•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

too hot

Gabe8810

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
I had just bought an 88 bronco II and my temp gauge keeps climbing. The guy just replaced the heads on it too. The system has pressurein it and i thought it was the thermostate but that seems to be opening fine(hose hard for while then gets soft meaning it opened). I checked the oil but there is no white color to it, oil seems fine. What are other things that could cause this. He also said it never over heated on him ether.

HELP PLEASE. :dunno:

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
your sending unit is probly going bad. get a new one or get a auto meeter guage. more reliable

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
about how high does it go up, almost just sounds like its a bit low on coolant, and he might have a higher thermostat then ur used to in it

Gabe8810

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
the system ic completly full. But another thing when it climbs in temp antifreeze starts to flow into the overflow tank a little quick. Could this be Bad?

Gabe8810

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
about how high does it go up, almost just sounds like its a bit low on coolant, and he might have a higher thermostat then ur used to in it
it goes up to the top of the normal range and it steps into the danger zone ever so often but stays in the highest normal range.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
Heads are expensive enough, repair is difficult enough, mixed with the 2.9Ls known head cracking issue, IMO, it would be worth it to verify what temperature the engine is REALLY running at. The stock gauge isn't very accurate, and not very useful.

How long does it take to "overheat"?

Are your radiator fins clean and free of any debris?

Any cold spots in the radiator?

Is there good resistance on the cooling fan when you spin it by hand (LOL, obviously with the engine off)?

Hard to tell if water pump is bad (fins gunked up), but I wouldn't keep it out of mind.

Seems like it's holding pressure okay, but a pressure test wouldn't hurt to see how long it can hold 16lbs or so for.

Pete

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You can check the water pump by grabbing the fan ( again while it's not running..) at the top and bottom and wiggling it to determine if there's excess play in the shaft...they can go bad without developing a leak..a bad bearing would prolly not make it overheat, but can lead to sudden failure if it freezes the bearing. I've seen impellers freewheel on the shaft and not move any water..

Gabe8810

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
ok i have had the head gaskets tested and they checked fine, ill have to check the water pump tomorrow. I mean i got the truck for 400 bucks with a 6 inch lift new drive shaft and 33 muds so i can spend a little money on it.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I recommend anyone who cares about their motors to install a mechanical guage. The factory stuff on all fords is junk.

They are about $30 and an hour install.

Gabe8810

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
i think ill get one tomorrow just to be sure. could the gauge just be reading wrong?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
i think ill get one tomorrow just to be sure. could the gauge just be reading wrong?
Maybe, it's not impossible. Like what's been stated, best bet would be to check what temperature the engine is really running at. The stock gauge obviously isn't telling you squat.

You might start with the more not so obvious things before before going through the hassle of changing out the water pump. Though it may seem strait forward, reality sets in one you realize that they used steel bolts in the aluminum timing cover. :)

Pete

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
my b2 is running real hot too...after i went offroading. My radiator fins got smashed in so you might wanna check your rad first.

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Put a mechanical gauge in, so we know if it's even overheating or how much it's overheating.

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Check or bypass your heater core also to make sure there is'nt a bubble of air in the top of the motor.

Good luck