•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

T5 behind a 4.0?

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Right now I've got a T5 behind my 2.9, with the advanced adapters parts. I've been thinking about a 4.0 swap, so I've been reading and researching as much on it as possible. The write up in the tech library states the adapter I've got now is only good for the 2.9, and AA doesn't offer anything for ford v6 anymore...so my question then is if I do the 4.0 swap, am I stuck swapping in a new tranny also, or has anyone heard of/found a way to use the T5 with this engine?
Thanks for any insight.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well since the 2.9 and the 4.0 are the same block (more or less) I would assume it would work just fine. I don't know a whole lot about trans adapters, but I have a 4.0 trans against the 2.9 in my truck, so I can't see why it wouldn't work.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thats what I've been assuming the whole time I've been pondering the swap, but the writeup on T5-v6 in the library made sure to specify the adapter should only be used on the 2.9....id hate to spend the time rebuilding a 4.0 just to find out I need a new trans also! Maybe I can get in touch with someone from advanced adapters and see what they have to say....

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I wonder if the adapter isn't rated for the torque of a 4.0.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Update:
I contacted advance adapters with my question to see what they would say, making sure to ask about the improved torque from the 4.0 and how it would affect the adapter. The customer service rep that contacted me assured me that the extra torque wouldn't pose a structural problem for the adapter, and as long as the bolt patterns match up (between the 2.9 and 4.0 ohv bellhousings, which I think they do) it should be a straightforward swap.
Good news for me!