•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

what broke first?

5.0fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
I went out for a little drive near my house last night and was trying to go up a ledge that i have been up many times in my bronco. For some reason I couldn't make it anymore. I figured it was just from having my tires fully inflated and forgot about it. But as soon as I started down the dirt road to leave i could hear a little banging around in the front end. I hopped out and looked and found that I had broken a passenger side inner axle shaft. I was kind of surprised by it. I tore down the front end to start fixing this broken axle and found that the passenger side carrier cap had also split in two and all of the pins in my lockright had broken also. Surprisingly I didn't feel or hear any of this break. Now I'm wondering what broke first to cause all this damage?

Hahnsb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Vehicle
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Breaking a shaft is known to take out lockers. The split bearing cap is pretty unheard of.

5.0fox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Ill take a pic of it tomorrow. I think the bearing cap may have broken and allowed the carrier to deflect away from the pinion gear and allow it to bind the inner axle shaft.