•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

What size alternator

88bluexlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My alternator went south this afternoon. What size replacement do I need?

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Duh!
Tuff stuff performance(at summit) has 100 amp for around 90 bux

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I would probably just rip one out of a wrecker...

I think stock B2s came with 60 and 80 amp alternators, depending on A/C, power windows/locks, ect.

88bluexlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Put a new alternator in yesterday morning. Battery check was good. went to work and the troubles began . The alternator was only putting out 12 V max. As I got later in the day the voltage drop was down to almost 11 V. I am going to go get my B2 at work .I had to leave it there last night. I have another battery I will put in it as the "good" battery may not be that way. If the alternator is ok can a battery with a weak cell cause it to accept only a partial charge from the alternator and show these results?

88bluexlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Alternator checked out bad. Got a new one . Installed it yesterday and it worked well. At least the gauges showed a 14.1 V output. Everything seemed ok. I kept my gauge on it a while and it seemed ok and I took it off. At work tonight I turned my lights on and I couldnt tell if they were on.I quickly plugged in the gauge and it showed only 10.1 volts . I made it to civilization and parked the car.Had my wife come get me and gave my work to another gent. This will be 2 lifetime warranty alternators form Advance auto that are bad. What do I do now . I am frustrated, bewildered, at a total loss at what to do. Get my money back and try another store. I have no idea. Has anyone had anything in their working knowledge of these vehicles about something like this. Car runs ,starts ,drives like new. Just this alternator crap . Who makes an alternator that works? Anyone want someparts?

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford Bronco II
sounds like a cable or connection problem. You should read more than 12 volts on a good charged battery. you should read 14 volts or so when the engine is running. Any local automotive store can test your battery and alternator.

If you have a bad connection or a bad cable, then this would give the same exact results you described, a good alternator, a good battery, but the battery not charging up.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
llt warranty electronic parts like that usually cause problems.. i will not buy things like starters, alternators, or any other reman electrical parts. most time they give you llt is when its reman... i got my last one from pull a part.. but if i buy one, i buy NEW and usually from NAPA. but the summit one listed above is a good option to probably

88bluexlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
have to drive 30 miles to get to car in the AM . There is a store about 3 miles from where the car is . I think I will stop by and get new cables first . Install them and see what happens. Then if need be I will dig deeper. I have a new connector plug that replaces the stock one . But I couldnt see anything coroded on the one in it now so I didnt install it . Maybe I will do that as well.

88bluexlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Went to work on B2 this AM. Took Alternator out and had it tested. The brilliant people at Advance Auto said it was bad. I argued the point because I saw the Mgr hook the unit up wrong and I told him but he knowing all there is to know about automobiles said I was wrong. Nonetheless I got a new one and installed it and it immediately would not chrage. So, there is something not allowing the alternator to charge the battery. I installed new cables etc. today and nothing new. Anybody have a wiring diagram of the charging system of these vehicles? I went to a local shop and had them tow the car to their shop and try to find out whats wrong with it. As soon as its fixed it will be for sale . So, any offers now are accepted. I am not keeping this vehicle . Marshmallow roast sounds nice ...... HMMMMMMM.......!

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
i start the bidding at $400! lol..

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford Bronco II
Have you had the battery tested? What about the connections or cables?

Charging a battery is generally straight forward, but small issues like bad connections, corrosion, grounds can cause problems like you are having.

Twister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985, 1987
Vehicle
Duh
Engine Size
2.8L, 2.9L
Voltage regulator maybe :dunno:

It went bad on mine and wouldn't let the battery charge.

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Advance/Auto Zone alternators are JUNK! You are better off with a used one from a salvage yard than one of those. My Mother-in-law worked at a plant that remans alternators for those stores. Over HALF of them are known to be bad but ship anyway. A lifetime warranty is useless if you are going to have to replace it 6 times before you get one that works. I bought a 200 amp kit to rebuild my alternator off of eBay for 75 dollars.

88bluexlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I know that now. I had no idea that companies are producing so much crap these days. Its just amazing to me. I have never had any issues with geting parts from Advance ever till now. My dad owned a store here in town and so my parts came off the shelf. But they were made in America by Americans.
I cant just go to a bone yard and get an alternator off a vehicle. The engine has to be shot before they will selll parts off it. It goes with the motor. Stupid but they make the rules.
The car is in the shop being worked on . No idea yet as to status but will keep you advised. Thanks for all the suggestions as they have been gone over several times while trying to correct this issue.
4.0B2 what piece of my B2 are you bidding on?

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
When I have to buy a new alternator, I buy AC Delco for my Chevys or Motorcraft for my Ford. I figure that if it is good enough for the factory, it's good enough for me. They cost a little more, but you will be happier in the long run.

88bluexlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I heard from the repair shbop today. One of the pigtails had a broken pin that went on the alternator thus vibrating and causing the alternator to appear not working.It would also at times vibrate together allowing the alternator to charge the battery. So, all of these wonderful auto parts guys at Advance dont have a clue how to connect an alternator up to test it . They all were most likely good and are still good and tagged as being bad.And as bad as I hate to say it because Dad would turn over in his grave, that I will never step foot in an Advance store again. Repair shop charged me $75 to repair.