•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Should I go 302 or 4.0L swap?

Spdrcer34

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
You guys are arguing the good and bad points of the MOTORS at hand....but you are failing to bring up the MOST IMPORTANT failure point....TRANSMISSIONS!

The 4.0L has VERY FEW transmission options. And to be honest, there is only 1 'good' option of them. And that is the `05+ V6 Mustang T-5.....

The 5.0L on the other hand has everything the 4.0L doesn't have...More Torque. More Torque Potential. More HP. More HP potential. And MANY Transmission options. Top Loader, T-45, T-5, T-56, M5OD, TKO, 3550, 3560, C4, C6, AOD, AODE/4R70W....And those are just the ones I can think of right now that BOLT RIGHT UP...

Ryan

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
You guys are arguing the good and bad points of the MOTORS at hand....but you are failing to bring up the MOST IMPORTANT failure point....TRANSMISSIONS!

The 4.0L has VERY FEW transmission options. And to be honest, there is only 1 'good' option of them. And that is the `05+ V6 Mustang T-5.....

The 5.0L on the other hand has everything the 4.0L doesn't have...More Torque. More Torque Potential. More HP. More HP potential. And MANY Transmission options. Top Loader, T-45, T-5, T-56, M5OD, TKO, 3550, 3560, C4, C6, AOD, AODE/4R70W....And those are just the ones I can think of right now that BOLT RIGHT UP...

Ryan
Actually the 4.0 has the M5OD option from the factory in Rangers, a manual truck 1989 or newer has one.

2.8's had a C-5 that will also bolt to a 4.0, the C-5 is similar to a C-4. I actually have a C-5 with a C-4 bellhousing for my V-8 swap. It takes a little hunting around but they are out there.

The OP wants to go with a 4.0 now, further debate isn't really needed.

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Right on...M50D is a damn good transmission.
The 5.0 has a few good ones too.
I do wish people would move on to newer and more interesting motors. The 5.0 is alright...but i'd like to see the new lincoln motor in a ranger...that thing looks like it'd haul ass AND get good fuel economy.

stevenf

Reaction score
Right on...M50D is a damn good transmission.
The 5.0 has a few good ones too.
I do wish people would move on to newer and more interesting motors. The 5.0 is alright...but i'd like to see the new lincoln motor in a ranger...that thing looks like it'd haul ass AND get good fuel economy.
Ive been doing a little research on the 4.2L v6 and it sounds awesome. 202hp and 252ft.lbs torque. From what I understand, that to will bolt in just like the 4.0L. This is a good thing for me because there are tons of 99-03 F-150s sitting in local junk yards. Any input?

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
The 4.2 V6 is as wide as a 302 and nearly as long. It does use the same transmission bell as a 302, not the 4.0.

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Actually the 4.0 has the M5OD option from the factory in Rangers, a manual truck 1989 or newer has one.

2.8's had a C-5 that will also bolt to a 4.0, the C-5 is similar to a C-4. I actually have a C-5 with a C-4 bellhousing for my V-8 swap. It takes a little hunting around but they are out there.

The OP wants to go with a 4.0 now, further debate isn't really needed.
My 89 had an M5OD behind the 2.9. It had issues from day one. Mainly leaks.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Every once in awhile they goof up from the norm, just like how my parents have 170k miles on their A4LD...

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You just gotta get rid of the rubber plugs...

There is no replacement for displacement. So, if your lookin for big power and torque via a more 'buildable' motor, go with the 5.0. (more costly, more work)

If you just have a DD or weekend warrior that needs some more 'oomph' so that you can actually use 4x4 high, go with a 4.0. (less costly, less work)

Pretty simple.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Ive been doing a little research on the 4.2L v6 and it sounds awesome. 202hp and 252ft.lbs torque. From what I understand, that to will bolt in just like the 4.0L. This is a good thing for me because there are tons of 99-03 F-150s sitting in local junk yards. Any input?
Eh, no. The 4.2 is a stroked 3.8. They have the same head sealing issues plus they like to eat crank shafts..

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
I'll leave it alone. I was only here to share my opinion. I'll leave it at that.
come one man i was trying to joke WITH you not at you.

Where's the benefit of a 4.0 swap then? :D
all the stuff to go back in bolts in and is much cheaper to obtain.plus it serves the role of putt around idling gas waster (work truck) much better.theres just no need for a v-8 unless its a toy.

