•  

Click HERE to join our forum and participate in the discussions.

1988 BII Build

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
If you don't like the bumper then send it to me when finished lol.

My tires did the same thing. Turns out my bearing was taking a puke.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
i'll keep that in mind lol

i hope the unit bearing isnt going out, i dont want to have to buy one of those. but i have no idea what condition they're in since i bought it used. it looked like the person had wheeled the TJ that it came from.

So you have been using what, king pins?
no, i replaced the balljoints on that side for some stupid reason and i dont think i got them tight enough. hopefully that will be the problem and not something major

dangerranger83

Solid Axle Swap
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
I ran mine with used bearings on it for about three months and my axle had a wheeling life before i got it. Three months later one of the bearings grenaded and lost my brakes at the sametime due to the rotor not aligning with the caliper.

Don't go cheap on new ones either, had one grenade on me after 5000 miles and no wheeling was done either, go timken on the bearing. I'm actually still running one of my original ones that came with the axle and its a timken.

Easy way to check, jack up the axle till the tire is off the ground, grab the top of the tire and pull and push it, that's how i found out my last bearing was blown out and it wasn't my master cylinder failing like i thought it was.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
I ran mine with used bearings on it for about three months and my axle had a wheeling life before i got it. Three months later one of the bearings grenaded and lost my brakes at the sametime due to the rotor not aligning with the caliper.

Don't go cheap on new ones either, had one grenade on me after 5000 miles and no wheeling was done either, go timken on the bearing. I'm actually still running one of my original ones that came with the axle and its a timken.

Easy way to check, jack up the axle till the tire is off the ground, grab the top of the tire and pull and push it, that's how i found out my last bearing was blown out and it wasn't my master cylinder failing like i thought it was.

thanks, i'll try that

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
did some bolt installing and went over the ones that were already in to make sure they were tight. still need to tighten some more, but i'm less worried about it falling apart now lol.

took off the pass front tire, found this:

looks like the BJ isnt seated all the way in, i need to get a cheater bar and see if i can tighten the castle nut any further. couldnt do it with my 1/2" ratchet. there's also the chance that auto-bone gave me the wrong BJ. the unit bearing seems fine but who knows.

i put the spare tire on the swing out arm while i have the front tire off, just to see what it looked like and if i had enough room. a stock wheel wont mount to it b/c of the backspacing.

i think b2's look much better with spare tires on them

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
and this is my 6000th post

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
i know, i need to do some solid post whoring so i can get above 10k

n_bannerman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
the new bumper looks great! did you chop the frame horns up at all? im trying to design my front bumper now.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
thanks, i cut them a little at the top, kinda hard to explain. i'll put a pic up once i finish it. i was having a hard time getting the bumper on and off, so i trimmed it up. just need to go back and plate it.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
did a little bit this weekend, not as much as i'd like to have though.

finally got my aussie in my open carrier. got the LSD out of the axle, just need to get the ring on the open carrier now. it almost went on, but not all the way. so i put the carrier in the freezer.

i also went through and checked all the bolts. everything is good and tight now. i'll do another once over on them before i start driving it around.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
trimmed the front fenders to match the bumper last night. looks weird now, but once i paint it it'll look better.

got the ring on the carrier as well, but i broke one of those damn cast factory shims whilst trying to get the thing back in. fawk my life. hopefully ECGS has some and i can go grab them on my lunch break. otherwise i'm gonna have to order them online. uggghh

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
tell me about it, should be mostly done by jan 1....that's the plan at least lol

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
ordered some carrier shims last week, so i started screwing around with the front bumper til they get here, not much else to do til i get them. then i get a call this morning and they're back ordered for 2 weeks. ugh. gonna cancel the order and find some somewhere else. here's the bumper though...

added in the filler pieces and then gave it a good once over with a flap disc on my grinder.

still need to add some metal filler or something to make it look smooth. it's growing on me though

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
oh and put the d-rings on too

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Looking Nice.

Robert

sent with a broking dream and 5 dollars.

crawlin91

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Vehicle
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
nice work, and different from any other bumper Ive seen.