•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

tire swing gate

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
You can, it's not that bad, and I have seen 1 Interior mounted tire carrier in a broncoii
Might have been a bracket from a ranger, other than that I've never seen a bronco 2 with an interior spare tire mount. Never said they didn't exist, never seen one and I've seen a lot of bronco 2's over the years and they either didn't have a spare tire at all or they had it on the rear swing mount which is garbage unless every road you drive on is perfectly smooth LOL.

I think I'm going to go with a roof rack eventually, and mount mine up there and remove the carrier completely on the back.

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
Might have been a bracket from a ranger, other than that I've never seen a bronco 2 with an interior spare tire mount. Never said they didn't exist, never seen one and I've seen a lot of bronco 2's over the years and they either didn't have a spare tire at all or they had it on the rear swing mount which is garbage unless every road you drive on is perfectly smooth LOL.

I think I'm going to go with a roof rack eventually, and mount mine up there and remove the carrier completely on the back.
They are useless and no matter how you rig up some added interior hatch support the swing catch will always break though the hatch sooner or later. I'm doing a roof rack to once I can get the money then again I may buy or build one of the bumper tire carriers that James duff sales, haven't decided yet. Still have to mount the rails on my b2 that weren't a factory option in 84

snoranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
All 10 are Ford
Engine Size
4.0,5.0,4BT,4.0

They all came stock with a spare tire.

Here, now you cant say you've never seen one with an interior tire carrier:

The only problem with the tire on the roof is all that extra weight up high raises the center of gravity. You would be better off building a good bumper mount/ swing away.

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
The only problem with the tire on the roof is all that extra weight up high raises the center of gravity. You would be better off building a good bumper mount/ swing away.
That's what I'm afraid of, having an additional 60-100 pounds that high:sad:

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The stock swing out is obviously not designed to carry a large tire, but at least it does give you a place to carry a spare, I know I've had to use mine. It's only a 215, but I just consider it my "donut" spare so I can at least limp it somewhere. It is a good option for those who lack the fab skills and can't afford to have somebody build one...

:icon_cheers:
B2

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
The stock swing out is obviously not designed to carry a large tire, but at least it does give you a place to carry a spare, I know I've had to use mine. It's only a 215, but I just consider it my "donut" spare so I can at least limp it somewhere. It is a good option for those who lack the fab skills and can't afford to have somebody build one...

B2
Its a good option IF ITS ALREADY THERE. To spend the effort to try to install one, just for it to break something anyways, is a bit silly.

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Its a good option IF ITS ALREADY THERE. To spend the effort to try to install one, just for it to break something anyways, is a bit silly.
I spent the effort and installed mine, 6 years and one saved tow bill later, it still hasn't broken anything. I don't think of it as silly...

B2

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
Ive removed mine for now, ive gone through three hatches. One from a girl rearending me and shoving the latch thought the fiber glass and the other two from people backing in to it in parking lots doing the same thing

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F

With what my B2 is used for the center of gravity by having a spare tire on the roof won't make any difference. I don't try to drive it like its a sports car, so I won't have a problem with a tire on the roof.

Hmm, wonder what that tire mount would attach to on the inside? Looks like an eddie bauer edition from the looks of the interior. That looks like possibly a temporary spare though, not good with a 4WD vehicle.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
My '84 BII is a base model. Nothing fancy inside at all. It had the bracket to mount the spare. They all came with spares and they all had a mount for them. It had to mount in some place. They didn't just throw it in the car you know.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F

They come from the factory with a spare tire, duh, but what the owner(s) do with them in the mean time is unknown, and for the most part people don't carry a spare tire where I live, heaven forbid they actually had to work on their vehicle if it broke down, nope instead they call a wrecker.

With the uses of my B2 having a spare tire on the roof isn't going to change its operational characteristics, when driven properly having a spare tire on the roof isn't going to make a difference. Its when people try to drive a narrow, short wheel based vehicle like a sports car that they end up flipping them over.

I can already see the damage starting from that rear tire carrier just having the spare tire mounted on it the past few months. Its definitely time for a change of tire location, and the new tires I will be getting are going to be lighter too, so that will help.

Can't decide really though if I want to mount the tire on the roof, or if I want to buy the equipment and materials to build a bumper with a built in tire rack. I kind of like the roof idea because its up top completely out of the way for rear hatch access, you don't have to worry about it when towing either, as some trailer tongues are slightly short and in a sharp turn you may be wishing that tire wasn't back there. Just makes more sense to me having it on the roof out of the way, because in reality how often are you going to need that tire?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
What I was referring to Bill . . was this fluey . . .

