•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Thinkin about buying a BII

86isuzu

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Suspension Style
4wd
As the thread title states, I'm looking at buying a Bronco II. Specifically, a 1990 that my neighbor is selling for $2000.
He *says* he put $1000 into it in the past year, with new brakes and other things. I've lived near it for the past year, never seen the damn thing move. And other long term residents have said its been years since its moved.
Here are a few pics:

I figured I'd offer $1500. What are everybody's thoughts? It was built 2/89, when did they start sticking the D35 in BIIs?

I'd like to make it my weekend warrior/trail rig.

CarsonChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990/87
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0/2.9
11/89. Look in the tech section. There's a write up on finding out which axle you have. Yours is a 3:73 limited slip.

oksleeper

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1985
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4 bangers for now
It's only worth what your willing to pay

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I would pay 800 max for that, BII's are a dime a dozen in better condition than that. Save your money

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Well it looks like its not the best condition but how many miles are on the thing? Also rip those stupid front mud flaps off those things must drag on the ground all the time.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
I would pay 800 max for that, BII's are a dime a dozen in better condition than that. Save your money
Maybe where you live, these trucks are kind of rare in a lot of places.

86isuzu

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Suspension Style
4wd
11/89. Look in the tech section. There's a write up on finding out which axle you have. Yours is a 3:73 limited slip.
I looked up the axle code there, I couldn't remember where the hell I'd seen the cutoff for D35. Thanks

I wish BIIs were a dime a dozen around here. Gen 1 and 2 rangers are also pretty tough to find. Almost nothing lasts more than 10 years here in the rust belt. There is a much better condition one about 30 miles from here, also $2000 - but its an auto. I'd rather have the 5speed.

X46,000 is on the ODO. I haven't directly asked the guy yet, he's out of town now.
Mud flaps would be gone, plows gone, and add a skyjacker lift. :icon_bounceblue:

The body is in rough shape, but I crawled under, and the frame looks in decent shape. My 00 ranger's bed was in even worse shape - whole front of the bed had rotted away.

I've got a little time before he returns home though, to pool my resources and possibly find something better.

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
1000 bucks tops man. I don't buy the "1000 dollars in work" story but maybe it's different in person...

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
If it was actually used for plowing much the suspension is probably pretty tired. Not to mention the clutch issues if the operator wasn't gentle.

86isuzu

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Suspension Style
4wd
If I do decide to get it, the first thing I'd do is yank the entire suspension out. The thing looks tired.
I'll attempt to offer $1000, but the guys a stubborn ass - I doubt he'll budge much. No way in Hell I'll pay more than 1500 for it though.
The frame does look surprisingly solid. The body shows the rusting at the wheel wells and roof. Perfect candidate for a chop top.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
If it runs and drives without any issues it would probably make a great vehicle for you. I just picked up an 84 B2 runs and drives great, has some rust issues, and just fixed the alternator wiring this morning so now I'm in a waiting game for money to get it registered and insured.

86isuzu

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Suspension Style
4wd
Too much money and that's not a '90, it's an '89.
Lol, so it is! It only took 12 posts for someone to notice that.
Yeah, it is overpriced. Wish there were more Bronco IIs in the area.