•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

Wnindshield wipers quit working on my 90 Bronco II

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I just got it back on the road after sitting for a few years. The wipers worked fine until I pressed the washer setting, then turned them to HI. They hesitated, then worked for a second then they stopped mid stroke and wouldnt return to the home position. Now they dont work at all. I can hear a clicking sound coming from the area where the fuses are under the dash when I try to use them on the intermittent setting. I checked all the fuses and the wiper relay and everything seemed to be ok. Any ideas?

Thanks!

schroader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I would say its the switch.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
is there a ground wire that goes from the wiper motor to the chassis in the engine compartment. if there is trying cleaning it up

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i will check and see if that works.

on a side note...it has a rear window wiper, and that works just fine.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
if it is the ground on the front that would make sence. how did you check the relay?. you also can get some elctrical cleaner about $5 and spray the switch etc and see if it cleans it up enough to work. if you have any testing stuff it should be easy to figure out

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
i checked the relay by pulling it from the fuse panel under the dash and used one of those fuse testers that lights up when its good. not sure if that is the correct way to test it.

i am still confused on as to why when i turn the switch to the intermittent setting, i hear a clicking sound coming from the fuse panel area. but when i turn the switch to the lo or hi...no clicking sound.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I am not sure if you tested the relay properly. I looked on rockauto and could not even see a relay for the wipers for your truck. they do have the switch for $26. Does the clicking sound come from the same spot that the relay is at. sometimes there is the same relay for another device and you can swap them to see if it works.

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I looked at a wiring diagram for the fuse panel and it looked like the correct relay, but i could be wrong. What is the correct way to check a relay?
Yeah the clicking sound comes from the same spot...fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side.

koda6966

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
If the squirters still work drain out the old fluid and throw in some RainX fluid. It's only about $3 a gallon and will get you through most rainy days without wipers as long as your doing 30+mph. Water beads up and flies right off on my Ranger, you don't even want to know what my car does with rain. It should at least hold you over until you get the wiper issue fixed.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I looked at a wiring diagram for the fuse panel and it looked like the correct relay, but i could be wrong. What is the correct way to check a relay?
Yeah the clicking sound comes from the same spot...fuse panel under the dash on the drivers side.
I dont know exactly how to check a relay I think you check the resisstance. I usually just swap with another one or buy one for $10. a relay is not a fuse it is an elctromagnet. a lot of times they are square and smaller than a marshmellow

koda6966

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I dont know exactly how to check a relay I think you check the resisstance. I usually just swap with another one or buy one for $10. a relay is not a fuse it is an elctromagnet. a lot of times they are square and smaller than a marshmellow
A relay is basically a small electronic switch. They do use an electromagnet in some relays as the power source. There are also those that are operated by a heat source. If it gets to warm, switch clicks off. This is usually caused by the resistance being too high, causing more friction and thus more heat. These ones are used on heavier motors and other items, such as your alternator. It could have either type.

To check the relay, you would check for continuity from one side to the other IIRC. Same as a fuse. Do you have a decent multimeter?

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
I don't mind, we are just trying to get the OP wipers working so he does not have to use rainx( which was a good temp idea) but you are hijacking the thread. I was using the example so the OP would know that the device did not look anything like a fuse. I was not sure of his knowledge base. I am not an electrical( but i do know what a relay is) expert either. I did go to "how stuff works" and searched for auto relay. this is what i found

Relay Applications

In general, the point of a relay is to use a small amount of power in the electromagnet -- coming, say, from a small dashboard switch or a low-power electronic circuit -- to move an armature that is able to switch a much larger amount of power. For example, you might want the electromagnet to energize using 5 volts and 50 milliamps (250 milliwatts), while the armature can support 120V AC at 2 amps (240 watts).

Relays are quite common in home appliances where there is an electronic control turning on something like a motor or a light. They are also common in cars, where the 12V supply voltage means that just about everything needs a large amount of current. In later model cars, manufacturers have started combining relay panels into the fuse box to make maintenance easier. For example, the six gray boxes in this photo of a Ford Windstar fuse box are all relays:

I could not copy the image. it is a typical power distribution box in a car showing fuses and relays.

ps. It was my understanding that the relays in the distribution box for my 99 ford ranger ie. starter, fuelpump, blower motor were elctromagnets. someone please correct me if I am wrong

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
replace the motor....my B2 does the same thing and that's what i'm gonna do as soon as i find some spare time laying around. my rear wiper also works just fine like you said yours does

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Unfortunately I dont have a multimeter, and the autoparts store doesnt have a replacement relay...they would have to order it in.

I actually was gonna do the rainx thing. lol. But since its not a daily driver, I figure I will just wait to do some troubleshooting.

I may just take it down to my mechanic and have him check it out if all else fails! Thanks!

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Cleaned out the nonsense. You two (you know who you are) knock it off.

koda6966

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Unfortunately I dont have a multimeter, and the autoparts store doesnt have a replacement relay...they would have to order it in.
I actually was gonna do the rainx thing. lol. But since its not a daily driver, I figure I will just wait to do some troubleshooting.
I may just take it down to my mechanic and have him check it out if all else fails! Thanks!
Try tapping it with a small hammer, that seems to work with the power window motor on the van, they're prettymuch the same thing. Also, check to see if the relay controls both the front wipers and the rear one, if it does and the rear one still works then it's not the relay.

holeshot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Well, I ended up taking it to my mechanic and when he went to look at them....they worked!! WTF??

He probably thought I was crazy, and I was like "Are you messing with me?" and he said no...as soon as he tried them, they worked.

I dont get it!! Hopefully they wont decide to quit working when I need them.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
was there a ground wire right off of the motor? Did you check it?

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
x2, I'm thinking its most likely a loose ground somewhere that'll get finicky when it wants to. Or it may even be a rusty ground..haha or a double whammy of a loose rusty ground. Anyway, those would be my first places to check because (1) it just may be it and (2) because its free minus the hour or two it might take.