Not all B2's w/out a rack have an inside mount, mine came stock w/out a tire carrier whatsoever...

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
What I was referring to Bill . . was this fluey . . .
I'm not gonna argue the fact that my B2 does not have any mount whatsoever inside, nor does it have any evidence that there were ever any brackets that may have been removed... Petty?? I think so too...

B2

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
That tire mounting location is exactly the same as the jeep cherokee/grand cherokee. The B2's I've seen have either had the spare tire on the carrier on the back, or just the tire thrown in the back. Makes me want to go to the pick-a-part and see if I can find that inside carrier bracket assembly, would make a lot more sense than the cheesy tire on that crappy rear carrier idea. It would take up some cargo space though, which is why my idea of the roof rack was making more sense.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
no tire gate has a space saver mount inside on the ones i have owned.

if it did not have an outside mount as delivered from the oem.

IT HAD AN INSIDE MOUNT with a space saver.

it is a simple deal that holds the jack/and handle with the tire. i have owned them...quite simple setup.

the reason i say this is there was no spare delete option that i have seen on anything since the 70's on domestic till runflats came out.

could it be possible one of the ponies escaped the corral without any sort of spare tire setup......

mmmmm.....errrrrr.......uhhhhhhh:icon_confused:

yup. i do think it is possible.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
That tire mounting location is exactly the same as the jeep cherokee/grand cherokee. The B2's I've seen have either had the spare tire on the carrier on the back, or just the tire thrown in the back. Makes me want to go to the pick-a-part and see if I can find that inside carrier bracket assembly, would make a lot more sense than the cheesy tire on that crappy rear carrier idea. It would take up some cargo space though, which is why my idea of the roof rack was making more sense.
a regular tire dont fit well in there.....235 anyway.

a good bumper and swing is ideal imo....but thats an opinion....:thefinger:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
a regular tire dont fit well in there.....235 anyway.

a good bumper and swing is ideal imo....but thats an opinion....:thefinger:
Exactly, the tires that were sent out in that location were temporary spares, not exactly a great idea on a 4WD vehicle.

Anyhow, the bumper with a swing mount is ok, but I've got to the point where I hate that stupid mount on the back, you have to move it everytime you need to get in the back cargo area. If it was mounted on the roof it would be out of the way. How often do you access the back of an SUV? How often do you use the spare tire? Makes more sense for that tire to be completely out of the way to me. I've seen the offroad bumpers with the spare tire rack and fuel can rack on them and they look nice, but then you have that stuff in the way all the time.

It really is a toss-up though between putting a rack on the roof, and putting the tire up there, or building a rear bumper. At the rate my B2 is going right now probably neither, it may end up in the recycle bin before anything else. :sad: I bought it with hopes of having time to work on it, but that's not happening, and when I will have time to work on it, its too damn cold outside.

The rear stock bumper is kind of pointless with that spare tire on the back, an aftermarket (home built) rear bumper would make tons more sense, if there was a way to get the spare tire out of the way so the bumper could do its job rather than cars hitting the tire and shoving the tire/mount through the rear hatch.

Anyone have pics of one of those custom bumpers? How about mounting the spare tire on the front like some of the older trucks had :icon_confused:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
roof mount

front mount

side mount

swing away.

all good, all work. the individual pro and con are just that....individual.

a stout and proper bumper swinger built with a spindle aint shit to deal with with sane size tires....but is a pia to some extent yet as easy or easier in most cases to use then the oem unit..

i had a temporary one on my truck for a bit and with a 37 on there it sux. but i have a shitty pipe hinge too.

on big trips when i haul all the bikes and shit the spare ends up on the front often or my roof. sometimes i have two on the roof and one out front and the others wherever they will fit as i switch tires when i get to where i am going. just depends on what i am doing.

a guy that drives 55 mph max most of the time wont have too many issue up top i imagine. 70 mph for a 100-200 mile per day commute would pose a problem on the other hand.

what are your needs?

a killer well thought out bumper offers many advantages for sure...extra stowage or being an air tank or both for example....not too mention superior protection.

its up to you....the owner what you do and need.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
That would be useful, and far better than the cheesy factory rear carrier setup. Thanks for the link. Good prices too considering all the fabrication that goes into building one.

I still kind of would like to get a roof rack/basket to store my tools in though. Got to thinking that in the winter if I needed the spare it would probably be completely covered in ice/snow and probably would have to chisel it off the basket LOL.