•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Think I killed the rear diff.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
So I get the new motor running right, and I had to act like a jackass and dog on it for a while, and now I have a hum from the rear of the truck that starts around 35 mph and stops anytime I let off of the gas, and my rear anti lock light is on now. My guess is I wore out the gears and some how jacked up the ABS sensor on the top of the pumpkin. Anyway, I hoping you guys can tell me what my options are. I found some kits for the 7.5 but im not sure which tooth count is right, and I dont want to spend money on replacing that if there is an upgrade to be had around the same price. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
Have you pulled the diff cover yet to see what your working with?

If I was going to build up a crappy 7.5 I think I would just swap it out for a 8.8 for the same or less. Preferably one with 31 splines.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Have you pulled the diff cover yet to see what your working with?

If I was going to build up a crappy 7.5 I think I would just swap it out for a 8.8 for the same or less. Preferably one with 31 splines.
I havent, I pulled it a few months ago to change the wheel bearings and everything looked good, but truthfully I dont have loads of experience with diffs. How do I ensure that the ratios match? I dont want to destroy my transfer case with mismatched diffs. Will I be able to swap to a 8.8 and leave the front untouched? And where should I get one?

shane96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Still have the tag on the diff?

Posting from the Galaxy.

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
Either check the gear ratio tag. Or count the teeth. You can always do the jack up tires and count the turns.

8879ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I had the same problem, it made the hum sound under acceleration and under load when driving up-hill until the rear tires locked up and the differential blew-up. Had to replace the entire axle assembly because the casing was cracked. Picked up a used non-locking 7.5 complete assembly and installed 4.11 gears, stronger shafts and a locker before re-painting it all for just under $400. Also added a purple cranium diff guard for looks, cost around $100. I guess that bumps the total up to around $500, it just depends on what you want and what you do with your truck. Mine is mildly modified, but mostly I have just been improving upon the stock equipment on the jeep eater.

If the axles are going to be upgraded, why not just ad these:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/general-4x4-discussion/207712-crosspost-road-armor-high-clearance-1-ton-axle-ha1.jpg

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Lol. Ive been stuck at work and havrnt had a chance to look. Im looking for places to buy, can i get some links to my options?

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
1200 alone for the housing of that high clearance diff. That's the cheapest part of it too...

Pretty sure he just needs a solid 8.8. Haha

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
31 spline 8.8 swap...

sounds like a bearing issue in the rear diff to me. Personally, I'd 8.8 swap it. but you could just fix what ya got

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well what do i need to fix what i got? Isnt there a bolt in the pumpkin to check first or is it pretty much a closed case? Where should i be shopping for parts/ a 8.8? Do i need the entire assembly? Do brakes come with it? I should have said i have no experience with diffs besides changing the oil. Lol.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
need the entire assembly. Can get an 8.8 with drum or disk brakes. Need to make sure it matches gear ratio with your front or regear the front to match.

if you don't have any issues with a 7.5, just fix it. Personally I needed an 8.8

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
need the entire assembly. Can get an 8.8 with drum or disk brakes. Need to make sure it matches gear ratio with your front or regear the front to match.

if you don't have any issues with a 7.5, just fix it. Personally I needed an 8.8
Guys im sorry im such a noob, i dont even know what i would gain with a 8.8 over the 7.5. If i should where shold i buy from, for the 7.5 rebuild kit where should and what should i buy? Is a diff rebuild a at home job? Sorry to be the horse that needs led to water but could someone post up some links?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
diff's are not something just anyone should try..
if you end up having to tear it down and you don't get the shims and stuff back in right, you will end up with a useless rear diff, even after the rebuild. You're better off finding someone that knows what they are doing or swapping in another rear axle.

honestly, if you can pull an axle at a junkyard that is IDENTICAL to yours and bolt it in your truck, you'll probably be cheaper than a diff rebuild (depending on what you need)

as far as 8.8 advantages, disk brake option, stronger, a lot stronger, more aftermarket support since a lot of jeep guys use our 8.8 axles for a Jeep D35 rear axle alternative

Frank The Tank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98 70
Vehicle
Protege' F100-R
Engine Size
1. sumthing 7.3 gasoline
It's all Junkyard Dog build. But your 7.5 will fail again.. Just get a 8.8 jY 31 spline and carry on.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Where should I be shopping boys? If junk yard, what am I looking for?

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
just remember it's not bolt in.

Demi_II

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
just remember it's not bolt in.
Thats what Im seeing, moving the spring perches and such. I like doing my own work, and did my engine swap myself at home, but critical welding makes me worry. I might talk to a shop...