•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Shifter Boot Removal tips?

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I need to adjust the transfer switch shifter cam plate (hope it is just that) in my 87 B2. To do this I need to remove to combined boot for the transfer case and transmission shifters.

I have located the screws I need to remove. The challenge is the carpet. It is quite tight around the boot. While I can, with effort, shift the carpet enough to get at the screws, the opening in the carpet seems to be pretty tight and I think when I get the screws out that there is a plate that comes up with the bottom of the boot and that appears to be bigger than the opening in the carpet.

Without cutting the carpet to make the hole larger, is it possible to remove it without pulling up the whole carpet which looks like it will be a pain?

Any other tips that might make this easier?

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That big plate shouldn't need to come up if your doing what I think you are... Not even the shifter boot for that matter..

It can be done from underneath the truck.

Are you trying to adjust the shifter guide (thing with the shift pattern cut into it) for a manual transfer case?

Is it not going far enough to go into 2WD high or 4x4 low?

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Is it not going far enough to go into 2WD high or 4x4 low?
Yep that is exactly it. Barely gets into 4x4 low and sometimes slips out. Also to get it into 4x4 high I have to push the stick left to get past the stop and pull it slightly into the neutral position.

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, usually fairly easy. Just loosen the two bolts in that enough that you can (barely) move it. Then set it to something that works and tighten the bolts back down. You'll probably have to go from under the truck to in it 3-4 times before you get it right. I did.

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Thanks for the help, it was pretty easy after getting a wrench big enough to get on the big nut with enough leverage for me to move it.

I may have adjusted it a bit too far in the other direction.

I have no clue why the shop manual said to pull the boot and all. Maybe to access the nuts from the top? I dunno, it was all pretty obvious from underneath once you knew what had to loosen.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The shop manual tells you to do it the wrong way because it was written by people who, despite having designed and built the vehicle, still have no clue about how to work on it.

SenorNoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That's why manuals are usually useless except for torque specs and wiring diagrams.^

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That's why manuals are usually useless except for torque specs and wiring diagrams.^
The biggest thing I use the manual for anymore is to see which bolts I am not supposed to reuse.