•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

10 mpgs???

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
mine used to get about 20 then it dropped to 16...still working on it, getting close to setting fire to it. Don't worry, I have liability only so no fraud involved. Just a sweet explosion.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
mine used to get about 20 then it dropped to 16...still working on it, getting close to setting fire to it. Don't worry, I have liability only so no fraud involved. Just a sweet explosion.
thats the way mine is.. got 20 in town at first, now its running rich and yada yada and now i get 16 in town. still aint to to bad i guess but i loved LOVED loved that 20

LittleHorse

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
thats the way mine is.. got 20 in town at first, now its running rich and yada yada and now i get 16 in town. still aint to to bad i guess but i loved LOVED loved that 20
mines also accompanied by stumbling, bucking, and no power.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
mine runs great.. just rich. my pressure reg is bad.
while on this subject, has anyone used the adjustable pressure reg from summit?
well crap i can't find the link now

also, i have one of these, it does help
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAM-KI-75/
idk if that's the actual size or not but you get the pic, its the tornado.

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
mine runs great.. just rich. my pressure reg is bad.
while on this subject, has anyone used the adjustable pressure reg from summit?
well crap i can't find the link now

also, i have one of these, it does help
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAM-KI-75/
idk if that's the actual size or not but you get the pic, its the tornado.
Most people would call the tornado a waste of money. What kind of improvement did it give you?

My 15 mpg is mainly mixed driving. My problem is my foot. That 4.0 will scream. I love it.

92exploder4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
OK, So I used to be able to drive only 50 miles on 20 bucks worth of regular gas (approx. 8 gallons here) and I hit the 50 mark last night without my tank running out, so it appears to be doing better with the new oxy sensor.

Also, it seems to have a little increase in power. It still feels sluggish until it hits about 2500-3000 rpms, then it just takes off.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
biggest things ppl dont check.

brakes rubbing?

tranny slipping?

check your diffs for fluid

check your wheel bearings for worn out parts

your cat may be clogged and the majority of your exhaust is being pushed through the leak.

truck could be stuck in 4wd

injectors could be clogged

you could have a fuel leak

your gas cap may be allowing air in

and the biggest one that happens without you knowing. somebody could be stealing your gas and your truck could be working fine. making your readings come to 10 mpg.
grab a locking gas cap and you may be good!

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
The tornado went from 19.2 to 21.7 on a mixed driving setting. That's not changing driving habits at all. When you consider I got mine on sale for $35 I was happy with it. I was the test rat for my Friends bc no one would buy one. But like I said, I'm getting no where near that now.

92exploder4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
biggest things ppl dont check.

brakes rubbing?

tranny slipping?

check your diffs for fluid

check your wheel bearings for worn out parts

your cat may be clogged and the majority of your exhaust is being pushed through the leak.

truck could be stuck in 4wd

injectors could be clogged

you could have a fuel leak

your gas cap may be allowing air in

and the biggest one that happens without you knowing. somebody could be stealing your gas and your truck could be working fine. making your readings come to 10 mpg.
grab a locking gas cap and you may be good!
Not stuck in 4wd, no gas leaks, fixed the exhaust leak, brakes aren't rubbing, and I will check out the rest of that stuff. I did pull plugs today and saw that for some odd reason I didn't gap them right, most were between .045-.050, so I regapped them all, and I am installing a new fan so haven't started it up to see any difference.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Vehicle
Ford
Could bad motor mounts cause a decrease in mileage? I know mine are bad/going bad, m motor shakes like a mofo - even under acceleration.
So it runs rough? A well tuned engine will move around under acceleration with bad motor mounts, but should still perfectly still at idle

92exploder4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
It dosen't really move at idle, just when driving around, it get's really rough when it shifts into OD at about 48 MPH, but will quit at higher speeds or when I press the pedal a little more and it down shifts.

92exploder4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Ok, got some updates on this.

I have been driving it to work for the past 2 days almost without issue, some power loss but otherwise ok, and I'm clocking about 275 miles so far without running out of gas.

Now, the bad. I left my wallet at work today and had to go back to work to get it, almost right after I got home, it has only been about ten minutes since I shut the truck off. Well, it was extremely hard to start, I had to keep my foot on the gas pedal until the idle smoothed out and it stayed running.

After that, it drove like complete shit. All the way there and back I was at almost a complete power loss going uphill, literally I could stomp the gas and wouldn't even hold my current speed (about 68 mph). So I got it home, scanned for codes, no codes, and looked underneath, and my catalytic converter was glowing red. Maybe it's trash??

Now, when I bought the truck, I was told the heads had been redone, by the PO and his father, who worked at the local Ford dealership as a Mechanic, so I though I was good. Now, if they didn't set the timing right, like, if they set it 180* backwards, could this also make the CAT glow? I have no real way to check the timing as I don't have a timing light (nor the know-how to use one), but is this a possibility?

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
can the timing be "180 out" on an explorer? the timing is not adjustable..
i'd say the cat is stopped up, cut it off... or take it off and knock the honeycomb out of it

LHP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Yep, sounds like your cat is plugged.

mhughes165

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
lol, yup id fencpost the middle of that cat for now

92exploder4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I wasn't sure about the timing, I'm not very educated on the 4.0 yet...

Sounds like maybe I should just get a decent new exhaust, we don't have emissions here, so no cats = no problem!

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Vehicle
Ford
I wasn't sure about the timing, I'm not very educated on the 4.0 yet...

Sounds like maybe I should just get a decent new exhaust, we don't have emissions here, so no cats = no problem!
The CAT thing is federal. Unless you live outside the US, it's a problem. Maybe not for billybob at the local garage but it's not legal.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
But without emissions test who is gonna know? I'm not saying break the law at all. I'm about to redo my exhaust with cats and a muffler. But he's right. It's federal from what I've heard else where.

92exploder4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
I understand it's federal, but I'm not the first one to run a car without a catylitic converter, hell, most people who own a mustang run a catless h pipe. I don't beleive the FBI is going to knock on my door asking me to see my converter. It will only be a temporary thing anyway, I'm gonna gut it out until I can have my exhaust completely re-done.