•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What kind of oil do you guys run in the 2.9?

SinisterDom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
Well guys, I'm gonna change the oil in my new Bronco. I'm changing it because to be honest, I'm not quite sure how long it's been since it's been changed, and I figure might as well do it. Advance has a special right now Valvoline and a purolator filter for 16 dollars. Does that sound okay to you guys?

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
That doe not sound too bad but wallyworld sells motorcraft oil and filters pretty cheap.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I use Motorcraft in both my vehicles.

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
its hard to find the gallons in 10-30 the quarts at my local store are 2.29

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
generally whatever Autozone has on sale around the time I change the oil. I'm of the opinion that the oil you use isn't all that important as long as you change it and the filter regularly.

SinisterDom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ranger
Engine Size
generally whatever Autozone has on sale around the time I change the oil. I'm of the opinion that the oil you use isn't all that important as long as you change it and the filter regularly.
Yeah, I've heard that before. Just making sure that it wasn't a non well reputed oil or anything like that...lol. I'm not used to gasoline engines.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
all regular oil is the same, it just has a different picture on the bottle, as long as you change it when it gets used/dirty, it'll be fine, use whatever you want or whatever is cheapest. wallyworld probably has the cheapest, but alot of the autoparts stores have specials now, so you could find a better deal. i work at autozone and we have a special now for $12.99 or $13.99 for oil and an stp filter

master hec0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
i just put whatever i have laying around in my garage and the cheap stuff that is at the store

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
I ran Shell Rotella-T 15-40 in my 2.9 and it stopped the ticking. I run that same oil in my 4.0 since my 2.9 liked it so much. You can get it about anywhere. I also run Napa Gold filters, since they're rebadged Wix. I picked up that trick here years ago, seems everyone on this board swore by that oil for the 2.9. Am I the only one left that won't use anything else in the 2.9 or 4.0 OHV?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
im using the Mobil 5000 10w30 in my 2.8, i changed to the mobile 5k a few years back from motorcraft in my ranger and havent looked back since, change my oil about every 4500 miles and it looks as new as the day i put it in there

b2rich

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
a couple of oil changes ago i was using Castrol Edge 5-30. ran 5000 miles on it and then changed it again oil came out very clean and engine ran well. last change i used the syntek and it seems to be doing good. Ill be changing it real soon and going back to the syntek in 5-30. i need to do a coolant flush first.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
i use rotella t in everything i own.. it works great for me. one oil for gas burner or diesels and it's what we use at the shop so easily available for me

chazzone

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Rotella Synthetic 5W-40 and a Motorcraft filter, but then I have to depend on my truck. I'd never use cheap crap oil or filters.

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
I will stick with the fram filters my self. But will have to try out that oil that every one likes to see if it helps with the oil pressure gauge jumping every time i step on the gas.

94xlt4.0

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9, 4.0
i usually stick with a motorcraft filter and whatever is the cheapest name brand is for oil. wal mart has the motorcraft high mileage 5 quart jug for like 10 bucks right now so thats what i have in it

8sechonda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
i ran delo 400 in my 2.9 when i had my 87 4x4- ran the holy hell out it in the mud and abused it (was jus my play toy i dont treat my other cars like ) nvr had any probs w that oil. but in my 98 i use castrol syntec..

dp88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
I thought Advanced Auto's oil was just rebadged Penzoil?

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
delvac hd+ qt of lucas and a fram filter, delvac to keep the oil pressure up(stays around 20psi at idle on a moter with 180,xxxmi) and the lucas seems to keep the start up chatter away

will1861

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Mobil and Motorcraft oil are the same. I try to stock up when it's on sale. But I think your okay as long as you keep it changed regularly. But I always use the Motorcraft filters. I have had several issues with Fram and I will never put any of those on my motors. I think Wix may make the Motorcraft as well, never had any problems with these two filters. But none off my mechanic friends will touch a Fram at all. Cases split, bad threads, and gaskets, weaker walls, you name it. They just seem to be made at a lower quality. Never tried their heavy duty line though.