•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

To chop or not to chop?

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I recently bought this Bronco in Pacifica, and it's got major rust on and around the drip rails due to a crappy paint job. Here is a link to my pics: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2644991/5

I was going to repair everything with fiberglass, and I think it's all do-able, but now I really just want to chop it.

Being on a budget, I am wondering how much I would likely spend having a cage made for it, were I to chop the top. I live in the East Bay, California, does anyone know a reputable shop? Or does anyone want to do a side job?
Or should I just save my money and do some massive fiberglass patching?
Thanks!
:beer:

351ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 B2 Dana 44
If you plan on chopping the top like most people do you will still have the rust that is there over the drivers door.

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I am planning on patching that with fiberglass. If I chop the back off, there will just be a lot less holes to worry about.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Now when you say patch with fiberglass....

Would that be this?

Or this:

ZMan

TOTM Coordinator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford,Jeep
Engine Size
4.0l,3.0l (soon to be 302),5.2l
just fix it with a welder and metal like I did, it'll probably last a hell of a lot longer.

As for the chop, do it! Chops are cool, but they take away pretty much all of the structural integrity of the body.

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i like the chop looked better, the body flexes alot though, i havent made a cage yet but i cant do rock crawling until i do which kind of sucks. so dont chop it unless you only go mudding or you are ready to cage it.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Once you chop the top, your body will fall apart pretty quick.

I'd say don't drive at all if you have a chop top without a cage. Any type of rollover will smash the cab like a tin can, leaving you dead our without the use of your legs and arms for the rest of your life.

Last edited:

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well, I chopped it! And I'm going to buy a basic welder to weld in some metal to fix the roof instead of fiberglassing it. Until I get a cage for it I won't be using it except for just driving around town, anyone know of a good shop in the bay area that can build me a cage for a reasonable price? Does anyone have an idea of what I should expect to pay for a cage?

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Wow, lots of good advice, thanks guys! Im looking at the Lincoln Weld Pak 3200HD from Home Depot, I need to clean out my garage to make some room for it. Ill get some picks up soon!

Just wondering, how many total hours of work does everyone have in their rigs? I bought my current Bronco II about a month ago, I bought it because it already had a 4.0 swap, and since then I have probably put in at least 100 hours swapping in a used Skyjacker 6" kit, D35 front end, 8.8 disc rear with front and rear posi's and 4.10's. Ive also swapped the transmission, and put in a different set of seats. I did everything but the tranny swap by myself while my parents were in Japan!

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Hours spent? I measure mine in months:icon_thumby:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
I have thousands of hours into my truck.

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Picked up a mig welder yesterday. Found a local shop that does tube bending, Im going to have them bend me some hoops for the cage so I can weld them in and make all the supports. With all of my rust damage Im thinking of chopping the top the rest of the way like an early Bronco, has anyone done this?

ZMan

TOTM Coordinator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford,Jeep
Engine Size
4.0l,3.0l (soon to be 302),5.2l
Picked up a mig welder yesterday. Found a local shop that does tube bending, Im going to have them bend me some hoops for the cage so I can weld them in and make all the supports. With all of my rust damage Im thinking of chopping the top the rest of the way like an early Bronco, has anyone done this?
ya its been done, really sucks when it rains.

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Luckily it's in a garage for now, and once the metal work is all done I want to get a vinyl top made, or maybe make on myself. Has anyone seen a write-up on making vinyl tops?