•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 BII Build

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
the engine is out, go the oil pan/oil pump off/out. gettin the heads checked out at napa's machine shop and then gettin a gasket kit and throwing everything back together. then gettin the exhaust parts together so i can get everything back in.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
well napa wants $120 to check my heads and resurface them.....i'm tossing around the idea of just gettin new headbolts and puttin them back in. the head gaskets were fine and there was only "milk" the oil cap, there was none in the crankcase, so everything in there should be fine. i think the exhaust was so clogged with debris from the cat, that it was backing up into the left side(passenger side) of the exhaust manifold/head/valve cover and thats where the moisture was coming from. i dont have the money for a engine rebuild kit now.

i ordered a new cat today, $53.49 and free shipping on a universal one from autoparts warehouse, $20 cheaper than pepboys

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Ford/Bronco_II/Eastern/Catalytic_Converter/1988/Eddie_Bauer/6_Cyl_2-dot-9L/EAST70318.html?tlc=Engine+&+Drivetrain

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Funny...I looked for it for my truck. Doesnt fit! Its universal. It should

lol But hey, 53 bucks for a new cat is pretty nice!:icon_thumby:

BlackBII

Cheaf of Grammor Poleace
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
My local machine shop charges 35$ a head to mill and check for cracks...120$ is crazy

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Funny...I looked for it for my truck. Doesnt fit! Its universal. It should

lol But hey, 53 bucks for a new cat is pretty nice!:icon_thumby:
for $53, i'll MAKE it work....lol, just picked up a POS sheet metal welder today from harbord freight, so i'll make it happen one way or another

My local machine shop charges 35$ a head to mill and check for cracks...120$ is crazy
that's what i thought, it's actually gonna be more than $120 too, $37 a head to compression test and $32 a head to resurface

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
for $53, i'll MAKE it work....lol, just picked up a POS sheet metal welder today from harbord freight, so i'll make it happen one way or another

lol is it the 90 amp mig welder they have for like 80-90 bucks? Flux core? Nothing wrong with that for what you are using it for in my book. :icon_welder:

Its universal and you are reusing the old flanges so I can see it working out, definitely.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
yep, i got it for $109.00 on sale from $149.00. it works ok, i'm still getting used to it and figuring out how it likes to operate. the last welder i used was when i was in college....it could weld 1 inch stock without a problem and this thing can only do 1/8".

meineke wanted like $450 to redo my entire exhaust system. i politely told them to go **** a goat and walked out. they wanted to put an OEM cat back on it (about $260 from them) a $100 muffler, plus labor and parts. so here is what i figured, i buy a POS welder ($110) buy a cat ($53) new muffler ($25 from autozone) buy some hangers, clamps and piping (we'll say $50) <---all that is about $230 and i have a welder now.

and then to top that all off, i'm gonna get.......wait for it.......wait for it.......some headers. ($220 online) and they come with a new y-pipe, which is good cause i cut mine up. THAT's what i'm gonna do with my $450

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
here's some pics of everything, my computer is in the crapper right now, so i have to go over to my parents to get on the internet.

and the POS welder on the POS wooden cart i built for it

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
got my cat the other day, i'm shopping around for mufflers now. anyone know where to get a good bit of exhaust piping? i need 2.5 inch diamter

Last edited:

jhammel85

On here ignoring work
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
got my cat the other day, i'm shopping around for mufflers now. anyone know where to get a good bit of exhaust piping? i need 2.5 inch diamter
Hey...Modern Warfare 2 :headbang: lol

I've seen long pieces (like 4 ft) @ Pepboys so I'm sure any parts store may have it. You might have to ask, thats all. They should have all angles and elbows too.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Hey...Modern Warfare 2 :headbang: lol

I've seen long pieces (like 4 ft) @ Pepboys so I'm sure any parts store may have it. You might have to ask, thats all. They should have all angles and elbows too.
modern warfare 2 is the SHITE.......yeah i've seen them at pep boys, i'll just ask them next time i go in

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Update

well, i've been busy trying to scrub all the CRAP off my engine block. it was 1/8" deep in some places and really didnt wanna come off. i soaked it with degreaser for days at a time and it still didnt wanna come off. got one side cleaned up and painted along with the oil pan and water pump.

i'm starting to reassemble everything now, but i gotta save up for some head gaskets ($20 a piece). plus, i still have to get the exhaust manifold bolts that broke out of the heads, it's a pain in the ass

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Shiny paint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks great.

You have Modern Warefare 2 too, is the best, I'm on Xbox live everynight playing it with friends.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Got alot done this weekend. painted the rest of the block and a lot of other small stuff. i couldnt resist puttin the upper and lower intake manifolds on.

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
SHINYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait said that already. Have to say your making that 2.9 look great.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
cleaned it up with some degreaser as good as i could get it, taped off some of the pieces and painted it with high heat engine paint. the blue was called 'blue oval' or 'ford blue' or something like that. the black is just a glossy black, i used that so that you wouldnt really notice if dirt and grease started to build up....it was caked on there before.

i'm still trying to get the exhaust manifold bolts that broke out of the heads. the valve covers are blue, so i'm not sure what color i'll paint them. i may leave them bare metal or just paint them black, we'll see

i'm thinking that when i finally buy a parts BII, i'll rip the motor out of it and do a complete rebuild.....new heads, pistons, and all that jazz.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i've been workin on the heads today. a bunch of the exhaust manifold bolts broke off. they are a bitch. i'm chasing all the threads too.

got it painted today too

here's the other side, as you can see 4 bolts broke on this side F*CK!!!
it's gonna be a PITA

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Same shit as my 4.0... You just drilling and retapping?

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
^
yeah, most likely. the left side only had one bolt break, i drilled it out pretty easily.
the right side is proving to be way harder though, i'll most likely have to re-tap them a different size. pain in the ass