•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

ticking

emo666

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Just bought a 1989 2.9 bronco ll--everything works BUT-- it ticks like a valve adjustment. Ran it about 1 hr in hot weather (95) no ticking then after the first stop --it really was a loud rapping at start up--then it gets somewhat quieter on the way home--stop to open gate and let it idle--no tick??? Where do I look and is it a lifter losing prime or??? Other than the ticking it runs good.
Also the prior owner took the air compressor ,hoses, and bracket off and pitched it--leaving the dryer open--is it worth gathering everything back and trying to get it working or is it to expensive???
one more-- is the decal tape still available that separates the two tone paint jobs??

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
the ticking is basically normal more than likely, the 2.9's and 4.0's are known for ticking lifters...

the tape, well... there are several pinstripe tapes still out there. Check your local parts stores

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
2.9 = tick, nature of the beast. Couple oil/filter changes along with a seafoam seems to help for the masses.

Hey 4.OB2 thats a good pic of your truck.

Last edited:

Reds 88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have done the seafoam thing like lima bean mentioned and it helped my tick alot. The thing that helped the most in MY application, was switching oil types. I have been running SAE 30 heavy duty oil and one bottle of stp oil treatment for the past 1 1/2 years. My ticking noise is almost non-existent. You might give it a whirl and see if it helps? Good luck ---RED

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have done the seafoam thing like lima bean mentioned and it helped my tick alot. The thing that helped the most in MY application, was switching oil types. I have been running SAE 30 heavy duty oil and one bottle of stp oil treatment for the past 1 1/2 years. My ticking noise is almost non-existent. You might give it a whirl and see if it helps? Good luck ---RED
All about the brew as Popcorn Sutton would reckon. Dam good to see ya Tennessee...:icon_cheers:

Reds 88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The 'ol 2.9 may have the ticks, but I'll tell ya, they are tougher than a woodpecker's lips. Ford tough.....:icon_thumby: