•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

tire swing gate

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
roof mount

front mount

side mount

swing away.

all good, all work. the individual pro and con are just that....individual.

a stout and proper bumper swinger built with a spindle aint shit to deal with with sane size tires....but is a pia to some extent yet as easy or easier in most cases to use then the oem unit..

i had a temporary one on my truck for a bit and with a 37 on there it sux. but i have a shitty pipe hinge too.

on big trips when i haul all the bikes and shit the spare ends up on the front often or my roof. sometimes i have two on the roof and one out front and the others wherever they will fit as i switch tires when i get to where i am going. just depends on what i am doing.

a guy that drives 55 mph max most of the time wont have too many issue up top i imagine. 70 mph for a 100-200 mile per day commute would pose a problem on the other hand.

what are your needs?

a killer well thought out bumper offers many advantages for sure...extra stowage or being an air tank or both for example....not too mention superior protection.

its up to you....the owner what you do and need.
My whole need thing was to get the stupid flimsy factory tire mount off the vehicle before it takes the back quarter panel and the rear hatch with it. I never knew the rear hatches were fiberglass until I got this B2, that was kind of a stupid idea as well.

Thanks everyone like always awesome information to use.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
That would be useful, and far better than the cheesy factory rear carrier setup. Thanks for the link. Good prices too considering all the fabrication that goes into building one.

I still kind of would like to get a roof rack/basket to store my tools in though. Got to thinking that in the winter if I needed the spare it would probably be completely covered in ice/snow and probably would have to chisel it off the basket LOL.
The big problem with putting anything up on your roof is your center of gravity shifting.

Most people view this as dangerous on the road, but due to the fact my truck is for off-roading, I am more concerned with flipping it offroad and rolling down an embankment or something.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
The big problem with putting anything up on your roof is your center of gravity shifting.

Most people view this as dangerous on the road, but due to the fact my truck is for off-roading, I am more concerned with flipping it offroad and rolling down an embankment or something.
People who view putting a spare tire on top of their SUV causing a major impact on their center of gravity, should probably not be driving an SUV to begin with. An SUV wasn't built to take corners like a sports car. I've seen so many wrecks with SUV's caused by driver error, driving too fast for conditions.

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0
People who view putting a spare tire on top of their SUV causing a major impact on their center of gravity, should probably not be driving an SUV to begin with. An SUV wasn't built to take corners like a sports car. I've seen so many wrecks with SUV's caused by driver error, driving too fast for conditions.
People who dont view an extra 80-100 lbs added to the highest point of an already top heavy vehicle as a major shift in COG defiantly shouldnt be driving an SUV (on-road or off).

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
People who dont view an extra 80-100 lbs added to the highest point of an already top heavy vehicle as a major shift in COG defiantly shouldnt be driving an SUV (on-road or off).
I don't view it as a problem because I know how to drive.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I don't view it as a problem because I know how to drive.
regardless of your or anyone elses abilities, a tire on the roof negatively impacts your off-road performance. And the whole reason i have a truck is offroad capabilities. Dont forget the weight of the basket plus whatever else you add like shovel and jack.... very easy to put 200lbs on the roof...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
regardless of your or anyone elses abilities, a tire on the roof negatively impacts your off-road performance. And the whole reason i have a truck is offroad capabilities. Dont forget the weight of the basket plus whatever else you add like shovel and jack.... very easy to put 200lbs on the roof...
I understand that. But if you know how to drive its not going to be a problem. I worry more about some idiot running into me, pulling out in front of me or tailgating me, I'm not really concerned about rolling over due to driving under the conditions my B2 will be in. The larger problem comes when people put on lift kits, and larger tires/wheels, at stock height putting the tire up there isn't going to make too big of a difference.

However, after looking at the link earlier to those rear bumper/tire mounts I'd rather have that setup than have to climb on something to get the tire down or to get to stuff in the roof box.

Always interesting to see everyone's point of view on here. Great ideas, and criticisms as well. What I don't understand really is why the factory rear spare tire mounting system was like half ass designed, planned and installed. Wonder if anyone has actually lost a tire/mount on the highway due to this horrible design.

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
my tire mount has swung open in a parking lot. Wasnt secured all the way and that insurance secondary notch for the lock didnt hold

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
my tire mount has swung open in a parking lot. Wasnt secured all the way and that insurance secondary notch for the lock didnt hold
That's kind of a bad thing, especially in crowded parking lots where it may swing open and hit another vehicle or even someone walking by.

I'm looking at saving the money up and buying a James Duff rear bumper/tire mount setup. I'm not really sure how much I could put on the roof but after looking at it, I don't think I'd trust putting much weight on the roof.

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
Lucky it was after school one day and i was the last to leave so empty parking lot, but you can sure feel the weight displacement change when that happens. Im also a little skeptical about putting my tire on the roof still. The roof doesn't seem like it can support the weight of the rack the tire and the other 100 pounds of crap i would strap up there. If i did do it i would put a ladder on the side that bolts to the roof and goes down to the frame where i would weld it in place for support.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What I don't understand really is why the factory rear spare tire mounting system was like half ass designed, planned and installed. Wonder if anyone has actually lost a tire/mount on the highway due to this horrible design.
The real problem is this sorta design is all too common for stock SUVs...

Nissan Pathfinders, Toyota 4runners, Chevy s10-blazers... All use very similar designs for their spare tire racks on the back, just to name a few.

Everyone seems to do it, and for street driving its fine. Bigger than stock tires, and rough terrain are what cause problems/breaks shit.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
I understand that. But if you know how to drive its not going to be a problem. I worry more about some idiot running into me, pulling out in front of me or tailgating me, I'm not really concerned about rolling over due to driving under the conditions my B2 will be in. The larger problem comes when people put on lift kits, and larger tires/wheels, at stock height putting the tire up there isn't going to make too big of a difference.

However, after looking at the link earlier to those rear bumper/tire mounts I'd rather have that setup than have to climb on something to get the tire down or to get to stuff in the roof box.

Always interesting to see everyone's point of view on here. Great ideas, and criticisms as well. What I don't understand really is why the factory rear spare tire mounting system was like half ass designed, planned and installed. Wonder if anyone has actually lost a tire/mount on the highway due to this horrible design.

the problem with the b2 was its propensity of the ttb design at that width and wheelbase to cause lever jacking to unload and shift weight around and rapidly so in certain conditions. it was, and is, and always will be a tumbleweed compared to the explorer. it is why the explorer was made.

i have a clear history of not liking the b2 for hiway use by just anybody. its worse then a sami. i have a healthy respect for them. i was very hesitant of letting my children drive them on the road, but all you can do is teach em whats up and why.

i have had several various models of them repeatedly for no reason, spin like a top on slick interstate and seen more then a few head to the srapper after being crumpled up like a can because of that...

i put down some serious miles most years and in the very worst of conditions at that usually in a hurry to get to work, and sometimes even on closed roads.

i am no pro race driver but i dont usually have bad shit like that happen unless i fall asleep or i am over tired. with the b2 its a total surprise in any case wide awake or not. i do think you can do your best with anything, but with a b2 and certain jeeps and similar vehicles you have a even further elevated risk over most suv's that is real.

even driving extra careful they can bite the hell out of experienced drivers.

the current b2 we have is the best winter handling b2 i have ever driven and is a total pos as well. i was shocked by that but i am glad it works like it does. but on dry pavement its not as stellar. of course its not a ttb truck either.

this is just data to help weigh the pro/con of doing shit with this things.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
the problem with the b2 was its propensity of the ttb design at that width and wheelbase to cause lever jacking to unload and shift weight around and rapidly so in certain conditions. it was, and is, and always will be a tumbleweed compared to the explorer. it is why the explorer was made.

i have a clear history of not liking the b2 for hiway use by just anybody. its worse then a sami. i have a healthy respect for them. i was very hesitant of letting my children drive them on the road, but all you can do is teach em whats up and why.

i have had several various models of them repeatedly for no reason, spin like a top on slick interstate and seen more then a few head to the srapper after being crumpled up like a can because of that...

i put down some serious miles most years and in the very worst of conditions at that usually in a hurry to get to work, and sometimes even on closed roads.

i am no pro race driver but i dont usually have bad shit like that happen unless i fall asleep or i am over tired. with the b2 its a total surprise in any case wide awake or not. i do think you can do your best with anything, but with a b2 and certain jeeps and similar vehicles you have a even further elevated risk over most suv's that is real.

even driving extra careful they can bite the hell out of experienced drivers.

the current b2 we have is the best winter handling b2 i have ever driven and is a total pos as well. i was shocked by that but i am glad it works like it does. but on dry pavement its not as stellar. of course its not a ttb truck either.

this is just data to help weigh the pro/con of doing shit with this things.
I've driven several vehicles over the years considered by people to be SUV's by today's standards all of which were severely overloaded up-armored HMMWV's in the military, never once had a problem with rollovers, but seem dozens of them because they put people behind the wheel that don't understand the physics behind driving an overloaded top heavy vehicle at high rates of speed while trying to maneuver around other vehicles, obstacles, potential bombs, etc.

