•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Should I go 302 or 4.0L swap?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
another v8 buff tried that arguement,but its quite relevant.unless i hypermile a v8 it will get crap for mileage.why shouldn't i only want to spend a half tank over a weekend? instead of a full tank and then some?

better economy idling and putting around a job site or in the woods is a plus for a work truck.

.a 4.0l IS A BOLT IN SWAP,ALL THE WAY!.

far as i'm concerned the only time you NEED a v8 is for those gumbo mud runs on huge tires(um can you say TOY not utilitarian truck)

is there ANY situation you wouldn't want a 302 in rbv?
Tahoe? I don't do Kalifornia.
i love bigots

It sounds to me like it's just as complicated a swap as a V8. other than it supposedly being a bolt in swap, which in your desciption, isn't the case,

i don't see how its not.i unbolted the few things i needed and BOLTED them in,i even reused a lot of stuff that was under the hood,that doesn't compare to cutting up ac boxes,making or buying motor mounts,expensive radiator,thats all before you even hook it up to a transfer case and have custom driveshafts made:rolleyes: and buy that more expensive motor and a carb and intake for it(carb for the dummies who want simple and NOT LEGAL) and then you get something which would suck gas like crazy every time you go wheeling-oh gee wait you said NO ONE idles their trucks or drives in low range

if you have to completely remove everything and start back from scratch

um thats not true AT ALL,.

It all boils down to personal choice, as one swap is as complcated as the other.
wow still got your head up somewhere eh?should i list everything? i swapped a motor and wiring that i had to move 8 wires on-easy.it bolted to the factory motor mounts, tranny,tcase driveshafts,radiator,02 sensor.every single aspect was factory bolt on, and straight forward.there are no 302 swaps that will and there are no v-8 explorers for the cost of a 90-94 in the wrecking yard.

sounds like someone was spooked by a couple wires and threw a carbed pile(several actually,until one ran) in his 2wd,and now crows that everyone should have a truck that can't be smogged.i f'd up a few cars in highschool that way but now i like clean work.

as i said before there are app's where i'de want a small block and it would really be easier to swap,like maybe a factory carbed rbv,or where i actually need the extra power. i'm not demonizing it or saying theres no reason to swap in a 4.0 like you are.it certainly does boil down to choice but NOT because the engines or the swaps are equal.as far as i'm concerned you haven't addressed any of my points and have explained quite well that you have no idea how easy a 4.0 swap is in a 89-94 compared to a v8 swap.

have a nice day, rick:thefinger:

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
:bsflag:
i love bigots

wow still got your head up somewhere eh?should i list everything? i swapped a motor and wiring that i had to move 8 wires on-easy.it bolted to the factory motor mounts, tranny,tcase driveshafts,radiator,02 sensor.every single aspect was factory bolt on, and straight forward.there are no 302 swaps that will and there are no v-8 explorers for the cost of a 90-94 in the wrecking yard.

sounds like someone was spooked by a couple wires and threw a carbed pile(several actually,until one ran) in his 2wd,and now crows that everyone should have a truck that can't be smogged.i f'd up a few cars in highschool that way but now i like clean work.

as i said before there are app's where i'de want a small block and it would really be easier to swap,like maybe a factory carbed rbv,or where i actually need the extra power. i'm not demonizing it or saying theres no reason to swap in a 4.0 like you are.it certainly does boil down to choice but NOT because the engines or the swaps are equal.as far as i'm concerned you haven't addressed any of my points and have explained quite well that you have no idea how easy a 4.0 swap is in a 89-94 compared to a v8 swap.

have a nice day, rick:thefinger:
:bsflag:

The only biggoted one here is you. You can always tell when someone thinks they're loosing an arguement, they start the name calling, bird flipping and other derogatory statements. Grow up Junior. :rolleyes:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
I don't do Kalifornia.
i do take that as an insult

:bsflag::bsflag:

The only biggoted one here is you. You can always tell when someone thinks they're loosing an arguement, they start the name calling, bird flipping and other derogatory statements. Grow up Junior. :rolleyes:
nice try,but you still have yet to address any of the facts i've brought up(besides the bs flag lol),i think i've spelled it out quite well and am now starting to have fun with you.maybe you need to take your own advise,grow up and start coming up with facts.;missingteeth;

you must be republican party,the misdirection tactics are very similar:haha:

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
:icon_rofl:Yea, I had you pegged as a NoBama supporter:icon_rofl: when you started in with the name calling to bolster your arguements.:icon_rofl: You've got to stop drinkin that koolaid they're serving.:no2: He'll drag down the rest of the country just like Kalifornia.:stirthepot:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
you must be republican party,the misdirection tactics are very similar:haha:

His post has nothing to do with the Republican party. I'm a Republican, and would not make such a post.

Between a 4.0 and 302? Better fuel economy with an RBV, and the swap requires way less time and money. You could take the money you save, spend half of it on some performance upgrades for the 4.0, and get more TQ and HP than the stock 302. The 302 is only a worthwhile swap if you build it up. The 4.0 is worthwhile stock.

