•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Towing a Boat

The Fonz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Summer is getting closer and with it the prospect of crabbing and fishing again. I am in a Bass fishing club and last year my dad attempted to tow a 17ft Lowe (with trailer weighs MAYBE 1000 lbs) with the little Bronco instead of his F-250 Super Duty. It pulled really poorly and at one point we tested if we could even hit highway speed so he had it floored and we only managed around 65 and could really feel its presence on the back. We towed it from the bumper and managed roundabout 14 mpg. Since then I decided to add a step bumper (which doesn't fit because of a weird bumper flare :annoyed:) and did a tune up for it to run a tad better. My dad doesn't want to try the bronco ii again if it pulls the same, but I feel compelled to use it as a tow vehicle. I was hoping lowering the boat on a step hitch would decrease wind resistance, any one use these to tow boats regularly? Does 65 as an absolute top speed sound about right? Should I just concede defeat and admit the bronco 2 can't tow?
2.9l
auto w/OD
already planning on getting a tranny cooler
I don't expect it to pull like a v8, just to pull at a comfortable highway speed.

Lil-Pony

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Vehicle
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8, 3.0
How did it pull up hill? We're you in OD or just Drive.:icon_confused:
He'll that f250 could tow both the bronco and the boat:icon_twisted:

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Ive towed over 1000lbs with my 85 B2 without any issues at all, hardly could tell the trailer was there.... mind you I have a manual tranny, older auto's might be a completely differant story.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I just put a reciever hitch on my ranger but it definately is not for towing a heavy load. I`m guessing your boat and trailer is closer to 1500+ lbs loaded and the 2.9 is not a powerhouse by any means. If it has the stock A4LD your likely to wear it out unless it has the upgrades. Probably the weakest link is the tranny and with the short wheel base will make it a little squirrely you want plenty of tongue weight. I recommend a class III receiver hitch if you gonna keep towing it with the B-II mine cost $105 and had to drill two 1/2 inch holes. It took about 1/2 an hour total to install the hitch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330895765226?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
I tried to find the right hitch for your B-II but they are more expensive I personally prefer Reese hitches.

PlumCrazy

Solid Axle Swap
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I actually have a true B2 receiver at the shop. Not sure where you are located though shipping would be killer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The Fonz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
There are no hills where I live so I couldn't tell you, I know it pulled it out of the ramp with no problems. Also have put about 10k miles on it in the last year so I know its been running fine. I loved the Eddie Bauer so I guess i'm paying for it with an a4ld :sad: and I might just check around junk yards for a hitch if that helps it to any degree.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
The hitch will make for a stronger connection, but won't help with the power needed. It seems odd though, because I had a 1990 Ranger 2.9L with A4LD trans (with 160,000 miles on it...) and I towed my fathers lifted F-150 30 miles back to his house. I was going 65 down the highway and don't remember it killing itself to do that.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Suspension Style
4wd
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 91F
A 1000lb boat shouldn't be that bad behind a bronco 2. Possibly your gearing in the differentials could be lower than 3.73's which would make towing kind of a pain. If it was struggling to hit 65 there's a problem somewhere, my grandparents towed a 16' travel trailer all over the country with an 84 ford ranger 4x2 2.8L 3 speed auto and never had a problem with lack of power.

FordracingBII

Reaction score
Fort Smith Montana no sales tax and nobodys trying
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Built 2.8L Weber carb, Comp Cam, Edelbrock Headers, ported heads, all synthetic oils
I pulled my 16' Lowe bass boat with my BII and it did good but you cant expect too much. If you are serious about using it to tow your boat some modifications are in order. Your gonna need all the power that 2.9 can muster but it is capable. The biggest problem I see for you is that A4LD . . . .it's a power robbing piece of crap that's just waiting for the worst time to disintegrate on you. The answer here is to swap it out for a 5 speed manual. It's not hard to do and really doesn't cost much if you do it yourself just go to a salvage yard and find a BII that's is the same year with 5 speed. All the holes are already there in your rig so it just bolts on. Also consider headers and a decent exhaust and K&N air filter to let that 2.9 breathe. Doing these modifications will make that BII much more fun to drive mileage should improve and you be styling on your way to slug some Bass. :yahoo:

The Fonz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yeah I already decided that if/when my auto tranny goes I will go for the 5 speed instead of a rebuild. Thanks for all the input!

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Bronco II
I tow with my 4cyl Ranger a lot, but it's a 5 speed. I go 900 or more lies with it. Pulling a small boat for a short distance shouldn't be bad. I even pulled a car with my Ranger, but usually I use my fullsize pickup. As for the BII, I can't wait to tow something with it. I have pulled a small utility trailer when it was still a V6. But now that it's an 8 . . can't wait :) I also pickup up a NOS, but scraped up tow Bronco II hitch a few years ago. Some new paint and its perfect. I didn't pay much . . just keep your eye out.

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I've used mine to tow a 6'x12' enclosed trailer on occasion with a weight around 3500lbs depending what I'm hauling.
No doubt I can tell it's back there, but the 2.9L does maintain 65 MPH no problem if not on a grade while getting around 15 mpg.

I agree with wildbill23c, your axle gear-to-tire size ratio may need some adjustment.