The B2 is a short wheel base, and narrow as well, its like driving a side by side all terrain vehicle offroad, and on the road for that matter. At stock height the B2 isn't bad, after people add lifts and larger tires then that's when a lot more problems happen. I must be one of the few lucky B2 owners to have a B2 with front and rear stabilizer bars, which help considerably on the highway. I had a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well and it also had the stabilizer bars on it, it handled some pretty hard curves at higher rates of speed than you would even think about doing in an SUV normally. Then I had a 94 Toyota 4Runner that I swear you never had to worry about taking corners at any speed because it was a slow pile of crap to begin with.

Its amazing the number of wrecks I see just because people think they're invincible driving their SUV, and when winter hits they think that the 4WD makes them GOD. They're also the first people I see sliding off the highway into the ditch, flipping over, all while trying to pass someone who's driving slower to avoid the same outcome.

The worst vehicle I've ever driven in bad weather conditions was a 1984 Chevy K5 Blazer (Military CUCV), they came factory equipped with front and rear detroit lockers, they do some crazy ass shit on ice and if you blink you are doing 360's in the middle of the road, and there isn't a damn thing you can do to stop it either. Don't get me wrong that damn Blazer would go anywhere you wanted to go, but just don't use the 4WD on ice without prior knowledge of what happens LOL.

The B2 is like driving a box down the road, you get a side wind and it feels like you are going to flip over sometimes. Never felt like that in any jeep I've ever been in, but then again the Jeep Cherokee's are wider and longer LOL.

The explorers weren't really that much different, look at all the rollovers in explorers LOL. Just inexperienced drivers for the biggest share of those accidents, and don't let the whole Firestone tire blow out BS be an excuse. I've had many blow outs and I've never felt the urge to flip my vehicles over because of it LOL. However I guess that would make changing the tire easier, maybe that was the logic behind the rollovers. :icon_rofl:

Anyhow, I completely understand and agree with your statements. You put the wrong person behind the wheel and these things go over onto their tops like nothing. I know when its really windy I will slow down just because of the liability of these things liking to flip over easily. Can't imagine how bad it would be trying to drive one with a lift and larger tires, the stock form is not exactly the most stable platform, but at the same time, if you treat it correctly there won't be a problem.

I like the B2, there's absolutely no electronics left in it now, its fairly easy to work on (meaning no computer crap to deal with), everything in it is manual so I don't have to worry about windows not working, door locks not working, etc. If something fails on it I can repair it myself and not have to rely on an outrageous cost of having a shop do the repairs. Its still 4WD, but its small enough to easily park and maneuver in cramped areas, where as my full size truck just isn't so cooperative. The B2 is what it is, and there are getting to be fewer and fewer of them around.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
Does anyone have a first generation B2 and still have the swing away tire mount they could post a picture of how the tire is secured to the mount. The ones I keep finding pictures of are different than mine. Mine just has what looks to be about a 1/4" x 6" thumb screw with a 7/16" washer and nut on the end of it that goes through the tire to hold it on the mount. The ones I find pictures of actually have a makeshift hub with 3 studs which you mount the tire on then use standard lug nuts to secure the tire.

BabyBronco89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
That's how my 2nd gen swing rack is, as far as the capacity of the roof holding weight, as long as its propotio. Evenly it will hold a lot, I once had about 20 4x8 sheets of 1/2inch OSB on the roof sucered with rachet straps, it bottomed my allready saggy rear leafs out, and it was only 3 miles to home, but the stock roof rack held it all with no problem, I think the stocksticker says do not exceed 50-100lbs lol it's good for about 5-10xs that lol

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
I'm gonna see if I can find a different rack, I don't like a 1/4" bolt holding a tire on the rack. As for those roof racks yes they can hold more than what they are rated for, but you may also cause some roof damage if you aren't careful. They're rated like they are to keep most people from piling their house on top of their car and flipping the vehicle over on the highway.

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
If you can wait till tomorrow after noon I should have both swing arms out back I snap a few pics of n
Both

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Ok, I am totally into the James Duff bumper rack, but how hard it is to remove the stock tire rack and get the vehicle to look like it was never there? I have no welding experience what so ever, (Hey I'm 15 building my first vehicle, cant know everything now, can i?) Any hints or tips are greatly appreciated

arizonadirtslinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
There is also the option of mounding the spare on the front safari style I have a homemade push bumper ( picked it and the bumper out of the junkyard for 20 bucks ) looks like all you would need is one of those universal 3 lug mounts and some welding experience