•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Weird "bump-steer" issues at low speed????

idriveafordranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009/1994/1988
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
SOHC 4.0L/OHV 4.0L/5.0L V8
Hi, I just got my 1990 Bronco II on Sunday and don't know much about it. I tested out the 4 wheel drive climbing a huge hill :icon_twisted:. I took it out of 4x4 low (mine is the push button 4x4) and went to park. I started turning the steering wheel (at a very low speed) and all of a sudden I get this terrible "bump steer" issue where my steering wheel rocks back and forth like crazy and the tires grip really hard. It will hardly move at all. In order to move, I have to straighten out the wheel. So, I went out of my driveway, stopped, and put it in 4 LO. I accelerated and shifted through all of the gears until I hit 5th, slowed down, and stopped. I shifted back into 2 HI and went and parked again. Everything was fine. No steering issues. I am not sure what is wrong; I'm new to Bronco's. Can someone help me?

4x4junkie

Mall-Rated
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
If it's only happening when you turn the wheel while in 4WD, it could be the front axle u-joints are frozen up with rust.

Keep in mind though some binding is normal in 4WD, as it does not have a center differential in the transfercase like a full-time all-wheel-drive vehicle has.

Does it do it at all with the hubs locked, but t-case in 2WD?

idriveafordranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009/1994/1988
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If it's only happening when you turn the wheel while in 4WD, it could be the front axle u-joints are frozen up with rust.

Keep in mind though some binding is normal in 4WD, as it does not have a center differential in the transfercase like a full-time all-wheel-drive vehicle has.

Does it do it at all with the hubs locked, but t-case in 2WD?
I don't know if it does it in 4x4. When I shift out of 4x4 into 2wd (I have automatic locking hubs) it does it.

jims89broncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
is there any lift on it? how are the steering link angles? you want them to be pretty close to level as you can get them.

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
sounds to me like it didnt come out of 4 wheel drive. try putting it in reverse and drive a couple feet after you turn off the 4 wheel drive. i have to do this every time so the transfer case disengages right away.

TrikeKid

Reaction score
You need to reverse a bit so your hubs unlock when you take it out of 4wd.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
You need to reverse a bit so your hubs unlock when you take it out of 4wd.
:agree:

About 8-10ft, after the 4wd lights are out.

BTW, that's not "bump steer". Bump steer is a situation that occurs when the suspension geometry doesn't match that of the steering geometry.
IE: Hit bumps and the steering wheel jerks.

BDAB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
00, 99, 00
Vehicle
Ford, Ford, Bui
Engine Size
V10, 5.4L, 3.8L v6
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I am going to clarify something here.

You do not need to go into reverse to unlock the hubs. You need to change direction. you can back out of your driveway in 4wd, put it in 2wd and go forward and the hubs will unlock. if you were going forward then yes you need to reverse to unlock the hubs.

Don't go around thinking that the act of going into reverse for 10 feet is what unlocks the hubs ....... its the change of direction that unlocks them.

this is the reason auto hubs fail prematurely on trail rigs..... the rapid change of direction (when stuck) causes the hubs to unlock and relock rapidly and that wears out the hub.... might even cause it ti grenade..... simple way to solve this is to replace with locking hubs or driveplates

idriveafordranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009/1994/1988
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Okay thanks everyone. Like I said, I don't know much about Broncos so I appreciate everyone's input!