seal out put it back on used plenty of rtv on the seams on the side and bolted it back up still holds oil to this day. Dont go half assed it will never work do it right.
Edit: im just curious did you think some sort of oil pan dwelling monster ate the seal or something?

Last edited:

Pbheadshots

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/8 mix
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
if you put the seal on the oil pan then reach in and pull it out, reposition thats exactly what happened when i did my oil pan gasket lowered the motor back down wasn't on there all dandy like so i dropped the pan a little bit reached in there and grabbed the seal out put it back on used plenty of rtv on the seams on the side and bolted it back up still holds oil to this day. Dont go half assed it will never work do it right.
Edit: im just curious did you think some sort of oil pan dwelling monster ate the seal or something?
Obviously the seal moved but I swear my 2.9 has little gremlins living inside doing crazy things to my motor, but then again, no.