•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What is this?

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I wrestled the oil pan off my 2.9 and I found this in the pan...
What is this?

Sent from my Casio G'zOne Commando 4G, it's the John Connor of Smartphones. You cannot kill it...

Using Tapatalk.

adsm08

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I think it's part of a chain guide.

Can you get us a few more angles, preferably without the pliers.

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I think it's part of a chain guide.

Can you get us a few more angles, preferably without the pliers.
I think you're right. I looked up the part online and it looks like the end of the timing chain tensioner....

Great. This started as a simple A4LD to FM146 swap.......:sad:

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yeah, definitely part of the timing chain tensioner. If it makes you feel any better, I had a 2.9 do the same thing and never had a problem with it.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk now Free

kunar

Odd One
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Its not a huge job to replace if you wanted to. Basically, strip all the accessories from the front of the truck. Pop off the timing cover and swap out the parts. A well prepared shade tree mechanic could knock it out in an afternoon.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk now Free

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Yeah, it's not so much the actual doing it as it is the fact that I started out just doing a trans swap, figured I'd change the oil pan gasket and rear main seal out while it was off...
Discovered what a PITA taking the oil pan off is, (had to remove oil pump), and now I discover something else is broken along with the mystery coolant leak that has developed, even though it hasn't moved in a couple of months.

I'll probably swap it out once the trans job is complete, but it's aggravating as hell, plus my wife loves to throw out the "I told you so" and "I told you not to sell your Cherokee" everytime I come in from the garage with another broken part or new found problem.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
I'll probably swap it out once the trans job is complete, but it's aggravating as hell, plus my wife loves to throw out the "I told you so" and "I told you not to sell your Cherokee" everytime I come in from the garage with another broken part or new found problem.
That's when I throw out the if I listen to every "I told you so" from my Mother, you wouldn't be here either, "darling"...not sure why she makes me sleep on the sofa...:icon_confused:

I'm looking forward to the day I get mine all rebuilt...just gonna run it until it breaks but I may end up spending as much in oil as it would cost to just fix those leaks...my rear main seal, front valve covers, oil pan and God knows what else leaks like a siph...the guy I bought it from "they all leak a little with some age on them"...yeah, that was before I found the shop rags...oh well! Wouldn't trade the old truck for nada...

There may be some hope after all for the old 2.8 (it doesn't have a timing chain or tensioner)...

LIMA BEAN

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
That's when I throw out the if I listen to every "I told you so" from my Mother, you wouldn't be here either, "darling"...not sure why she makes me sleep on the sofa...:icon_confused:

I'm looking forward to the day I get mine all rebuilt...just gonna run it until it breaks but I may end up spending as much in oil as it would cost to just fix those leaks...my rear main seal, front valve covers, oil pan and God knows what else leaks like a siph...the guy I bought it from "they all leak a little with some age on them"...yeah, that was before I found the shop rags...oh well! Wouldn't trade the old truck for nada...

There may be some hope after all for the old 2.8 (it doesn't have a timing chain or tensioner)...
Sofa aint so bad. At least you don't wake up freezing due to a stolen blanket, damn near impossible to get your share of it back from a blanket thieving woman and most times not worth the risk of injury to yourself.