There is no replacement for displacement. So, if your lookin for big power and torque via a more 'buildable' motor, go with the 5.0. (more costly, more work)

If you just have a DD or weekend warrior that needs some more 'oomph' so that you can actually use 4x4 high, go with a 4.0. (less costly, less work)

Pretty simple.
exactly,you can't compare these motors apples to apples when they are better at filling different roles.when someone with a DD comes on and says "which is better" i know exactly what to say.

if my truck ever gets one tons i'de swap to the beautiful music of a small block:headbang: otherwise i am still looking for a diesel that will get me into the mid 20's mpg

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
theres just no need for a v-8 unless its a toy.
Oh but there is. When I started the swap back in 2001, the original 2.9 was starting to have isssues with the EFI system. Nobody around here knew how to fix it. Then the clutch went south (for the 2nd time @ 110,000 miles) and it developed an exhaust leak on the right manifold. The Manifold bolts twisted off in the head when I tried to remove them, that and the bolts holding the exhaust pipe to the manifold refused to unscrew. That was the straw that broke the camel's back. Out went the 2.9 and in went the 302/C-4 auto. 7 years and 5 engine combos later, it's been relegated to occasional work truck with an Explorer level 5.0, but carbed. Tame enough to put around town, fast enough to boil the 275/60's out back on demand. Gas mileage is in the 15-20 mpg range, same as the 2.9 was getting after 110K miles. You CAN have your cake and eat it too with a V8.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
7 years and 5 engine combos later

not having much luck eh?how much does that cost compared to a 4.0l?

Gas mileage is same as the 2.9 was getting after 110K miles. You CAN have your cake and eat it too with a V8.
i call BS,i'm pretty sure you have a 2wd so you wouldn't really notice the 4low and or below 10mph fuel consumption of a small block compared to a 2.9 or 4.0.
i've had my share of smallblock powered cars as well as 4cyl.what i've found is you get the best bang for the buck running the least amount of motor you need.unless you run huge tires the power to traction thresh hold is rediculous too,i bet its real fun trying to drive your truck to tahoe in the snow.i like low powered trucks and the 4.0l is on the traction edge in a lot of sloppy situations anyway.

it is way too easy to get a 302 to drain your tank idling around.any way you slice it the small block is excess.add to that the extra cost of the 302 swap and yes i'de call it a toy,not utilitarian.

don't get me wrong a hotrod with ranger badges is fun but not for everyone.especially those who don't want to become a felon by ripping out all the smog and getting the cops harassing them to boot.

you can't say gee one is better than the other(as they both have their strong points),but i will say there are a lot more applications for the smaller SMOG LEGAL motor.

people get hung up on the motors themselves in these discussions rather than where they are best suited. its not about the #'s

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
i call BS,i'm pretty sure you have a 2wd so you wouldn't really notice the 4low and or below 10mph fuel consumption of a small block compared to a 2.9 or 4.0.
i've had my share of smallblock powered cars as well as 4cyl.what i've found is you get the best bang for the buck running the least amount of motor you need.unless you run huge tires the power to traction thresh hold is rediculous too,i bet its real fun trying to drive your truck to tahoe in the snow.i like low powered trucks and the 4.0l is on the traction edge in a lot of sloppy situations anyway.

it is way too easy to get a 302 to drain your tank idling around.any way you slice it the small block is excess.add to that the extra cost of the 302 swap and yes i'de call it a toy,not utilitarian.

don't get me wrong a hotrod with ranger badges is fun but not for everyone.especially those who don't want to become a felon by ripping out all the smog and getting the cops harassing them to boot.

you can't say gee one is better than the other(as they both have their strong points),but i will say there are a lot more applications for the smaller SMOG LEGAL motor.

people get hung up on the motors themselves in these discussions rather than where they are best suited. its not about the #'s
Tahoe? I don't do Kalifornia. Try South Louisiana's "Gumbo" mud for traction capability. Lot thicker than snow and twice as slippery. There's an art to "walking" a truck in low ttaction situations. It's all in knowing what you're doing. An experienced driver can handle most situations regardless of engine. Nothing felonious about an engine swap, if you know how to go about it. Besides, how many federal smog cops have you ever seen? :icon_rofl: It's only illegal if you get cought and the chances of that ever happening is nil (unless you vote in the Democrats and Nobama, then all bets are off) And there's no excess cost in a V8 swap vs a 4.0, if you know how to shop. You can end up paying more for a complete 4.0 just as easily as a V8 Exploder motor. As far as fuel economy at idle, that's something that is a moot point, who idles around all day long anyway? (answer is virtually nobody)

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Try South Louisiana's "Gumbo" mud for traction capability. Lot thicker than snow and twice as slippery.

i'm sure your 2wd truck sees it all the time:taunt:,i have a bud who never puts his big block in low range because its instant wheel spin from EXCESS power

As far as fuel economy at idle, that's something that is a moot point, who idles around all day long anyway? (answer is virtually everybody)
another v8 buff tried that arguement,but its quite relevant.unless i hypermile a v8 it will get crap for mileage.why shouldn't i only want to spend a half tank over a weekend? instead of a full tank and then some?

better economy idling and putting around a job site or in the woods is a plus for a work truck.

people with v8's say-
-its almost as cheap and easy
-same mileage
-more power

but the fact is its all too easy for them to cost way more if you don't get a slamming deal and drink way more gas.aside from all the custom work most people can't do themselves.a 4.0l IS A BOLT IN SWAP,ALL THE WAY!.some small blocks even have LESS power than a 4.0l.

you act like i'm condemning the small block not clarifying when it does and doesn't make sense.i don't think eveything should have a 4.0 but i sure get that from a lot of defenders of the faith(smallblock).

far as i'm concerned the only time you NEED a v8 is for those gumbo mud runs on huge tires(um can you say TOY not utilitarian truck)

can you make them work?-yes

are they as practical as a 4.0?-NO!

can you acknowledge the point? is there ANY situation you wouldn't want a 302 in rbv?

