•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Will this set-up work (302,np435,dana 20)

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
blown 2.8 getttin a new 302
Should I do the axle swap or the engine swap first. I was thinkin that the axle swap would create more room for the engine and then when i put the 5.0 in i will already know what i have to mod to fit the axles. Or shoud l I put the 5.0 in first and get it set up and then do the axles and figure out what mods have to be done to fit them. It does have a 3" body lift, that should be enough clearance for the 5.0 right? I guess it is just a matter of preference but I wanted to see what input you guys that have done it have for me.

The semester is over soon and I should have a weeks before fire season starts so I can get a move on with the build.

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I would do the engine swap first, that way you don't have to have drivelines built twice, and for that reason alone.

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
This is not a DD. It has been sitting in my back yard for about 5 yrs. I just finally decide to go ahead and turn it into a trail rig so i don't have to beat the hell out my nice ass DD. It is probably going to end up being a seriously red neck rig'd monster.

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
One more quick question. Motor mounts? I am not really into spending $200 buck on mounts. The 5.0 is out of a '85 mustang LX. Will these mounts work? I have read that mustang mounts work but I think that they were from the convertible, not sure. Is there any mounts out of any make/model that would work. Hell for that matter if anyone has some pics of ones they built with measurements I can make some.

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Update

So I have made some progress over the past few weeks. My motor mounts, electric fans and remote oil filter kit will be here in a few days. I have finally gone and picked up my donor ('85 mustang 5.0 carb'd). I have disconnected all of my electrical on the B2, drained fluids, removed accesories and removed the front grill. I just have a question before I go any farther, What exactly do I have to keep from the B2 and what do I need of the stang? I am not planning of retaing the smog crap or the a/c, just want to make sure that it runs good after the swap. It is going to be off road only. Or how difficult would it be to retain all of that and get it street legal. Not to picky about components I have or don't have. The reason I ask is because I am going to trash the entire dash and build an instument cluster and toggle box. I would like to cut back on as much wiring as possible, because I don't know much about the wiring of everything. I will continue to keep the build updated. If you want to see any pics of what I have going on let me now and I will take pics and get them posted. Thanks for the help from everyone.

cp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
ford
Engine Size
Dude, your doing almost exeactly what i'm planning on doing, except i've aready done the SAS on mine. i also have a motor from an 85' mustang and am going to use a carb as well, along with a NP435 and a NP205. As soon as i get off this deployment i'll be able to start workin on mine. keep us posted on how the swap goes.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
get a NP 205 that will marry to the NP 435, that will take care of your drivetrain issue

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I have been looking but everyone wants and arm and a leg for one. I still haven;t decide if I want to run the np435 or the M5OD with the BW T-case out of an 88 F150. I have both set-ups in the garage. I am pulling the stang engine tonight and hopefully the b2 engine and drive train tomorrow. I am still waiting on my engine mounts, should be here by the end of the week now. I will get back on tomorrow to let you know how it is going. Funds are gettin tighter so I am definatley on the BUDGET BUILD NOW.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
np435 won't break. i've seen a couple m5od's with the gears literally stripped off

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
update

I have pulled the 5.0 out and have it on the engine stand awaiting some minor repairs. The 2.8 is ready to be pulled just waiting until I have the 5.0 ready. Won't being to much for the next couple of days. I have to go down to the fire station for a few days. I will update on the progress then.