•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Welding front diff on a daily driver

The Jester Race

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2006
Vehicle
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 2.5
bad idea? 87 Bronco II dana 28 with manual hubs. Should I quit being a cheap ass and buy a locker?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
I would not even consider welding a d28 wherever you're going to drive it.

daniel3507

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i dont know if i would do that. probably make it harder to turn and even harder on your tires

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Reaction score
probably make it harder to turn and even harder on your tires
The ONLY way it would make it harder to turn on the street is if the MANUAL hubs were locked in.

If you are driving on the street with the hubs locked in, then you will see problems. But, why would you be driving on the street with the hubs locked in in the first place?

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
You're joking, right?

I have a Lock-Rite in the D-28 on my choptop. With 33's in soupy mud I shattered an axle shaft... the U-joint was brand new and it didn't spit a cap. But it did break the ears off the stub and twist the splines off in the diff. I replaced the shaft and then was running around in the winter with the front hubs locked in and blew a U-joint. Heard a sudden THUMP-THUMP that rattled the floorboards and pulled over to investigate. Yup. Didn't even have to have the t-case in 4x4 to do it neither.

Combs Customs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 1993 /19
Vehicle
Ford / Ford / F
Engine Size
4.0L / 4.0L /4.0L
i think what lil_blue_ford was saying was, why lock a d28? it won't last. They barely survive with stock tires and an open diff. Much less M/T's and a locker.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
i think what lil_blue_ford was saying was, why lock a d28? it won't last. They barely survive with stock tires and an open diff. Much less M/T's and a locker.
Exactly.

Not to mention there are parts of the country that you need to use 4x4 at times in the winter and under some conditions you need 4x4 only here an there, so it's easier to just leave the hubs locked in on the road. Like my old driveway, I had to have them locked in to get out the top if it was bad, but there was nowhere to stop an unlock 'em till you got about a mile down the road. If you tried to just ease onto the shoulder an do it, there'd be a good chance you'd get flattened by a semi or salt shaker before you were done.

XJCrawler

Reaction score
Don't listen to these guys. Weld it. You will be ok, I build crawlers for a living. Everything gets welded, just make sure the ring and the pinion gear are good and clean before you weld them.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Don't listen to these guys. Weld it. You will be ok, I build crawlers for a living. Everything gets welded, just make sure the ring and the pinion gear are good and clean before you weld them.
Have you ever welded a D-28 and ran it? Probably not.... a D-30 will take way more abuse than a D-28 ever will.

The only possible way to weld or lock a D-28 and expect it to last any length of time would be to tack weld a new set of U-joints in the shafts and only lock one hub at a time. But that kinda defeats the purpose of a locker or welding it.

Combs Customs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 1993 /19
Vehicle
Ford / Ford / F
Engine Size
4.0L / 4.0L /4.0L
I have no problem with welding a differential. But welding a differential that is weak enough to blow shafts when its OPEN is just asking for trouble by welding it. And if you think 1 axle shaft blows, your ok because you got 3wd still, good luck. If you broke 1 axle while both front wheels are pulling, your going to break the other twice as fast when its doing all the work. I'd suggest swapping in a D35 and welding it, if you actually going to use the truck.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
I have no problem with welding a differential. But welding a differential that is weak enough to blow shafts when its OPEN is just asking for trouble by welding it. And if you think 1 axle shaft blows, your ok because you got 3wd still, good luck. If you broke 1 axle while both front wheels are pulling, your going to break the other twice as fast when its doing all the work. I'd suggest swapping in a D35 and welding it, if you actually going to use the truck.
Heh, 3wd is a good way to get stuck... when I blew my front shaft I had to get my buddy with a YJ on 34" LTB's to yank me out cuz I was buried pretty much to the frame and I got there in one big hurry when there was a loud bang in the front end from that axle snapping.

I used to think that if you took proper care of a D-28 it would be ok and it didn't deserve the bad rap it got. But after blowing 2 shafts in three times of having it off the pavement, I'm a believer. Go D-35.

XJCrawler

Reaction score
Weld it, it will be fine. Seriously tho, clean the ring and the pinion first before welding, and I recommend heating them up before you weld them, you get better penetration. I didn't clean mine first and the weld broke.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
If you like 3-piece axle shafts and a diff full of grindings....

dirty_little_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I have ran 42's, never had a prob. I would try 44's, no sweat.
ok, i thought i would be fine as long as i don't weld or put a spool in the front. i have been running 44" Boggers on the rear for about 3 months now and i finally got the lift done on the front :headbang:

Combs Customs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 1993 /19
Vehicle
Ford / Ford / F
Engine Size
4.0L / 4.0L /4.0L
ok, i give up. Maybe someone else will pick up where i left off. Many guys have broken d28 shafts on the stock 235/75r15 tires. But im sure they just didnt know how to handle the gas pedal.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
ok, i give up. Maybe someone else will pick up where i left off. Many guys have broken d28 shafts on the stock 235/75r15 tires. But im sure they just didnt know how to handle the gas pedal.
My thought was trolls so I just let it drop with those two.