•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 BII Build

BroncoIIer

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
I used James Duff shocks on mine. 45$ each and have worked great! I called and told them my static height, and about how much travel I expected to have. They have worked awesome on both of my trips so far! I was skeptical about the on road handling without the sway bars, but these shocks do the job nicely.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
yeah, i didnt know what to do for mounting the shocks i have now. so i just set it in the middle. the pistons are 8" long, so i have 4" of the piston showing with the weight of the truck on it.

the shocks i have came from legoms old setup. they're TTB 6" lift shocks from his mazda. so they're a little long.

Stang5lgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
yeah, i didnt know what to do for mounting the shocks i have now. so i just set it in the middle. the pistons are 8" long, so i have 4" of the piston showing with the weight of the truck on it.

the shocks i have came from legoms old setup. they're TTB 6" lift shocks from his mazda. so they're a little long.
4 inches up and down is good. But you can get a lot longer travel shock now since you have a solid axle. Double R has 4 inches up travel and 10 inches down travel. LOL :D

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
4 inches up and down is good. But you can get a lot longer travel shock now since you have a solid axle. Double R has 4 inches up travel and 10 inches down travel. LOL :D
that's what i want. i probably need a little less travel since i have shorter coils than double r. i'll either lengthen the mounts i just made or get some f250 mounts.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
well i cant find any fawking used 32's or 33's and i cant afford to buy new ones for 2 or 3 months. i want to get this damn thing done, so i can use my garage for other stuff and of course i want to drive the darn thing. so i'm not waiting that long to finish this thing. ugh, so frustrating.

so here's what i'm thinking, i'm going to cut one full coil off my XJ coils and get the front to match the back as close as possible and then just run 31's. i've found of tons of good deals on sets of 31's. plus, the 2.9 and 373's would like 31's much better than 32's or 33's. it would also be a little shorter and i wont have to run a rear block.

then one day i'll get some 33's for it, or perhaps find a good deal on a FW44 to cut down to EB size.....we'll see

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
I know what you mean, I need a set of 235/75/15's and they are getting hard to find at a decent price, everyone thinks those sizes are worth their weight in gold, even the the home made drag slicks are priced too high.

Robert

posted with monkey dung.

Last edited:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I know what you mean, I need a set of 235/75/15's and they are getting hard to find at a decent price, everyone thinks those sizes are worth their weight in good, even the the home made drag slicks are priced too high.

Robert

posted with monkey dung.

yeah, i need the same size 235's for my DD explorer as well, that's why i cant afford new tires for the B2. on the walmart website, a 31x10.50r15 is $40-$50 cheaper than a 235-75-r15. what the hell is that about?

luckily, i have a buddy that works at just tires, so i'm gonna get a decent set for $500-$600 for my explorer. i plan on driving it until it blows up, it's only got 197,500 miles on it right, so it's barely broken in. lol

country0001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Used 15" tires are a thing of the past. I'm really considering moving up to a 16.

I just bought new 30's back in May and paid $620 for a cooper AT3.

I wanna buy 33's, but its closer to a thousand bucks.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i'm not a fan of the big wheels that trucks have now. i think it looks stupid. a 17" is about as large as i'll ever care to go.

4.0B2

1000+ Watt Stereo
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
treadwright.com
when they have them in stock, make sure to request matching carcasses

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i'm only gonna run 31's for now, so that's fine. i need to get new tires for my DD first, then i'll think about the b2. i can run my current 31's until then.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
got my DD some new tires weekend before last, so i've been lacking in the $$$$ department lately. it sucks being an adult and having to use money to pay for bills and stuff before buying toys lol.

got out to the garage today though. took my tires to my buddy at the tire shop so he could mount them for me.

while i was waiting for the tires to get mounted, so more fender "fell off"the front.

still deciding where i want to take it

i think i'm gonna try and c-list the old wheels, otherwise, they're going to the scrapper. wish i had a place to store them, i'd like to hold onto them.

lil_Blue_Ford

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Those old rims look in pretty good shape... what would you think about holding on to 'em till the next time ya'll are coming up here to visit family and we could do some parts trading?

Looks like you're making some good progress, wish I had a garage I could stuff my project in to work on! (Actually, right now I'd just be happy to have enough money to buy all the crap I need to get my projects together, lol). Keep up the good work!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i'd just give them to you if august were closer. i just dont have room to keep them. my garage is tiny. i've posted them on c-list, but i'm sure nobody will want them.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
put the new wheels on tonight. i like them. cant wait to get some real tires for them

they stick out a good bit further than the old ones

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
much closer now. not having a set of tires/wheels to put on the front was a big hold up lol. i just need to rework my brake lines and get them where i want them, then bleed the brakes, hook up a d-shaft and steering and i'm good to go. possibly this weekend if i can get stuff done after work.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
decided to redo my lower track bar mount. i didnt like it the other way.

started hacking up the cross member as well. not done yet, just needed it out of the way enough to hook up the TB.

decided i'd also redo the drag link mount on the tie rod. there was too much roll with the misalignments in there. just need to get a 3/4" bolt for it.

the TB and DL are about the same length, but not the same angle. gonna run it with the tie rod on top of the knuckle and if i have problems, i'll move it under the knuckle. under the knuckle, everything lines up real nice. i may switch to my old drop pitman arm as well. that way i could double sheer it.

Kyle M.

GOING FOR BROKE
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
Put the draglink on top of the pitman, then double shear it.