•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Sacrelig...or not...replacing lights

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
On a whim, bought a complete set of exterior lights (Tru brite or tru glo) to replace my old faded ones. Mind you the originals are not in bad shape but I got all of the new ones for $69 shipping and all.

Anyway, I'm goofy...I like the original stuff especially because it has little Ford emblems on them but the new lights are brighter.

Current plans are to wash the old ones in hot soapy water inside and out and put them up after Plastx cleaning them as well. And I even had my son come outside and tell me which ones looked better/brighter (left one side in and old ones on other and didn't tell him what I had done) and he picked the new ones.

I do know the original taillights are a better quality and have a piece up top the new ones don't but they new ones are not FORD lights...silly I am sure because the new taillights are indeed much brighter, etc.

What do y'all think? Sacrileg or not to take off working lights...I've got so many other things to fix but I bought my little brother a set of taillights for his 79 Chevy for his bday and they looked so much better than his stock ones (one was busted and had to be replaced) that I saw mine and bought them...

I know, not real problems but I love these old trucks and I love all the cool Ford marked stuff on it!

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Hey, it is your choice. I've been sticking close to stop...although I seen someone replace the square headlights with the older style round sealed beam ones. Can't remember if it was a gen 1 BII or a Ranger (front on they look the same so my mental image is no use). I thought that was a pretty cool look and I've had an internal debate about doing something like that on mine. The overall character is the same but it is just different that it make someone who knows these ponys think something is different without necessarily putting a finger on it.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Its getting harder to find good OEM stuff. A nice pair of shiny new tail lights can make a vehicle look like new :)