•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Two issues on one thread lol

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
OOOOK, well, it looks like I will be EITHER replacing the ENTIRE rocker panel, OR just removing it and painting it/primering. Its rusted all the way down from front to back. I think the inner panel is salvagable, IF and only if I get the rust on it in the one spot taken care of ASAP. This is only the left side, can't imagine the right side being any better.
PIX:

Got a guy on explorer forum telling me that if I just remove that panel and not replace it, it will make my explorer structurally unsound, is this true?

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Just cut it out and replace it. You could cut it out and leave it, but it would look like crap and leave the rest open for rust. Just my 2 cents.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
So has someone on here done this to an explorer? I know this is a ranger site, but was wondering if someone in this particular (bronco and explorer) forum would know what steps are all involved in replacing the entire panels....my husband is going to teach me how to do bondo work and the cutting out, but the welding is an entirely different story.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Don't bondo it, cut it and do it right. Look in the tech forum for body work.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I'm going to take care of it, just not this year. I'm not doing any bondo work. I'm cutting metal, using naval jelly to get rid of the bad rust and then sanding and then painting with rubberized undercoating to protect thru winter. The wheel wells will have to wait....all of this has waited 19 years, its not going to make much difference for one more winter.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Now my husbands saying the truck isn't worth fixing the rockers the right way. Even with a rebuilt engine its old and not going to last very long. What r ur guys' opinions on this? I've already spent so much on this rig I don't just want to get rid of it.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Build it for a trail rig. It ain't gotta be Purdy that way lol. Or donate it to me lol. Jk. I wouldn't sell it. You couldn't get any money for it likely. I'd either build it as a trail rig or just drive it as is or throw money at it n fix it regardless of the husband. Lol

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I plan on fixing the rockers as good as I can for now. Maybe once summer comes next year, i'll have enough cash to do it the right way. Husband's can be like this sometimes lol. HIS truck is a 92 F150 and i never hear him complain about the shape its in, even though its no better than mine, except he doesn't have rotten rocker panels haha.

I'd like to build it for a trail rig, but right now I need it as a daily driver.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
You can build one that's capable of both. That's why I'm only gonna run 33s on my B2.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Really? I figured it might not be very good to try and make a rig to do both.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I used to be an engineering tech for a major ford transmission remanufacturing facility. It was common knowledge among the admin and engineering groups that women made better employees because;
1. they felt like they had to proove themselves
2. they paid more attention to what they were doing (because of #1)
3. they tended to check their work so they wouldn't make mistakes (which they felt would be used against them)

also: in world war II, WOMEN built all our planes, tanks, and guns, that made it possible to win the war, because our equipment was more dependable than the (badguys)
Don't be afraid to learn what you can because of your gender. I know a bad ass chick that can build a bad ass chopper better than most guys. And, a very nice lady that can rebuild the most complicated automatic transmissions with the very best of them.
Learn and do what you can. Ignore the idiots.
+1 :rockon:

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Ok so now that my rust holes r fixed, whats the best way to go about taking care of the skirt holes? Theyre so small but there isnt anything behind them to really put bondo on. I really need to figure this out sson.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Those pieces under the doors are called rocker panels. The only way tp properly fix them is to cut all the rust out and replace the cut out material. You should be able to buy the rockers from the LMC website mentioned. It isn't as hard as you may think just time consuming to do it right. And yes if welding them in do the spot weld method. That means just welding a small spot at a time.And as stated by voodoo move to another spot every time. The sheet metal has to cool or it will warp like crazy. You want a totally welded seam however you accomplish this by lots of small spot welds that have cooled before putting another one beside it. Hope this helps.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I know what theyre called....and ive had the pieces that were rusted out already welded. The holes im talking about r the tiny holes that the plastic side skirts hook into the rocker panels.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Well i do believe i took care of the rocker panel holes. I found plastic fasteners that fit tightly into the holes and i used jb weld to keep them from coming out. It looks pretty good.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
If you lived in Tennessee, I would have welded the rockers in for you, I have a nice little 110 volt MIG, that I just love playing with and I'm getting ready to fix ALOT of rust on my 88 Ranger, and I'm also doing the body on a 67 Mustang, lots of welding on it, I had to replace both Back panels with new panels, and finish up welding the new floor pans in.

Also, I don't know if it's just me or do alot of Explores have that problem with rust in the Rockers, this 92 I traded for to part out the rockers are rusted out on it, and my Father-In-Laws is trying to rust, bit I fixed it before it got too bad.

Robert

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Nice a 67 stang :) i wish i had my mach 1. I sure do miss her.

Apparently those exploreres who live where theres snow in winter have the problem....i know why its cuz those stupid plastic skirts that get put on traps all that sand and deicer crap that gets put on the snowy roads....sux.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
well, this one I'm fixing up for a friend, he is paying for all the supplies, and I get to play with my new little welder before I tackle my Ranger, so it's all good, now if I could only get him of the grandson to spend the money to fix the interior up, it will be really nice when I get done.

Robert

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Let's see some pics of the repairs TJS!

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year