•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What do I need to remove for a d28/d35 swap?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Well over the last few months I have been searching for a donor explorer for my d35 swap and all my findings have come up empty. People around here are wanting way too much for their junk cars. So I guess I am going to have to go to a pick and pull place and just buy the parts that way. So being I wont have the whole truck here to take parts off as I need them can anyone here tell me the parts I will need to take off? I am sure that if I change the front axle the ujoints will be different sizes which means different drive shafts then that means different transfer case and that possibly means different transmission then that means different rear drive shaft and different rear end its a never ending cycle! Am I over thinking this? I hope there is a simpler solution. Will the d35 work with the B2's transfer case? If all that has to be changed it will probably be cheaper to actually pay the $1500 people are asking for their explorers. Im a novice to this so please excuse the stupid and redundant questions I may ask. I am more interested in the axles than the motor because my 2.9 has been such a strong motor I don't have to replace it right now, but in March I am going to take the bronco to an off road park and don't want to spoil the trip by breaking an axle.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
You will have to shorten your driveshaft , because the D35 is bigger.

They used 1350 in pre 90 rangers /B2's. If you could snag a 1354M and front driveshaft, you would be way ahead.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
I understand that but can i use a d35 with my B2's transfer case or does that have to be changed as well?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Wow thats a life saver! Besides the axle housing itself with the rotors and everything is there anything else i will need? Radius arms or any of that?

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
I am doing one now and the b2 radius arms have the better shock mounting set up, wont break like the explorer ones are known to. You will want to replace any suspect parts like the radius arm pivot bushings, ujoints, seals etc. I got all mine from jeffs bronco graveyard after much research they have the best price on the dana spicer ball joints and 760 u joints and radius arm pivot bushings. You can pull it off. call around for price checks then get to know the guys at the best wrecking yard and they will hook you up, mine do.

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
You might give some thought to using a 97 Ranger D35 setup so you get better brakes. I'm considering a B2 project and IF I keep the TTB it will be a 97 setup specifically for those brakes.