•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

tire swing gate

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Vehicle
fords and only
I am in the process of putting on a tire swing gate on a b2 that never had one on it. Does any one have any ideas of beefing up the rear area that the gate would bolt to. Keep in mind that I do not have a mig welder. Any help would be great.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I had a friend in high school who did this. I asked him what he did and told me he cut out the top corner of the fender and welded some bracing in there.

He also said he couldn't close it the whole way without denting the tailgate because the Ranger gate contours stick out farther than the BII lift gates. But he had the silver insert on the gate. If you don't have that it might fit better.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Do you mean a stock tire carrier, off another B2?

Without a welder, I dont think there is much that can be done to reinforce your back corner - at least nothing that will last long term.

Also, those tire carriers just bounce all around and brake shit offroad... So unless this is a street only vehicle I would advise against one. The only real option (especially for a larger-than-stock tire) is to build something that comes off the bumper.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Vehicle
fords and only
My 88 bronco two never had a swing gate on it. My b2 is more street but some wheeling. Only a 31 inch tire for a spare. And no braces or brackets inside the car. Or behind the sheet metal. I can get a hold of the bracket that belongs inside the sheet metal.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hmm, I think I mis-read the original post. I though we were trying to put a BII tire carrier on a Ranger.

Cutting will be involved because there is a cutout above the RH tail light for the bracket that isn't there on the non-carrier units.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
A 31 has potential to rip the whole tire carrier off, trashing both your back corner and the lift gate.

Drive behind someone with a stock-sized tire on their carrier while offroad. It bounces all over the place... Keep in mind, all that keeps it from bouncing upwards is the back corner, and all that stops it from bouncing downwards is a small bracket sticking off your gate.(And a small spring-loaded handle to "lock it" in place.)

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
My 84 B2 has that rear tire carrier, I have my spare on it because I hate having them in the cab of an SUV especially since there's no mounting location for it. That rear tire carrier is far from a secure tire carrying device. Even on the road it will make noise vibrate around, etc. As far as reinforcing the mounting locations, I think a lot of cutting and welding would be involved. Also, it will rub the paint off the lift gate as well eventually where the bottom rubber pad contacts the lift gate.

I haven't personally seen anyone modify theirs to make them more secure but I'm sure it can and has been done.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
A 31 has potential to rip the whole tire carrier off, trashing both your back corner and the lift gate.

Drive behind someone with a stock-sized tire on their carrier while offroad. It bounces all over the place... Keep in mind, all that keeps it from bouncing upwards is the back corner, and all that stops it from bouncing downwards is a small bracket sticking off your gate.(And a small spring-loaded handle to "lock it" in place.)
My 84 B2 has that rear tire carrier, I have my spare on it because I hate having them in the cab of an SUV especially since there's no mounting location for it. That rear tire carrier is far from a secure tire carrying device. Even on the road it will make noise vibrate around, etc. As far as reinforcing the mounting locations, I think a lot of cutting and welding would be involved. Also, it will rub the paint off the lift gate as well eventually where the bottom rubber pad contacts the lift gate.

I haven't personally seen anyone modify theirs to make them more secure but I'm sure it can and has been done.

building your own is the best thing to do.

it starts with a real bumper.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Roof rack could be another option...that's what I'd like to do. I have a rear tire gate, holds my 31" spare. I've never had any problems with rattling or npise offroad, and it seems to be solid enough, but I hate that the tire takes up so much of my view in the mirror.
Plus I think a built b2 looks sweet with a good roof rack :D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
with small tires the roof aint so bad. 31 is pretty light.

i fawked up my back bad so i cant be throwing my 42's around anymore....the 37's in my custom steels actually weigh almost the same...my spare 37 is in an aluminum rim and is 17 pounds lighter at least.

we run 33's and 36's on the b2 and i dont even keep a spare in that, when i do its a 235 if i leave town in it. the rear is spooled so it would be a switch o rama with a rear flat.

i have been thinking of a custom receiver assembly that allows multi positions for the spare so mady can haul two dirtbikes with it if sh has to. if i put a bench in it she could haul lil bobs bike too so they can go to the track. its a half cab so two seats sux.

with its lil half cab bed you cant really fit a spare 36 anyway...maybe a 33. so i have to do something.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
WildBill . . what do you mean there is no mounting place for the spare tire inside the BII ??

