•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Want to put V8 in Explorer

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
I have a 93 Ford Explorer 4x4 -I thinking about putting a 5.0 engine in it this summer-but want to keep it 4 wheel drive-what will I need.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It would be easiest to find an Explorer donor with a 5.0 already in it.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
sarcasm is so hard to convey when typing but here goes.......

sadly its not like this site already has an abundance of information detailing this very subject :icon_twisted:

thank you for asking a question that has never been asked before and therefore would not have yielded any info had you chosen to use the search function

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
It would be easiest to find an Explorer donor with a 5.0 already in it.
I understand what you are saying I have the 5.0 already built,and have been looking a donor one hadn't but able to find one.So I'm decide to find what I need and do it this way.Can it be a adapter plate bought ,or made to bolt the A4Ld trans/behind the 5.0 engine and uses the same transfer case.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Possibly but you would be much better off looking for 5.0 related parts. I would imagine seeing as A4LD's have a tendency to blow up behind an engine, the 5.0 would reduce the A4LD to a gooey puddle of metal and ATF.... I'm sure it is posted somewhere on here, but check to see if the 96+ Explorer's and 97+ Mountaineers came in 4x4 or only AWD. If they did, take your engine, your Explorer, and all the donor parts needed from the 96/97+ expo/mount. It may take awhile to find your parts, but the swap will be smoother, cleaner, less frustrating, and above all fun. Good luck!

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
FORD
I been thinking about the 5.0 -and trans-I don't think i'm going to put it back fuel injection I'm going back with a 4bb carb.So I will used a older type 4wd trans to.I decided that would make things a lot easy.Vehicle inspection here is just safety inspection as LONG as it's below a 96 model.I don't know that much about the 4 wd things I will need-I'm more a 2 wd person myself but I just love this truck-I had just rebuilt the A4LD IT'S all new right down to theTorque converter that was the reason I was trying to keep it.Any ideas on this-------This is the way I'm going to do it------OLD School Style---

Psychopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
NONE
Forget about trying to mate a 5.0L to an A4LD, cause it's going to be a waste of money - actually you can get a used AOD for probably a fraction of the price of an adapter that would work, if it even existed. Using EFI components would make tv cable less of a headache, or go with a full size manual trans and transfer case, or maybe a 3 speed auto. Or AOD-E w/ aftermarket controller.

85_Ranger4x4

December 2013 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Suspension Style
4wd
Something I never really thought of, but an Explorer frame is wider than a Ranger frame, so a full size t-case would in theory fit better than a Ranger/BII (notoriously tight)

As far as I know Explorer's that had a 5.0 had the 4R70W tranny and AWD. I would opt for a AOD and whatever T-case it came with, F-150/F-250/Bronco stuff. Neither would be computer controlled (which probably won't jive with your "built" 302) like the regular 5.0 Explorer stuff.