•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Will this set-up work (302,np435,dana 20)

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
blown 2.8 getttin a new 302
Hi all. I have decided to go ahead with the V8 swap in my carb'd 84 b2. I have a carb'd 5.0 out of an 85 mustang LX (it had a t5 behind it, but thats gone) I also have the harness. I have also come across an NP435 and Dana 24 (divorced) out of a '72 Ford. As far as I know these should all bolt up together without any adapters, right? Any feed back on this wolud be nice, I have to finish making the deals on these parts ASAP.

Last edited:

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
a divorced t-case would be a PITA, due to having to have a SUPER short rear driveshaft.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Yes that setup would work. In a BII that will be the hard part. Drivetrain legnth will be the issue as stated before.

Matt

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Supporting Member
1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Title says D20, post says D24...which??
SVT

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
It is a dana 24 (divorced). Sorry about that. Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping it might give me more clearance under the ride but I didn't think about how short the rear drive shaft is going to be. That is a bummer, I just went and picked it all up the othe day, now it is mine to figure out what to do with. How about the NP435, I have read some people like them and that others do not, any more opinions on that?

Rinny650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302, now "Demon" 347
I had the NP435 on my previous motor and loved it for crawling through super thick mud but not much more than that

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
i LOVE my 435! problem is... yours is basically a 2wd version correct? you would have to buy an adapter which could be more expensive than getting a 4x4 435 at the j/y.

Rinny650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302, now "Demon" 347
Well if he is able to run the divorced transfer case he wont need the adapter. He didnt say what vehicle he had did he? I didnt see it.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Well if he is able to run the divorced transfer case he wont need the adapter. He didnt say what vehicle he had did he? I didnt see it.
reread the first post... its a BII. so... uh, nope not enough room, unless he wants the rear end to follow behind the rear bumper. :icon_rofl:

Rinny650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302, now "Demon" 347
Dang I missed that somehow.

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks for the input. I didn't think about the angles, just got caught up in getting all the parts i needed. I found a good deal on them though so I guess it's not that bad. I guess I am going to scrap that idea and move on to finding the next tranny. I might as well find a tranny and t-case that are already mated. I do not do much crawling, more of a mud pit, hill climbing, and jumping kinda guy. Kinda the "hey ya'll watch this." What suggestions do you have on a manual tranny and t-case for that will best bolt to the '85 mustang 302?

Or what if i kept the NP 435, what would be the best t-case to find for it. I have read that alot of people like to use the Np 205/208 but they require and adapter (nearly $500) I am looking for more of a bolt on T-case. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
your 435 is in fact a 2wd model, right? if so, the only way to marry a t-case is with an adapter... check with james duff or bronco graveyard on an adapter for a dana 20, they work nice.

are you determined to have a man. trans... or are you okay with an auto?

where are you located?

FordMan016

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
big bad 3.0L
if you could find a T18 or T19 that would be pretty insane low gearing but off the top of my head im not to sure if that will bolt up but pretty sure it will.

Both 18 and 19 and same gear ratio's but 19 is all synconized and 18 is all synco'd except first and has spur gears on first aswell.

if i could remember correctly the ratio is 6.43:1
(@ 250 engine torque t18/19 first gear puts out 1607 ft/lbs with 4.10 gear you get almost 6600 ft/lbs)

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
if you could find a T18 or T19 that would be pretty insane low gearing but off the top of my head im not to sure if that will bolt up but pretty sure it will.

Both 18 and 19 and same gear ratio's but 19 is all synconized and 18 is all synco'd except first and has spur gears on first aswell.

if i could remember correctly the ratio is 6.43:1
(@ 250 engine torque t18/19 first gear puts out 1607 ft/lbs with 4.10 gear you get almost 6600 ft/lbs)
these WOULD expand your search. they share the same bellhousing andt-case patterns as the 435, but the 435 has a 6.69:1 ratio...slightly better.

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Thanks for the advise guys. Ya I would like to stick with a manual tranny, simply because my B2 was originally a manual and so was the 302 donor. And I like slammin gears. I am not so much set on having really low gears, as i said I do not do alot of crawling. I just happened to come across a good deal on the Np435( I got the NP435, dana 24, and a 360 engine for $300). I think I might be better off to simply resell the above items and try to track down a tranny and t-case from like an F series. I may be able to get my hands on a 84 f250. Not sure if it is a T-18 or T-19, but it is manual. Any idea what t-case would be under there too? Then I would also be able to pull the 9" as well. The truck has no engine but he only wants $400 for it.

I did see that I could get an adapter for a dana 20 but then I would still have to find one and I will have a dana 24 and 360 that I don't need. And I would rather spend the money on a complete setup then having to find a t-case and buy the adapter. My wife already gets pissy with all of the toys I have laying around. Try'n to keep room in the garage to work.

P.S. I live in Northern California, not very many B2's running around out here.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise guys. Ya I would like to stick with a manual tranny, simply because my B2 was originally a manual and so was the 302 donor. And I like slammin gears. I am not so much set on having really low gears, as i said I do not do alot of crawling. I just happened to come across a good deal on the Np435( I got the NP435, dana 24, and a 360 engine for $300). I think I might be better off to simply resell the above items and try to track down a tranny and t-case from like an F series. I may be able to get my hands on a 84 f250. Not sure if it is a T-18 or T-19, but it is manual. Any idea what t-case would be under there too? Then I would also be able to pull the 9" as well. The truck has no engine but he only wants $400 for it.

I did see that I could get an adapter for a dana 20 but then I would still have to find one and I will have a dana 24 and 360 that I don't need. And I would rather spend the money on a complete setup then having to find a t-case and buy the adapter. My wife already gets pissy with all of the toys I have laying around. Try'n to keep room in the garage to work.

P.S. I live in Northern California, not very many B2's running around out here.

you are definately on the right track with all of this! that f-250 should have a np 205 (good case), as for the rear, if you are talking about getting the f-250 rear, it wouldnt be a 9"... it should be a dana 60 (another good choice), and selling what you got, buying a tranny and t-case together is MUCH more cost effective! keep that woman happy!

buildinabeast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Just a little update on what I have goin on. I have come across a D44 and D60 out of a '75 F250 and the tranny and t-case (np208?) out of a 88 F150, all for $400. I am pretty sure the case is a np 208, does that sound right? The guy said the axles were out of a '75 F250 but there are set up with leafs, which is what I was looking to go with, but I didn't think that leafs came on the 250 then??? Any ideas? Oh and they are 8 lug so I am going to track down some miltary hummer rims w/ bead locks and tires. I found a web site www.100dollarman.com, it seems to have what I am looking for. Anybody know of any other options, near Nor Cal? So I now have the 302 ('85 stang), 5spd and t-case ('88 F150) and the d44/d60 (?'75 F250) just need to find the time to get in the garage and get to it. I am a volunteer firefighter, work and go to college fulltime. But, when I actually get the build in motion I will keep everyone informed. It should be pretty intersting, I am fairly mechanically inclined but I have never tried anything like this before. Any opinions or advise before i begin?

Last edited:

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
props on using FORD drivetrain! :icon_thumby:

Shran

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
I would see if you can pick up the D60 by itself, and track down a front 60, and go with an NP435, T18, or T19 with a 205 tcase.

I wouldn't bother with that 5 speed or the 208 when there are better options out there. Plus you can twin stick the 205. I don't think you can do that with the 208.