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
no tire gate has a space saver mount inside on the ones i have owned.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Vehicle
fords and only
Well I am kind of building a stock modify truck. I want to go with what they might have built an 80s bronco ii like. Did they have built up bumpers back then?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
BIGGER
yeah, there were some cheesy tube bumper offerings.

but making a real stout bumper and tire holder that looks like it should be there is pretty simple really.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
They do not have a factory mount for the spare tire inside the bronco 2 as far as I know. I've never seen one, people just throw the tire in the back and call it good if they don't have the rear mount tire carrier. The B2's cargo area is already small, throw in a full size tire and you lose even more area, and if you actually have people sitting in the back seat your spare tire took up the rest of your cargo space. You definitely do not want that tire just sitting in the back of your vehicle, you get in a wreck that tire will make a great knock out device flying through your truck. The spare tire mount on the back outside I wouldn't trust it too much either. I'm thinking about buying a roof rack to put my tire up there and take the stupid tire carrier off the back before it breaks off, I think its aluminum so it would make for a nice amount of recyclable material LOL. I like the roof rack idea, plus if I ever find a deal on one and a roof storage box I'll do that, it makes more sense on an SUV than the tire carrier on the back in the way that you have to open before you can access the rear hatch, and if you aren't parked exactly level that tire carrier can swing back and hit you pretty good if there's a tire on it, trust me it hurts getting hit with one.

I plan on putting 215's on my B2 here this summer or fall so the tire weight will be even less than what it is now, and I don't trust that rear tire rack at all, not to mention the noise on rough roads. Oh, I also noticed that it creates a clearance problem with my trailer so the tire has got to go if I ever get the chance to go camping and take my travel trailer.

Building a carrier would be OK, if it wasn't for not having the equipment to do so, and I've seen some really nice home-built bumpers, tire carriers, and fuel can holder setups, especially for the offroad groups.

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
Wild Bill, the point is . . they absolutely do have a tire mount inside the BII. If there was no exterior mount, do you really think Ford just threw a spare in there to bounce around ? :) Maybe, for some reason, someone removed yours?? But they were there, on the left side.

B2 Addict

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Wild Bill, the point is . . they absolutely do have a tire mount inside the BII. If there was no exterior mount, do you really think Ford just threw a spare in there to bounce around ? :) Maybe, for some reason, someone removed yours?? But they were there, on the left side.
Not all B2's w/out a rack have an inside mount, mine came stock w/out a tire carrier whatsoever...

I ended up mounting the swinging tire carrier on mine because I had a parts B2 that I could get the carrier and the hatch from. It is quite a pain to do, you have to remove the inside interior panel and cut a hole to gain access where the carrier bolts to the quarter panel. There is not much room to cut an access, so it is quite a pain to get your hand in there to do anything... We used steel plates behind the quarter panel where the carrier bolts up for reinforcement...

Most of the rattling comes from where the handle locks down on the hatch bracket, all you have to do is use a small piece of hose or something and either zip tie it or even duct tape it in place to quiet it down. I am running 36's but only carry a 215 on my carrier for emergencies, I did carry a 31, but it limits your rear view too much for me.

By the way, the hatch for a tire carrier has a cut out for the top mounting bracket, without looking, I'm not sure if you can replicate that on a non carrier equipped hatch or not...

:icon_cheers:
B2

Last edited:

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
You can, it's not that bad, and I have seen 1 Interior mounted tire carrier in a broncoii