•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Transplant 88 to 86 Bronco II 2.9l

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I found a GREAT donor for my 86. Its a 88 B2. I want to just seperate the engine from the bell housing and the exhaust manifold and pull it out with evything attached... last time I did this i pretty must dissasembled the entire engine and re assembled it. This engine is perfect so I just wan to pull it whole and install it whole. Is this possible?

Thanks!
Chaz.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
There will be some dis-assembly regardless, but just as long as the radiator is out (cooling fan will have to come off), I don't see why you couldn't pull each with the manifolds and accessories attached. The core support clears the engine balancer. Might have the pull the hood, open it up and see, always can take it off later if you have someone to help. It's nice to take it off, but a real pain to put back on if you're working solo.

Edit:

If you have different fuel line fittings to the rail, just take the upper intake off both engines, and remove the fuel rail from the '86 engine and leave it attached to the fuel lines in the engine bay - zip tie it somewhere out of the way - then install the '86 fuel rail and upper intake onto the '88 engine once it's in the chassis. You'll want new injector o-rings if it's taken out (vasoline is a big help installing) and a new plenum gasket, the old one will probably leak if reused.

Last edited:

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
COOL!!! Thanks for the info!! about 10 more degrees cooler and im gunna start!

Chaz.

Spott

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
if you have the '86 2.9l throttle body, keep it for use on the '88 engine; the '86-87 throttle body were bigger than the '88. Also grab the '88 ECC, if you can; the '86 ECC will work, but will report EGR system error codes. The wiring harness from an '86 2.9 will work just fine for an '88.

Spott

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
the EGR and bigger TB etc, would switch over with the '86 intake plenum - but '88 computer with no EGR would be a good direction to go for sure

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My donor B2 is a standard and the engine in putting it in is an automatic, will that have a bearing on the computer??

Chaz

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
the EGR and bigger TB etc, would switch over with the '86 intake plenum - but '88 computer with no EGR would be a good direction to go for sure
Whats the differnce between the 86 and 88 plenum Intake" ( you are JUST talking about swaping out the TOP part that says 2.9l and is connected to the TB?)

Chaz

sjr53

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
I moved an '88 2.9L into my '86 but reused my '86 upper intake, throttle body, & EGR system. When you have the '88 donor removed, remove the plug in the drivers side exhaust manifold for attaching the EGR tube to it. The injector wiring all the way to the injectors will have to be reused from the '86. You will have an easier time plugging in the injector wiring with the upper intake removed. If you reuse the '86 fuel rail & injectors, it is hard to not get the O-rings dirty when reinstalling the injectors into the lower intake. And do lube the O-rings with a petroleum product and not with silicon. I used a shop vac while scratching crud loose with a screw driver and Que Tips to finish the cleanup in the intake injector bungs. Don't vacuum in flammable vapors as the sparks in the vacuum motor will set them off. I reused my '86 engine computer. You will need to move the knock sensor from the block of the '86 to the '88. But it will probably break when you try to remove it. I still haven't put a new one on because they aren't cheap. I do get some engine knock sometimes so it would be a good idea to have one on the '86 setup.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It probably just uses a different plug to get the injector harness into the main harness.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Well I started taking everything apart and noticed the 88 wiring harness had a couple of extra connectors so you didnt have to remove all the wires off part of the engine, so Im going to have to play with it and the injector wiring is differnt, im going to use my old injector harness on the 88 engine.

Chaz

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
OH! when I unplug my injector wiring on my 86, am I supposed to put the wires in the SAME location on the 88 injectors? or is there a difference?

Thanks Again Guys!
Chaz

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
Kinda, there are 2 wires that control 6 of the injectors (1 wire per 3). Check the MAF conversion article, I think that has what injectors are on what bank.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My 88 didnt have a MAF sensor. at least if it did.. It isnt on the motor anywheres..

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
My 88 didnt have a MAF sensor. at least if it did.. It isnt on the motor anywheres..
I never said it did. Re-read what I posted; what I am directing you to is what injector bank wire goes to which injector if you you lost what order they were in. This has nothing to do with mass air flow, besides I know the wiring pin-out shows what wires go to the injectors on that page.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
My Bad... I havent lost the order yet, I havent changed over the harness yet... Probaly do that today.

Thanks,
Chaz

Dangerranger390

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
just curious if you have completed this swap cause I am about to stard doing the same thing but I am swapping all the wiring harnesses everywhere do to the fact that I have a short somewhere and the previous owners hacked the all up. what issues did you run into? how did you fix them? so on and so on. thanks in advance for the help.

The Slider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
All I changed out was the Injector harness from the 88 to the 86. But It was a snap! All the other harnesses worked. Other than that Mine is running like a champ :)

Chaz

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yes, put the injector plugs in the same spots.