•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Tick when cold

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 ticks when it's first started but slowly goes away when warms up, I did a search and some say this is caused by warn push rods? This sound right? Just looking for some thoughts on changing just the push rods or ? Thanks for your opinions

JayTee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Where is the ticking sound coming from?

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
It really sounds like it's coming from the top end, and like I said it completely goes away after it warms up, but when it's cold it's really there

ab_slack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
4.0 ticks when it's first started but slowly goes away when warms up, I did a search and some say this is caused by warn push rods? This sound right? Just looking for some thoughts on changing just the push rods or ? Thanks for your opinions
Sounds more like cold push rods rather than warm.

Pushrods will expand with temperature so, if the tick is related valve gap, it changing as it warms up to me would be normal. Maybe a bit off and when warm it is close enough. I really don't know with a 4.0L.

But from description very hard to tell if it is kind of a normal tick or if it is something seriously abnormal.

I've had lots of ticks in the 2.9L of the BIIs I have had. My current BII has a tick at low idle. I don't worry about it cause it is less than I have had before and before they never got worse and were present for most of the vehicles life (maybe the last 100K miles) and weren't related to the end of life factor (body rusting to pieces).

My 2002 Explorer has an idle tick in the 4.6L V8. The shop that put the engine in said "that is normal" at the time. A couple weeks ago, same tick, no change they say "oh that sounds like a problem". This is one example of just why I have come to not trust half of what I am told by people taking my money and have come to the conclusion, out of necessity, I need to learn and do more of this crap myself or with the help of my boyfriend.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
He meant worn push rods. Most likely a lifter that bleeds down and is slow to pump up fully when the oil is thick. Before next oil change, add a quart of ATF. Drive it about an hour, then change the oil. See if that helps.

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Thanks Pete's ponies, I'll try that, I did put a new oil pump in when I did my 4.0 swap last year, would it be worth the money to replace JUST the push rods?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 4X4, 02 2X4
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 4.0 SOHC

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Yes Ed that sounds like what I have going on

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 4X4, 02 2X4
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 4.0 SOHC
Yes Ed that sounds like what I have going on
Well, in my case, I am totally stumped. I hate the idea of just ignoring it and waiting for it to blowup and sitting on the side of the road waiting for my wife to come get me. At the same time I am not ready to tear the engine apart. The engine runs great (better than my 4L SOHC with 40K on it). Full power, good mileage (for a 4L), etc. Once warm it sounds wonderful and runs just great.

It sure as heck does not sound like a valve or lifter. With a dowel, I can hear a light tick at the the exhaust port on #3 and at the exhaust port on # 6 that is in time with the noise. Nothing, however, that sounds like the engine is coming apart. From underneath if is louder; but, with a dowel I cannot isolate it. It does not sound off from the heads or block. The part that is really funny is that it doesn't start right at cold start. It take 30 to 45 seconds to start.

If I had a definite cause, I would open it up and fix it. But, without something to go on I would have to do a complete rebuild on an engine that doesn't use oil, has good power and runs great in all other aspects.

It is driving me nuts. I just don't know what to do (other than just waiting),
Ed

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
So have you flushed the engine to see if there is any change??

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 4X4, 02 2X4
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 4.0 SOHC
So have you flushed the engine to see if there is any change??
I don't want to hijack Shadow's thread. I will answer to support the cause and then lurk. I my case I put a quart of mystery oil in it and drove it for about 25 miles. Then changed the oil. Nothing changed.

Like I said in my thread (linked above) it is louder than any valve train noise I have ever heard. And, the not starting immediately at start up is baffling.

Ed

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Well I know some swear by MMO, but there is not anywhere close to the amount detergents in ATF. I use nothing else, ATF.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I dont know if your is the same as the 93 4.0 but my ticking is a hydraulic lifter sticking. Ive been told.

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Pete's ponies, I did the ATF and the tick is still there but definitely quieter and I'm thinking it's not lasting as long, is this something I could do before each oil change without doing damage?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
The ATF is only cleaning. It is not specifically doing anything to the tick, just cleaning your engine. But these sounds can come from lifters that have gotten gummed up. You need to be real careful here. Add the ATF then get it out soon to get fresh oil in. But let's evaluate your finding. If it is truly better, more cleaning might help. But is it slightly better because the viscosity of the new oil is making the clearance less in regards to worn parts as was explained earlier?? I would drive it some more, few more days. If it seems to gradually be getting worse, then you probably need to change parts ( as the oil breaks down some and thins out, especially after a long run ). If you feel the cleaning really did something, you could try it again, but typically I would expect the cleaning to work or not work.

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
Thanks for the info, I'm thinking after winter I'm going to replace lifters and push rods, this is something I've never done, but I'm thinking with the help of this sight and a few friends I'll get it done, again thanks

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
...you mean it's not suppose to tick?

this is the reason my 92 explorer 2wd is about to get a motor rebuild. Just maintenance basically but it needs lifters.

I've done the ATF thing before... in my case, it wasn't the cleaning that helped. It was just the fresh oil. The next oil change I didn't clean with ATF and got the same result after the oil change. Of course, using a "diesel" oil (Rotella), the inside of our motors are always pretty clean anyway.