•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Tonto's Build Thread

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
So, did you end up dropping motor with tranny to get dimensions or just eyeball it? My 2" body lift showed up yesterday so I'll at least have that going for me. Couldn't bring myself to run a 3".... Hopefully I'll get a hold of an Ex Rad this week, do the BL and be ready to drop in test fitment this weekend. Also, are you running the Duraspark Ignition?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
When we get done, we should attempt to meet up at this "Browns Camp". Looks like a blast!

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
So, did you end up dropping motor with tranny to get dimensions or just eyeball it? My 2" body lift showed up yesterday so I'll at least have that going for me. Couldn't bring myself to run a 3".... Hopefully I'll get a hold of an Ex Rad this week, do the BL and be ready to drop in test fitment this weekend. Also, are you running the Duraspark Ignition?

Yeah I pretty much eyeballed it. I mounted the plates, bolted them on, then set the engine in, I put paint on the motor mount studs and set it down. It made the marks on the plates. I pulled the plates off and drilled them. Having a 2" body lift will help a lot. I will probably run duraspark. I like the idea of using off the shelf parts.

Yeah we should definitely meet up at Browns camp!

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
We should!

Any idea if the tech article regarding the V8 swap with duraspark is true as far as it just plugging in? I found a plug that the ign box did plug into, tested for voltage with key cycles. Seems legit, just wondering if it really is true.

Almost ordered the 88400 headers today.... Looks like your motor has the same manifolds mine does. Are you even going to attempt to run them or what's your plan?

Thanks for the tips with the mounts. Probably build them this weekend if time allows.

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Here's some pictures of the parts that have recently showed up! Better than Christmas!

Got the shifter for $15 on CL!

Last edited:

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
15 bucks for that shifter? Wow!

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Yeah! Came with everything, too. It's a Mega Shifter! All the brackets, cable and boot! Awesome find.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Damn thats a great deal!

As far as Duraspark plugging into the Ranger harness I have no idea. It seems like it could, but it doesn't state what year though.

Those headers are pretty cheap, think they will work?

Is that alternator for the stock fead?

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Yeah, stock fead. Single wire.

You mean as far as quality goes on the headers? I'm all about inexpensive, but it's gotta work. If they will work for the swap, I may just run them for now.

I plan to get myself another motor and do a complete rebuild with the next couple of years, so that would be where a lot more money will be invested. Right now, I just want to put this thing back on the trail without going broke....

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I meant pricewise the headers were cheap. I will keep them in mind when I get to that point. I think I will upgrade my 351w before I start to drive it. I expect to be finished in approx 6 months. I am not really in a hurry.

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
That's good. I wish I wasn't in a hurry. I'm supposed to be moving (and downsizing) here in a few months so I need to attempt to be as speedy as possible. Will yours be a DR?

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Update: I figured out my fuel lines! I did not snap any pics of the process, but it's pretty straight forward.

So, fuel lines. Right. Obviously, going from a fuel injected system to a carburetor is not near as much of a pain as the other way around, but there are some hills to tackle. The factory fuel lines on my 88' are the hard, nylon kind and all the connections throughout the lines are those funky Ford ones. My plan was to delete the High Pressure pump and retain the in tank pump to use as a lifter pump. So, basically I had to figure out how to convert the hard lines to regular fuel line. I did this by taking out the fuel filter (which shares same quick connections as pump) then removed the HP pump from the frame rail which left the line that ran straight to the tank.

I dismantled the little housing for the HP pump and took it completely out. I then took the foam padding originally surrounding the pump and fitted around the much fatter and shorter fuel filter. Plan was to fix the filter into the fuel pump housing, utilize the factory fuel line connection to the filter and side and clamp regular fuel line to the other end of the filter. With some slight bending and only using 2 of the 3 bolts for the pump housing, I achieved brilliance! Zip tied foam pad around filter, squeezed it into the bracket and was able to go from a hard line to a soft one.

I used 5/16 fuel line which was just large enough to get all the way onto the filter "barb" with 2 small hose clamps. As for the return line, I cut the factory line to a desired length, heated it up slightly WITH A HEAT GUN and inserted a 1/4" double barb fitting. Then I took a length of 1/4" fuel line and attached to a second fuel filter with 2 fittings- one being a return line.

Though I haven't tested yet, in theory it should work beautifully!

If any concerns with it, please let me know before I drop my motor in, OK? Lol

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
It was supposed to say DD, as in daily driver.

I will snap pics of fancy fuel lines over the course of the body lift tomorrow.

tsi617

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Summit and jegs both sell an to factory snap style fuel connectors.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
That probably would have been easier....

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Got some work done on Saturday! Man, is it a tight fit.... Gonna have to get creative with the heater..... Not even sure a non AC box will fit.... But, did the Body Lift and got motor in! Here's some pics.

Had to take tires off wheels for room. Forgot that I have different axles than most with this swap.... Made for an interesting day...

Made the 1/4" plate mounts to see the motor as low as possible. Had to shim the drivers side up about a half inch so it sat level. I wanted to put the motor as far forward as possible to help with rear driveshaft angle, but the oil pan only let me move it so far.... Needless to say, my driveshaft angle isn't looking so hot...

Transfer case is in as well.... Not as good as a fitment as I was hoping for. It wants to sit just inside the frame rail.... I don't need to notch the frame, just need to move some fuel lines and wires.... Still not what I wanted to do.

Factory transmission mount/crossmember is literally just over an inch off! I still think I'll need to build my own, but pretty cool it almost lined up!

Exhaust- Oddly, I ended up with room for factory manifold on drivers side but passenger side shot straight to the frame rail.... I believe hedman 88400 headers will work perfectly and plan on ordering them today!

More pics to come. Worked on rig for 16 hours and was flat beat on Sunday....

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L

Got my wires and air cleaner! Put it all on last night. Still need to install fead, mount transmission, finish fuel lines and build exhaust....

I had originally planned to just run some regular 5/16 fuel line from factory lines but ran out of room with the tcase as it sets JUST inside the frame rail. Going to re-route them from the tank to the motor on the top of the inside frame rail. With will give plenty space! Also, the factory gaurd for HP fuel pump is sticking out like a sore thumb and will interfere with front drive shaft.... Man this is a tight squeeze!

My motor seems to be positioned a little different from most I have seen but I think it's because it's just the bigger 351.

On a good note, 88400 headers are on their way and I think they are going to work out beautifully! I also ordered a 2-1 IMCO muffler from Summit. Apparently they give excellent sound at a reasonable cost. I only want to run a single outlet for simplicity reasons but still want everyone to know I've got a V8 under the little guy!

So, anyone know how one wires up the Duraspark Ignition to the RBV's?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Damn its coming along fast! You'll be done soon.

Your engine looks so clean compared to mine lol. I'm wondering how those headers will work. I hope they work without any serious mods. Looking good though!

BronKitis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Thanks man! I made it my goal to be done ASAP! I want it done right, but JUST right, ya know? Kind of a trial and error thing. But, total time is cresting 30 hours and that includes the day of pulling everything from the donor. Not the cleanest or nicest swap you'll see here, but it will work.

I only decreased the motor, painted the covers and oil pan and threw it in! There's still some sludge and slime on the block and what not ;-) Pics just look better than in person.