Last edited:

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
id go with the 5.0, its far more fun to drive..4.0's wont inpress you once u do the 5.0 swap.

millermayhem

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I live in an area where my Bronco II does not sit around and idle. So fuel used while idling is a moot point. The 2.8 is a noisy engine and while it does not feel like it is going to explode, it can be fatiguing to drive on the freeway while the 2.8 drones down the road.

what engine would display the best road manners and reliability? ( assuming a carb was ran for both setups). I understand that the V8 would most likely get lesser MPG. I am not rock crawling or mud bogging. I want a reliable rig to take the family camping and some intermediate off roading.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
but the fact is its all too easy for them to cost way more if you don't get a slamming deal and drink way more gas.aside from all the custom work most people can't do themselves.a 4.0l IS A BOLT IN SWAP,ALL THE WAY!.some small blocks even have LESS power than a 4.0l.
That goes for anything, even a brake job can snowball to be a much larger project than anticipated.

Whichever way he goes he will need an engine, tranmission (sooner or later) and driveshafts for his different axles... cheaper depends on what he can get parts for which can vary wildly depending on both area and seller.

I live in an area where my Bronco II does not sit around and idle. So fuel used while idling is a moot point. The 2.8 is a noisy engine and while it does not feel like it is going to explode, it can be fatiguing to drive on the freeway while the 2.8 drones down the road.

what engine would display the best road manners and reliability? ( assuming a carb was ran for both setups). I understand that the V8 would most likely get lesser MPG. I am not rock crawling or mud bogging. I want a reliable rig to take the family camping and some intermediate off roading.
A carbed V-8 would probably be the way to go for you, unless you get a donar Ranger with the same configuration as yours you will need to add ALL the EFI stuff to do either a 4.0 or a EFI 5.0. There has been some talk about using a GM throttlebody on a Ford 5.0 which I find very intriguing as they have about the same requirements as a carburator but gives you most of the benefits of EFI.

If you haven't yet you might adjust the valves in your 2.8, they are mechanical and need readjusted from time to time. That should quiet it down a little and might give you some more power.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
A 5.0L is really reliable, too. This is one of the main reasons why I decided to build one. A friend of mine dropped a stock EFI 5.0L HO w/ 130K in his station wagon w/ AOD. Runs great. No matter which way you go, there's going to be a heap of issues to sort through. I ran into small issues on a SBC -> SBC swap even - 262ci V8 to 327ci V8. Seems like a no-brainer... It was just a couple of brackets that I needed to fabricate, otherwise it was pretty simple.

I think it's going to come down to your skills in either wiring or fabricating. An EFI swap might not be such a great idea if you suck w/ wiring. Just hate to see someone get half way into something, just to junk it because they couldn't finish it.

But I do agree, a 4.0L sounds like it would be perfect for your purposes. But it's not going to be that easy from a wiring stand point.

As far as comparing the two power to power, that's comparing apples to oranges. The 5.0L has 2 more pistons. The wagon I referring to above has all kinds of low end torque. :) But it's more of a toy like stated above, as my truck will be as well.

Pete

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
another v8 buff tried that arguement,but its quite relevant.unless i hypermile a v8 it will get crap for mileage.why shouldn't i only want to spend a half tank over a weekend? instead of a full tank and then some?

better economy idling and putting around a job site or in the woods is a plus for a work truck.

people with v8's say-
-its almost as cheap and easy
-same mileage
-more power

you act like i'm condemning the small block not clarifying when it does and doesn't make sense.i don't think eveything should have a 4.0 but i sure get that from a lot of defenders of the faith(smallblock).

far as i'm concerned the only time you NEED a v8 is for those gumbo mud runs on huge tires(um can you say TOY not utilitarian truck)

can you make them work?-yes

are they as practical as a 4.0?-NO!

can you acknowledge the point? is there ANY situation you wouldn't want a 302 in rbv?
You bud who got wheel spin with a bigblock in low range and got wheel spin, simply needed to upshift to a higher gear. :icon_rofl: and take advantage of the higher torque. You keep trying to list the advantages of a 4.0 swap, but you yourself and others have yet to make your case. It sounds to me like it's just as complicated a swap as a V8. There's no torque advantage, no mileage advantage here, other than it supposedly being a bolt in swap, which in your desciption, isn't the case, if you have to completely remove everything and start back from scratch. It's every bit as easy to do an Explorer 5.0 swap in a 98-up truck. It all boils down to personal choice, as one swap is as complcated as the other.