•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Tony Raine's Bronco II

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Finally got power run out to my shed, that is going to make things much easier.

today I did some more prep work to the rigs for the engine swap.

On the bronco i took the exhaust manifolds back of and bolted up my block off kit. going to bolt on the chains for the engine hoist soon.

On the F150 I removed the radiator, shroud, and fan. also disconnected the power steering, trans, and a/c hoses, and cruise and throttle cables.

Buddy of mine is hinting at selling his 38x12.5 TSL's, and I am reeeeaaaallllyyyy tempted.

I am also thinking about chaining an engine hoist to the back of my trailer, and using that to pull the motors. should be interesting.

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
not much to update. got some 35's. not in the best of shape, treads don't match, but they were cheap. something to sit on instead of the stock tires, and help me decide what the final tire size will be

i'll have to do a little cutting to accommodate the wheelbase stretch, but that was expected

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Looks good so far, keep it up!

SVT

jesse93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
...im tired, i read all 13 pages. great build!!

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Looks good so far, keep it up!

SVT
Thanks!

...im tired, i read all 13 pages. great build!!
Wow :icon_surprised:

I tried reading my whole build thread once. It looked indecisive and scatterbrained :D

It wasn't that long ago I was scared to swap in a Dana 35 TTB when the Dana 28 died. Now the body and frame are the only 84 BII parts left....

Thanks for the compliment :icon_thumby:

prerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Great build, man. Nice to see the progression from building it with the D-35 to the FW 44. Also cool to see you with that truck as a kid.
Subscribed. :icon_thumby:

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Suzuki,Inf
Engine Size
love the build, whats your intended use for this thing when your done?

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks everyone. Not much to update, right now most of my spare time is spent building a privacy fence in my backyard. Got about 300 feet done, about 250 more feet to go

My intended use is a little bit of everything. Bad weather, fishing, camping, mild to moderate trail riding, and i may drive it to work 1 or 2 days a week.

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Did a little work last sunday

About to pull the motor from the F150

Last edited:

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
today's progress

TechInTheMaking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Awesome build man! I just read all 13 pages I am buying a 88' bronco II with 2.9l tomorrow for $400(it even runs and drives but a lot of rewiring i have to do in it) im stoked about it my poor ranger is starting to knock a little. Your build rocks bro.

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks! I hope your new project goes well.

A little update, the F150 motor is in. Had to switch over to the old exhaust manifolds, but the oil pan clears.

Transmission is not in. Turns out the old style pressure plate does not line up with the 94 f150 flywheel. Need to do some research to see what i need to do next.

I have pics, just havent gotten them off my phone yet.

buck119fa

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Great info and cool build. keep up the posts i'm hooked on this one now.

buell-eyed-devil

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
FORD
Engine Size
5.0-C4 in process
Similar to my current project...84 Bronco 2 v6 c5 auto. A buddy gave it to me instead of sending to the shredder. Replaced c5 guts with a hopped up c4 and replaced v6 with an 85 302 that was also a freebie. I am using block hugger headers from summit. Will post when its done

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well, the FI experiment was a failure. Friday afternoon i finished hooking up the wiring, and tried to get the motor to crank. Starter wouldnt spin, and the computer was beeping codes at me. Weighed my options and decided to go back to carb.

So saturday i removed the f150 wiring harness, and put the b2 harness back in. I also removed the intake, and put the carb intake from my old motor on top. Currently price shopping the next parts to get.

I am saving the FI harness and parts, i may want to tinker with it again someday.

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
well, after a long break from the internet........... i haven't made much progress. life got busy, and the projects got the back-burner treatment.

the '94 5.0 is in. used a '94 manual trans flywheel and clutch with the older bellhousing that was on the np435. i really hope a stock starter will work with this configuration.

that, and i need to figure out how to get a hydraulic clutch of some kind to work with the old linkage-type bellhousing.

lots of research in my future, but its too dang cold to work on it right now anyway

i did pick up a factory ford aluminum 4 barrel intake from an early 80's mustang for $60

also got a holley 4 barrel for free (think its a 600 or 650), that had an ear broken off the bottom plate. if i can't braze or sil-fos it, i'll just find another plate.

still stripping the f150 for parts to sell/keep. almost time for the rest to go to the scrapper.

hoping to get some work done on it this spring/summer. really getting tired of having a cool rig half-put-together sitting in the back yard.

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
351w
ive seen,(and done it myself) people have used fj slave cylendars bolted to a piece of angle iron mounted to the bellhousing bolts to disengauge the clutch on the old style trans

Tony Raine

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
ive seen,(and done it myself) people have used fj slave cylendars bolted to a piece of angle iron mounted to the bellhousing bolts to disengauge the clutch on the old style trans
I am intrigued, please tell me more! Have any pics? What model of fj? Does it hook up to the ford hydraulic line?

merch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
351w
I dont have any pics but you can do a little research on older fjs and see the slave cylender,its a side bolt on to the bell houseing,just bolt it to a pice of angle and bolt the angle to the bell housing with the bolts to the block and bam! Its doen.you may or may not have to lengthen the plunger arm depending on how long the throw is on your clutch fork

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2