Little testament to the Ford 4.0: Recently I went up north with a buddy to offroad. He had an XJ with the I6 4.0. He was following me. At every turnoff I'd notice he would fall behind for a bit. We got to the park and he mentioned that he was barely able to keep up with me during acceleration. I was taking it easy on the skinny pedal. He was turning 31s, I'm turning 35s and weigh a lot more due to bumper, winch, doubler, real frame, etc.

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
:icon_rofl:Yea, I had you pegged as a NoBama supporter:icon_rofl: when you started in with the name calling to bolster your arguements.:icon_rofl: He'll drag down the rest of the country just like Kalifornia.:stirthepot:
wrong on all counts.some of obamas ideas make me pretty nervous. and like i said,you started your "name calling" with the california jibe and have ignored all the facts which i admit has been annoying.but i have figured out why you're argueing the point long after the o.p. decided quite logically that a v8 isen't the best choice for him.its the v8 forum:D:nopityA:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
His post has nothing to do with the Republican party. I'm a Republican, and would not make such a post.
i'm not registered as any party,and don't mind comparing similar tactics as i see them in the political threads here

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
The "Kalifornia" jibe is hardly name calling. It IS something well deserved, being earned by your illustious Governor who's a RINO.

Spdrcer34

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
...back on subject...

The M5OD is a POS transmission...I have rebuilt them, over and over again. They can't hold the torque that even a sllightly modded 4.0L had....

Before anyone tries to argue THAT point with me, I would like to know if you have ever rebuilt a M5OD, and/or a T5..

If you have re-built BOTH of them, then you can't honestly argue that the M5OD is a good transmission.

300+ ft/lbs torque, through a M5OD, turning 3.73 gears, with 285/50-18 tires, and a 4800lb SUV killed 3 M5OD's in 2.5 years....THEY ARE CRAP!

The `05+ T5 behind the SOHC is probably the SINGLE GREATEST trans to put behind the 4.0L (SOHC or OHV)...but they are spendy.

5.0L HANDS DOWN for total reliability....No head issues. No Intake gasket issues. No Transmission issues. No Cam Belt/timing chain issues.

Ryan

baddad457

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
I had basically the conversation once with a local transmission guy when he wondered why I chose a Toploader 4 speed over a T5 in my Ranger behind the V8. I told him the T5 was crap compared to a Toploader. He replied he didn't think so as he rebuilds T5's all the time.;missingteeth; I answered back that the Toploader I had was 35 years old with no rebuild. :icon_idea: I toyed with the idea of an M5ODR2 behind it once, but never got around to doing it. The Toploader is going to outlast the truck. It'll go into my 77 Comet next when the 89 Ranger is done.

stevenf

Reaction score
Wow, you guys are taking this question way to seriously lmao.
I guess, from what im understanding. The 4.0L is easiest swap, has enough power and torque but has crappy transmission options. The 5.0L is obviously more Hp and torque , better transmission options,but is more of a pain to swap in. Is this really what it comes down to? Transmission options and time involved?

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Wow, you guys are taking this question way to seriously lmao.
I guess, from what im understanding. The 4.0L is easiest swap, has enough power and torque but has crappy transmission options. The 5.0L is obviously more Hp and torque , better transmission options,but is more of a pain to swap in. Is this really what it comes down to? Transmission options and time involved?
and money,the 4.0 is cheaper in a 4x4.most guys get over a hundred thousand miles out of the m5od even in the explorers.you can adapt v8 trannies to the back of the 4.0 if you thought there was a need.

baddad- rino? be glad you got rescued ,it was getting pretty entertaining;missingteeth;

stevenf

Reaction score
I was planning on doing axle swaps, then a enginge swap, then a trans swap after it gives out. I want to use my stock trans from my 89 Bronco II 2.9L. Any idea the reliability of these?

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
and money,the 4.0 is cheaper in a 4x4.most guys get over a hundred thousand miles out of the m5od even in the explorers.you can adapt v8 trannies to the back of the 4.0 if you thought there was a need.
Once you drop the $$ on those kits if you can find one you should kick yourself for not getting a crate 302 and using the tranmission in its stock form.

The only way you can get by that is if you combine a C-4 and a C-5, but then you can go the other way too... I have what started out as a C-5 behind a 2.8 converted to bolt onto a V-8 with a C-4 bellhousing. But some guys are picky about their milage and not having an overdrive it won't be great. RBV C-5's are not that common of a critter to come across either, 1984 was the last year for them, only 2 years of production.

He is doing enough work to make it easy to swing either way really, the only major part that would stay if I did either swap would be the t-case with the 4.0 as it would still bolt to the 4.0 transmission. Otherwise everything else changes... and the EFI V-8 wiring would be similar to the 4.0's.

I have always held the RBV M5OD in a fairly high reguard though, I have seen the fullsize version get thrashed as well... it came up all smiles when it was over and had no reason to IMO other than spite.

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Once you drop the $$ on those kits if you can find one you should kick yourself for not getting a crate 302 and using the tranmission in its stock form.

yeah i wouldn't do it either,but the adapters are out there.

steven-if your stock tranny is in good shape you can baby it until you get another,but if its an auto it probably won't last long.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
I plan on running my stock auto trans until it goes out. It was rebuild about 70k miles ago. I will just wheel in low on the t-case or shift the trans into first and second.
steven-if your stock tranny is in good shape you can baby it until you get another,but if its an auto it probably won't last long.
:icon_thumby: