•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Scored another B2....for now!!!

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Just scored an 88 Eddie Bauer B2 4x4. Guy I bought it from claims that it ran great until a few months ago when he pushed the clutch in, heard a pop and cracking noise, then the truck wouldn't turn over. Looked at it and saw that the clutch switch was cracked into pieces and the rod was bent and disconnected. Trailered it home today and I'll start tearing into it soon. Couldn't pass it up for $500. The tires are almost worth that. Worst case I'll take the tires and some interior parts that I could use on my other truck, and scrap the rest. But I really want to try to bypass the clutch switch and see if I can get her to turn over.

Any suggestions?

Here is what I got for $500.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Damn $500? Thats a great find. You parting it out or building it?

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Get a wiring diagram, and run a jumper wire between the terminals in the pigtail for the switch. Or find the jumper block from an automatic rig and plug it into the harness. Put the stick in N and see if it cranks.

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Hoping to get it driving and sell it. Using the profits to fund new gears for my B2. If I can't get it on the road again, I'll take parts that I can use and sell the rest for scrap.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Hoping to get it driving and sell it. Using the profits to fund new gears for my B2. If I can't get it on the road again, I'll take parts that I can use and sell the rest for scrap.
You let me know if it goes down the scrap road. BIIs are hard to find out here and I need some stupid little parts here and there.

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Jumped the switch for the clutch, hit the key and she fired right up. Sounded pretty good, but the exhaust needs some serious work. Next to figure out if it's just a clutch issue, or if the tranny is toast. Feels good when I shift thru the gears, but the truck does nothing!

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Drop the pan on the trans and look inside. Since she doesn't move at all you should be able to put it in gear, let it roll, and look underneath into the trans.

Probably a toasted clutch if none of the gears do anything though.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'd more than likely guess the clutch is gone completely. I'd think if it were a transmission issue, that you would get at least some movement forward or backward. Clutch went out in a friends little Ford Festiva a while back and it wouldn't move at all, no friction material left to get it to go anywhere. Bet a clutch set and you'll be good to go.

Body looks like its in pretty good condition as well as the interior.

.....Wait I found your problem in picture #4. The shift knob is on upside down ;).

Now why is it I can't find any deals like this on vehicles. That $130 for a clutch kit would be something I could do. The $10k in restoration to my current B2 ain't going to happen that's about what I make in a year :(.

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Planning on dropping the t-case this weekend so I can see the tail shaft. Hopefully it's just a clutch kit! Trying not to dump too much money into her. Hoping to sell for a profit. Lol

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Planning on dropping the t-case this weekend so I can see the tail shaft. Hopefully it's just a clutch kit! Trying not to dump too much money into her. Hoping to sell for a profit. Lol
Well even after installing a clutch kit, if you can do it yourself wouldn't be too bad. And you can still get a pretty descent profit out of that rig from the looks of the body and interior it seems to be in really nice shape not many out there like that anymore most I see look like my 84 B2 or worse. Full of rust, paint missing, overly modified ruining any sort of practical use other than pure offroad.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I swapped my clutch and pressure plate while I had my engine out. I dont remember the cost from NAPA but I remember I laughed how cheap it was compared to other projects and its bout as easy as it could be. Im guessing you are going to pull the engine anyway to replace gaskets and the rear main seal. This is one of the easiest engines to pull Ive ever seen, I think if it were me thats what I would do. It takes less than an hour to have this motor swinging from a cherry picker. Swap in new exhaust manifold gaskets, new rear main, and put a new clutch, flywheel and pressure plate in there. If I were a savvy buyer and saw that shit had just been done I would be sold seeing how the rear main seals on these things are the devil for leaking.

Last edited:

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Dropped the tranny and T-case today. Tranny appears to work good. Clutch appears to be in great shape. Slave was locked up. Master is leaking. Called rockauto and ordered a new slave and master cylinder. Hopefully next week she's all back together with a for sale sign in the window!!!

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Here is an update. Everything is back in and working. Took a short drive around the block. Clutch, tranny and t-case all worked perfect. Engine running a little rough. Gonna give her a tune up and see if that helps. Hopefully a tune up and some fresh gas gets her running right. Ready to get her sold!