•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

thinking of switching auto to manual.

yehaadon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I found a guy that has a 89 B2 just like mine that has a manual. he said he would sell me the trans ,slave cylinder, master cylinder, pedals , flywheel, clutch. shifter, boot and every part I need to convert mine over for 400 dollars. My auto is acting up and it has to be changed anyways. my drive shaft is bad and he said he has a aftermarket one that he will include ! He said the clutch only has about a 1000 miles on it before the motor went. You all like the manual better or should I stick with a auto ?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
The automatics on any BII from '86-'90 are horrible. Getting rid of it is a good thing if you don't mind the work.

The Fonz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Get the manual, it gives you better performance and fuel economy. Apparently there are 2 kinds of manuals and one is better. I believe the one without a "pan" under the transmission is the worse of the 2, but still better than the A4LD.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Get the manual, it gives you better performance and fuel economy. Apparently there are 2 kinds of manuals and one is better. I believe the one without a "pan" under the transmission is the worse of the 2, but still better than the A4LD.
There were many manual transmissions used in the early RBVs. The one without the "pan" was far and away the BEST. The M5OD is the trans that we are all out there looking for.

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Manual, adsm08 is dead on, the "no pan" 5speed is the Mazda that Ford used for 1/2 ton apps and lots more. I just got one and am in the middle of the swap myself.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I just got a 4.0 5 speed for someone else.In a 91 exp. got it for $300 but maybe it was a good deal.I would look for something like this and change the motor as well.If you get the tranny offer him less not a lot of buyers either.Even if the slave is pretty young put a new one in in my opinion.